GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Myst V - The Keep Slate! #178929
07/22/07 04:25 AM
07/22/07 04:25 AM
East Sussex, England
A
Ann W-G Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ann W-G  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

East Sussex, England
Hi all, predictably, here I am again! I have drawn the Keep symbolslate 60 times, quite a few very good ones, but still cannot get the Bahro to recognise it. Sometimes he just walks away, and other times he comes back anp places it on the pedestal, but no Keep symbol appears on the right side. Honestly, is this game worth it. I cannot understand the makers spoiling it by not making a save possible, for those of us who really try hard, but cannot get past a certain point. The frustration is really too much, and this is supposed to be a fun thing!! Very depressed, especially after my eventual success with the heating pipes.

Incidentally, I found that the only way to move the buttons was to pull them in the opposite direction, and then they moved quickly and easily!

I think once again I have to abandon this game, although, in saving my game file to disc before un-installing it, and then successfully re-installing at the same spot, I do think I have proved that a save is possible if one does what Rice Burner Kay does....that is, unzips the zipped file, plays past the spot, and then re-zips and returns it by email! She's a diamond!However, admittedly it's still a big file, and finding someone else willing to try and give a similar hand is difficult!
Cheers, Ann W-G catrub

Last edited by Ann W-G; 07/22/07 04:27 AM.

A little Fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses -Chinese Proverb
Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #178982
07/22/07 07:54 AM
07/22/07 07:54 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Ann -- where exactly are you in the game? I had a lot of difficulty getting the slate to recognize my drawings too. Something that seemed to help was drawing the symbols smaller than you would expect.

When you say that no Keep symbol appears -- do you mean on the slate itself or on the pedestal?

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Becky] #178992
07/22/07 08:12 AM
07/22/07 08:12 AM
East Sussex, England
A
Ann W-G Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ann W-G  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

East Sussex, England
Hi Becky, I have just crossed over the heating pipes, and into the Ice cave Bubble. I have now drawn the Keep symbol on the slate more than 70 times, and the Bahro rejects it every time, I was saying that the Keep symbol does not appear on the pedestal.

I could try drawing the symbol smaller, but at present my fingers are swollen and painful!

Thank you for your reply!
Ann

A little Fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses -Chinese Proverb
Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #179006
07/22/07 08:47 AM
07/22/07 08:47 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Ann -- I have an idea -- let me check the Ubisoft site.

Swollen and painful fingers sounds awful!!!

Is Taghira the fourth age you've done -- in other words, have you completed everything else? If not, you could leave the ice age behind for awhile, use one of the pedestals to link back to the original pedestal in the bubble. Then use that linking book to link back to the Great Shaft and find another linking book into another age.

A change of scenery might be just right for awhile, and you can always come back to the icy world right at the end.

EDIT

My husband has reminded me that, at the point in the game you are at, we downloaded a patch for this game. It is only helpful for those with Windows Media Center. It's here if you want to try it.

After this patch, it still took several tries to get the Keep symbol to work, but it DID finally work. We noticed that after the patch, several of the symbols had been simplified (no circles or wavy lines in them any more). This meant that they looked different than in the walkthroughs, but they were significantly simpler to draw.

Last edited by Becky; 07/22/07 08:55 AM. Reason: Added patch info
Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Becky] #179026
07/22/07 09:17 AM
07/22/07 09:17 AM
East Sussex, England
A
Ann W-G Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ann W-G  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

East Sussex, England
Hi Becky, No I have only done K'Veer previously. I didn't realise I could link to another Age and then return at a later date!The game is a bit of a confusing maze isn't it!

My arthritis is playing up quite a bit now, so I think I will have to give it a rest now until next weekend.

I have taken your suggestion on board though,
Thanks very much,
Ann thanks catrub

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #179047
07/22/07 09:54 AM
07/22/07 09:54 AM
East Sussex, England
A
Ann W-G Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ann W-G  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

East Sussex, England
Hi Becky, I have no idea (because the technical stuff eludes me) what 'Media Center Edition' means, so I have downloaded the patch, (Enormous isn't it!) and run it into my game, having done a 'System Restore' beforehand. I really hope it works, but if it doesn't, I can hopefully revert. Do give your Husband a big kissyfor me, will you!

Thanks a bundle, Ann wave catrub

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #179051
07/22/07 09:58 AM
07/22/07 09:58 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Oh, I hope it works! I'll hug hubby -- and if you find that it helps, I'll hug him again. grin

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Becky] #181928
07/29/07 05:48 AM
07/29/07 05:48 AM
East Sussex, England
A
Ann W-G Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ann W-G  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

East Sussex, England
Hi Becky,
After another 35 goes at the Keep symbol, (that's 135 altogether), and now as near perfect as one can get, still no luck! The Bahro rejects it every time! I thought I'd got it licked when I got over the frozen lake! This game cannot be worth all this effort to no avail, and all the swollen painful fingers into the bargain! I'm afraid it has to be abandoned! Life's too short (especially at my age) to be struggling so pointlessly! Regrettably, it's got to go!!!
Thank you for your patience and help!
Ann hardwallduhcry

Last edited by Ann W-G; 07/29/07 05:49 AM.

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #181934
07/29/07 06:24 AM
07/29/07 06:24 AM
Texas
texaslady Offline
The Mischievous Moderator
texaslady  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Texas
I'm so sorry that you won't be able to complete the game Ann but I don't know how to help you get past this area.

Sue

Yesterday is but today's memory, tomorrow is today's dream.
Kahlil Gibran
Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #181950
07/29/07 07:42 AM
07/29/07 07:42 AM
East Sussex, England
A
Ann W-G Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ann W-G  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

East Sussex, England
Hi Sue,
Thanks for your commiserations, I am very sad too as I have enjoyed all the other Myst games, and I do feel rather cheated! It has knocked my confidence a bit, so much so, that I am reluctant to start on the Uru's, all of which I have bought!I do love the wonderful graphics of all the Cyan games, this feels such a letdown!, So, onward and upward, maybe Tunguska or even the Moon!
Cheers, Ann rotflthink catrub

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #181963
07/29/07 08:48 AM
07/29/07 08:48 AM
Calera, Oklahoma
gymcandy1 Offline
Joe's Diner Proprietor
gymcandy1  Offline
Joe's Diner Proprietor
Sonic Boomer

Calera, Oklahoma
Hi Ann. wave

Sorry you can't get that Keep Slate drawing to work. That's vexing. frown

I know I had to draw it quite a few times, but nothing like that. eek

I hope it doesn't keep you from starting the Uru games, because Uru is one of my favorites, and I've always liked Uru much better than Myst 4 or 5. bravo

They're wonderful worlds to walk around in. thumbsup

wave joe

There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven’t yet met.

William Butler Yeats
Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: gymcandy1] #181986
07/29/07 09:31 AM
07/29/07 09:31 AM
Texas
texaslady Offline
texaslady  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Texas
I agree with Joe about Uru Ann!

Sue

Kahlil Gibran
Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: texaslady] #182029
07/29/07 11:04 AM
07/29/07 11:04 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Ann -- definitely don't let drawing on that slate reduce your confidence as a gamer! I can't think of a single other adventure game where you have to draw pictures! (Fortunately. :D)

You have persevered well beyond the call of duty. I admire you so much for it.

Definitely give Uru a try! The environments are beautiful and the game is huge.

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #182728
07/31/07 01:30 AM
07/31/07 01:30 AM
Wilmington, DE
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer
dadguy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Wilmington, DE
Originally Posted By: Ann W-G
Hi Becky, I have just crossed over the heating pipes, and into the Ice cave Bubble. I have now drawn the Keep symbol on the slate more than 70 times, and the Bahro rejects it every time, I was saying that the Keep symbol does not appear on the pedestal.

Hi Ann,

Gameboomers just alerted me to this topic. Maybe I can help.

If I read what you say above and it's accurate, maybe you have already made it into the Keep. There are two "Ice Bubbles", the one where you start the Age and the Keep. The Keep is the one that slides away from you on the other side of the icy pond.

If you haven't made it to the Keep and what you are describing is the Bubble where you start the Age, you might try two things:

1. Don't follow the walkthrough advice of drawing and dropping the slate at the beginning bubble. Instead, draw and drop the slate near the Keep (other side of the pond) and see if that works. That's what I did.

2. The drawing... I wish Cyan had made a "4 draws and a solve" option, but they didn't. I have put a link below to a picture of what the Keep symbol looks like that might help. Sometimes the walkthrough is hard to see... Try that as one last hurrah if you have the energy. And draw and drop across the pond, not at the starting bubble.

It should not take 135 tries or even 10 tries, so I understand if you are frustrated. Give it a try and let us know how you do.

http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/index.php?automodule=gallery&req=si&img=2237

Good luck,

Dadguy

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: dadguy] #182749
07/31/07 05:12 AM
07/31/07 05:12 AM
East Sussex, England
A
Ann W-G Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ann W-G  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

East Sussex, England
Hi Sue, Joe, Becky and Dadguy,

What a great bunch you are, and thank you all for your replies. I have already un-installed Myst V, and started on Tunguska, but will certainly re-install by the weekend, and try again! Dadguy, what a very useful site you have directed me to, and also your drawing. I understand the outline, representing the gravestones stack, but is it only an outline, or is it filled in, and solid colour when seen as you drop the slate? I assumed it was filled in, solid, not just the outlines of the four stones. It took quite a long time and steady (which mine is not) hand to draw the outline, and when filling in, the cursor would escape and move suddenly, outside the outline. (I hope that makes sense to you?)

I am certainly inside the Keep bubble when drawing the symbol, but the W/T picture shows a small symbol at the RHS (as you face it) on the pedestal after the Bahro has accepted the drawing, but I cannot reproduce that. Maybe I am not quite understanding whether I have achieved access to the actual Keep, or not.

I think this game has aged my (already confused) brain by ten years!!!hardwall
Ann thanks catrub

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #182869
07/31/07 11:03 AM
07/31/07 11:03 AM
Wilmington, DE
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer
dadguy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Wilmington, DE
Hello again,

I want to make sure we are communicating properly so you don't get frustrated again; here are my step by step comments:

1. The correct drawing of the Keep symbol is two rectangle outlines (NOT solid) alternated with two smaller rectangle outlines (NOT solid). But, the smaller rectangles can be drawn with just a few lines. To see the best way for drawing the Keep symbol, see my "guide" sketch at the following link. Perhaps this was the problem?

http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/index.php?automodule=gallery&req=si&img=2238

Notice the approximate size on the slate, and try to draw to the same proportions for the best chance of success. I drew this today and it got me to the Keep (Bahro recognised it) the first try. I drew and dropped the slate out by the Keep island, not in the bubble at the Start Pedestal.

2. Let's clarify the two bubbles on the island so you don't misunderstand. The one that you start the Age in is in an ice cave. That one has no name but I refer to it as the Start Pedestal. The other bubble in the Age is the Keep, which is across the pond and is out on a tiny island surrounded by water. It is only accessible by drawing the Keep symbol successfully (can't jump to it) and having the Bahro recognise it and add a link to the Start Pedestal.

3. When you finally link to the Keep, you will hear another speech from Esher, then all that is left to do is click the glowing slate to unlock it from the center brown tablet. Then link back to the Start Pedestal then back to Direbo.

Hope this helps Ann!

smile smile smile

Dadguy

Last edited by dadguy; 08/01/07 08:14 AM.
Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: dadguy] #184714
08/04/07 12:34 PM
08/04/07 12:34 PM
East Sussex, England
A
Ann W-G Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ann W-G  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

East Sussex, England
Whoopee, Dadguy,
You're a Star!!! The link in your last reply was wonderful. It worked first time!! I just can't believe it! You are absolutely correct, I thought it was a solid symbol, rather than an outline, and your diagram was so easy to follow! I was so thrilled that I got carried away, and went nearly all the way through Todelmar, then somehow failed to get the Bahro to draw the 4th symbol at the Control centre, and so had to backtrack, and now have the problem with getting the trolley back to the correct level, however, I have found that there is quite a long thread dealing with this problem,from January 2006,so I will work with that problem tomorrow!

I'm so pleased to be back into Myst V, thank you loads for your patience and help!
Ann bravo kissy catrub

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #184809
08/04/07 05:09 PM
08/04/07 05:09 PM
Wilmington, DE
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer
dadguy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Wilmington, DE
It's nice to get feedback like this, Ann. Thank you. With feedback we can better fine tune our assistance calls.

I am so happy you got through the Taghira Keep!

Have fun with Todelmer!

Dadguy

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: dadguy] #187756
08/11/07 01:04 PM
08/11/07 01:04 PM
East Sussex, England
A
Ann W-G Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ann W-G  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

East Sussex, England
This message is especially for Dadguy, to thank him for his help, but I fear he has not seen it, so I'm trying again .................!

Hi Dadguy,
I hope you're out there! After your terrific help with the Keep Symbol, I have now worked my way through all ages, and finished Myst V! I really enjoyed it, and wouldn't have been able to without your help!
After I have completed Tunguska, I may now be brave enough to tackle the 'Uru' games.
Many thanks, You're a Star!!!
Ann bravothankscatrub

Last edited by Ann W-G; 08/18/07 07:59 AM.

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #190764
08/18/07 08:11 AM
08/18/07 08:11 AM
East Sussex, England
A
Ann W-G Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ann W-G  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

East Sussex, England
Hi Dadguy,

I thought that editing this thread would bring it back to the top, and I was wrong, so I'm trying yet again!

I think my 'Senior Moments' are on the increase!!!
Ann W-G!

Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #190766
08/18/07 08:14 AM
08/18/07 08:14 AM
Texas
texaslady Offline
texaslady  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Texas
No Ann, just editing will not bring a thread back to the front page. But posting on it will!
Glad you were able to finish your game.

Sue

Kahlil Gibran
Re: Myst V - The Keep Slate! [Re: Ann W-G] #190886
08/18/07 01:48 PM
08/18/07 01:48 PM
Wilmington, DE
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer
dadguy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Wilmington, DE
Hello Ann,

Thank you! I did see your report of success! I am so happy that we got you through that spot. smile

Thanks for the lovely note!

Have fun and congrats!!!

Dadguy

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr, Marian 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Urban Worrier, Orion, robedits, oldbroad), 254 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users