GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? #279408
02/15/08 01:37 PM
02/15/08 01:37 PM
United Kingdom
SkeeterUK Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
SkeeterUK  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Just curious as ill be off the net soon and my birthdays coming up on march 22nd so might try getting one of my friends or family to get me a nice adv game thats really a must have adv game like sybera and TLJ was. So anyone know any? Prefer 3rd person point and click and hopefully with a journey of some sorts.

I like detective games, and journey all over type of games the most.

I already have

Syberia collection
TLJ collection
Police Quest 1 and 2
Space Quest 4 i think the time rippers one.
Grim Fandango
Culpra Inerta i think its called
Indiana jones atlantis game
Al Emmo but wasnt as good as i thought.
Alone in the dark 4 (didnt like it)
American Mcgee alice (was good years ago)
All the broken sword games
Bladerunner (awsome adv game based on the film)
Monkey island games
Simon games
Discworld games (1 was boring tho i thought)
Gabreil Knight games
In cold blood (too actiony)
Lure of the tempress (awsome game)
Moment of silence
Secret Files tunguska
Mystery of the druids
Tex Murphy games

Last edited by SkeeterUK; 02/15/08 01:48 PM.
Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: SkeeterUK] #279420
02/15/08 02:15 PM
02/15/08 02:15 PM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
Have you tried the games based on Agatha Cristie novels e.g. games like And then there were none, Murder in the Orient Express or the Delaware St. John games?

The reason I'm asking you about the Agatha Christie games simply is bacause I was at a sort of mall we have near the city where I live in Denmark. And in EB Games (gamestop) they had a two for one pack which had both the And then there were none and Murder on the orient Express for about 20-25£ (pound sterling) for the price of one game. Very nice. I don't know if you can get this in UK, but it's worth a try.

I don't think there has been any defining or legandary games coming out as of yet here in the 2005-2008 or so. Culpa Innata seems like to could be good candidate, so could Sinking Island
(which I really think you should get) and so could the third Agatha Crhistie game *evil under the sun*.

Syberia and The Longest Journey added something completely new to the adventure game. A young women with a troubled past in search of something which took in very nice visual & artistic designed environment. Also, it added depth and character to the main protagonist in an adventure game.

Sinking Island is trying to add a moment of suspense to the game while Evil under the Sun tries to add a new way of telling a game, at least in the adventure game genre.

Maybe in 2 years time or so we will know what games have become known as legendary..

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: Karsten] #279450
02/15/08 03:28 PM
02/15/08 03:28 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Haven't you played Black Mirror yet? What are you waiting for? razz Magnificently atmospheric, eerie & discomforting. Great graphics, too.

NiBiRu is also a cracking game, although the ending has disappointed many here. Still one of my favourites.

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: Rushes] #279503
02/15/08 05:22 PM
02/15/08 05:22 PM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
Hey Skeeter, you played Darkness Within?
Is a great adventure, great ambient sound, graphics and story line

Yes,though i go through the valley of deep shade,i will have no fear of evil;for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort. Salmo23:4
Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: Phoebe] #279966
02/16/08 03:41 PM
02/16/08 03:41 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
PMcOuntry Offline
Settled Boomer
PMcOuntry  Offline
Settled Boomer

Pennsylvania, USA
B. Solka released a game called Paradise, supposed to be like Syberia, but I haven't played it yet, although I do own it.

I'm waiting for Sinking Island and the other new one they are making by him.

Another series I heard was great is The Longest Journey (on my shelf but not played yet) and of course it's sequel Dreamfall which has had good and bad reviews.

I didn't like the Agatha Christie games very much, the first one was pretty good, but the second was really lacking and was highly dissapointed.

I've played many other adventure games, but once done, if they don't really "grab" me I resell them and pretty much forget what they were about, lol.

Patricia

Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: PMcOuntry] #282028
02/20/08 09:25 AM
02/20/08 09:25 AM
Emirates
DrumBeat Offline
Shy Boomer
DrumBeat  Offline
Shy Boomer

Emirates
Broken Sword Collection and then the Runaway Collection are my favorite, try them if you haven't...

Fear God and you will have no cause to fear any one.
Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: DrumBeat] #282052
02/20/08 09:52 AM
02/20/08 09:52 AM
cornwall england
old lady Offline
Settled Boomer
old lady  Offline
Settled Boomer

cornwall england
Barrow Hill and the 2 Darkfall games are good. One of my favorites is Return to Mystery Island. It has lots of different ways to solve each problem so is great fun to play again.

If you liked Syberia why not try Amerzone, I think made by the same developers, with good long journey. It is quite old so check you PC's specs before you buy.

Has any one seen any little gray cells around as I think I've lost some? Reward for finder.
Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: old lady] #282147
02/20/08 12:15 PM
02/20/08 12:15 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Legendary status and within the last two years?

Possibly the new Sam & Max games.

Or Fahrenheit (renamed as Indigo Prophecy in the US). It's not a straight adventure game but you have American McGee's Alice on your list.

---------------

If you're OK with older games, Sanitarium, Morpheus, Timelapse, Journeyman Project 2 and 3, Obsidian, Zork Nemesis, and Zork Grand Inquisitor. I assume you're not interested in the Myst games.

Bad Mojo, where your characher is turned into a cockroach, is in a class by itself. It was updated in 2004 and renamed Bad Mojo Redux.

Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: Jenny100] #282204
02/20/08 01:29 PM
02/20/08 01:29 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
I'll say Still Life, Sinking Island and Keepsake... smile

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: Volkana] #282324
02/20/08 05:39 PM
02/20/08 05:39 PM
Arizona
G
Gillan Offline
Settled Boomer
Gillan  Offline
Settled Boomer
G

Arizona
I just loved Keepsake, Aura and Myst (V) End of Ages ... and have them on the keep shelf to replay again and again.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

- Robert A Heinlein
Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: Gillan] #282356
02/20/08 06:49 PM
02/20/08 06:49 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Space Quest Fan Offline
Graduate Boomer
Space Quest Fan  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Upper Arlington, Ohio
I agree with Rushes. Black Mirror is your game based on the other games you listed in my opinion. Try Sanitarium too.

It's nice to be important but it is much more important to be nice.
Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: Space Quest Fan] #282378
02/20/08 07:40 PM
02/20/08 07:40 PM
United Kingdom
SkeeterUK Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
SkeeterUK  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Oh yeah i forgot to put down that i own Still Life.

Sanatarium and Paradise sound good and look good. Whats amerzone like, i heard its first person but what type of first person is it one screen at a time movement or is it like a fps movement?

I am probably a character driven story kinda guy fan myself. Hence i love playing as ppl in fantastic storys, meeting new ppl and going on a adventure.

I thought Fahrenheit was very nice but the timed actions ruined it for me which i just didnt like doing. If them button mashing timed sequences was out id probably have fell in love with the game as it had a nice story so far but i stoped when i played the cop and had breathing puzzle when i went to the basement.

Last edited by SkeeterUK; 02/20/08 07:49 PM.
Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: SkeeterUK] #282731
02/21/08 12:37 PM
02/21/08 12:37 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
You might want to research Paradise a little before you splash out the cash. Some folk love the game, while others think it's an absolute stinker. There are a few fairly recent threads about it here that you can read up on. smile

Amerzone is truly great. It's a one-screen-at-a-time game. The story is wonderful, the puzzles are not too difficult. It's not a long game to play, maybe 8 hours.

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: Rushes] #284303
02/24/08 12:22 PM
02/24/08 12:22 PM
Minnesota
hapy2bme Offline
Shy Boomer
hapy2bme  Offline
Shy Boomer

Minnesota
I've been trying to play Paradise too. I did download the patch but still have major problems with the cursor jumping all over the screen.
It took me several minutes to hit the "save" and the "yes" buttons.
I dont' think I have the patience for it.
I had huge hopes as I loved both of the Syberia games.

Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: hapy2bme] #284314
02/24/08 12:46 PM
02/24/08 12:46 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi hapy2bme, I had some minor technical problems with the game - have you posted over in Glitches?, they maybe able to help.

I really liked this game but it is not like Amerzone & the Syberia games. You still have the wonderful graphics of Mr Sokal but to really enjoy this game you have to treat it independantly & as a game on it's own in it's own right! smile

Re: Any games in the last 2 years have legendary status like TLJ and syberia? [Re: chrissie] #284931
02/25/08 02:06 PM
02/25/08 02:06 PM
Sumrall, MS
raylinstephens Offline
Addicted Boomer
raylinstephens  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sumrall, MS
I thought Dead Reefs was wonderful after you get used to the keyboard navigation.

And both Ankh games are really funny.

Linda

So many games, so little time.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 491 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users