GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
New criteria for addicted Casual Games players #302094
03/29/08 05:35 PM
03/29/08 05:35 PM
Florida
Teddo Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Teddo  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Florida
Hi all --- I would be curious to find how many are like me? I'm in my 70's, playing casual games when I'm not into a long adventure game like "Lost Crown". Even when I am, I play casual games for about three hours. I'm addicted to the computer, period. I'm partially disabled but not when it comes to games.
Incidentally, I have no children at home (lol) If you're over 50, have no kids at home, are not a knock-out looks wise and wouldn't be caught dead on national TV, and are just a plain addicted person to games, let me hear from you. Love, Teddo

none
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: Teddo] #302104
03/29/08 05:51 PM
03/29/08 05:51 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Hi Teddo,
So how long have you been playing Casual Games like they have at Big Fish Games? I joined their Game Club in December and am up to 12 games now, counting Ghost In The Sheet which is actually an adventure game.
Right now though I'm trying to play Diamonds In The Rough! I thought I was doing fine, but I seem to have hit a snag. I know there are certain things to do but just can't find the way to do them, although I keep learning something new just when I least expect it.

Last edited by sierramindy; 03/29/08 05:52 PM.

To love is to be happy with!
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: sierramindy] #302119
03/29/08 06:28 PM
03/29/08 06:28 PM
Western New York
NYLady Offline
Addicted Boomer
NYLady  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Western New York
Hi Teddo,

Good subject! I was curious as to what the average age of casual gamers is. I'm a very young 64. By that I mean I work full time, still have no gray hair except a few at the temple and people are shocked when I tell them my age. I will feel just awful when they stop being shocked.

I come home at 3 pm and head for the computer. If it's my night to cook I can't get on until 6 frown I'm on it all night playing or posting. Weekends, as soon as my housework is done (not too much with just me and hubby, who is very neat.) I head for the computer and am on for hours on end.

When my cable goes down like it did Wednesday night... I was so lost. I felt like someone set me in a boat and pushed me out to sea.

I guess I am addicted to not only the games, but the Internet too.

I bought my first casual game in 2005. I play adventure too, but not as much because I'm not very good at them... I loved the Sierra King's Quest.

Can't wait to hear from the others here.

Prices are going up everywhere except in our incomes.
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: NYLady] #302200
03/29/08 09:12 PM
03/29/08 09:12 PM
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
I have a feeling that the casual gaming market is going beyond the previous "market." I've read lots of reviews/comments on various sites written by teenagers who are enjoying a lot of casual games. I've also read a fair share of reviews/comments by men as well.

I don't really fit into the previous demographic that well. I am in my early 30s but look and act much younger. I still feel and act like a "kid" -- in a good way, I promise -- and I look much younger and kind of stand out in a crowd.

No kids but plenty of adopted animals. Technically I suppose I am a stay at home mom to them but I do work full-time at home and previously came from an IT and graphic design (separately) background career-wise. I think I'm totally addicted though. I usually have BFG online games or the game community open all the time or have a casual game windowed so I can fit in a few levels in-between projects. laugh

I'm pretty new to casual games and am a pretty avid adventure gamer (ever since KQ 1 "back in the day"). Azada started me off just 3 months ago and I've already bought over 20 games from BFG!

Anyway, I think it's awesome that casual gamers span every age, background, lifestyle, etc. I love seeing the usual demographics changing in gaming.

Last edited by misa; 03/29/08 09:14 PM.
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: misa] #302246
03/30/08 01:26 AM
03/30/08 01:26 AM
BFG-Guy Offline
Settled Boomer
BFG-Guy  Offline
Settled Boomer

About 85% of our customer base is between 35 and 70 with an average age of about 50 and 80% are female. This is across all genres. We have never done a genre specific survey.

This forum is representative of the typical avid casual gamer on our site. That's why love to I hang out on this forum and hear what you have to say. I am just a 41 year old pip-squeak and of the wrong gender. lol

BFG-Guy

"A New Game Every Day!" keeps boredom away.
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: BFG-Guy] #302272
03/30/08 06:07 AM
03/30/08 06:07 AM
Piney Woods of East Texas
joanieS Offline
Addicted Boomer
joanieS  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hi, Teddo. I pretty much fit into your category. Spend at least 3 hours/day at computer. However, other casual gamers probably haven't even tried the Thief series for gaming, which happens to be my first love in gaming for years now. Casual games, only the hidden object ones, are new to me. I'm an adventure player. I tried a hidden object once because I was bored one day and it was offered in my e-mail as a free trial. Have been hooked ever since. I still can't figure out why I get so engrossed hour-after-hour just looking for some partially hidden object. Also, spend 6 days a week at the local gym, lunch frequently with kids and friends. Early to bed, early to rise but not wealthy (for some reason, that dang lottery money just won't fall into my lap), and sort of wise (well, one certainly has learned SOME fair amount by this age).

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." ...unknown
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: joanieS] #302281
03/30/08 07:02 AM
03/30/08 07:02 AM
Central Islip NY
thracia Offline
Addicted Boomer
thracia  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Central Islip NY
I am so there with you guys.I am in my late 40's,female, and have been playing adventure games, as well as video games since the 1980's(even before I had my son). I started out with Nintendo(The original Mario Brothers). Then I discovered games like The Uninvited, Shadow Gate, that got me hooked. My 1st computer game was The Hand Of Fate(1993) and it was all uphill from there. My first casual game was Zuma,and MCF Prime Suspects. Through GB'ers I learned about BigFish and now own about 40 games.I think my love for hidden objects stems from the Highlights magazines I used to read as a kid. I would be more addicted if I had the time. Everyday I check GB'ers first, then go right over to Big Fish. I'd be lost without either one.

PS: We love that you hang out with us BFG-Guy.

thracia

~Didi~
There will come a point in your life, when you realize what really matters, what never did, and what always will.
Unknown
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: thracia] #302291
03/30/08 07:37 AM
03/30/08 07:37 AM
Sumrall, MS
raylinstephens Offline
Addicted Boomer
raylinstephens  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sumrall, MS
I'm 56-1/2 and out-of-work. I tried the side-scroller arcade games and loved them but was never good at them before buying Riddle of the Sphinx because the box shots were just too pretty to be believed. Little did I know how hard the game would be. Went to the R.O.T.S. forum and some blessed person sent me here for a w/t and I was hopelessly hooked on Adventure games.

2-3 years ago a friend told me that I "had" to play MCF Huntsville and later Prime Suspects - didn't go right away, I think it took me another few months before I actually played and just like the others I was hooked. I had actually forgotten how much enjoyment I got out of casual games. Now I must find time for the adventures rotfl

So many games, so little time.
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: raylinstephens] #302359
03/30/08 10:09 AM
03/30/08 10:09 AM
Sacramento, CA
Sly One Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sly One  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sacramento, CA
I'm a 49 yr old female who also looks pretty young for her age. I do however have an eight yr old at home. She is just the love of my life. I am also one who gets up every morning looks at BF first and then right here to GB. Couldn't get through the day without it. I play both adventure and casual. I'm a member at BF for just about a year now and I can't tell you how many games I've purchased. Love the HOG's. I have everyone one of them I think? I also though have been playing Dragonstone and WOW, I really like it. I play some of the match three games and love the brick busters and some of the platform games. I am definitely addicted. I play on the computer first, then do housework. My daughter joins me on some of them, but she also has own that she plays. I would be lost without them. I just recently lost my Mom and so have not been on as much lately. I'm really struggling with it. It was unexpected and she really suffered alot before she passed. I haven't really been playing as much, but the times that I do play kind of keeps me occupied and my mind free from all the mourning that I find I'm having a difficult time with. So YES I love playing games. Keep them coming BF-Guy and I love when you come to visit.

Last edited by Sly One; 03/30/08 10:11 AM.
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: Sly One] #302362
03/30/08 10:15 AM
03/30/08 10:15 AM
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
BFG-Guy: I love that you hang out here too! It would be interesting to see a genre-specific survey of the game club members.

Sly One: I'm sorry to hear about your mom. frown

Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: Teddo] #302363
03/30/08 10:16 AM
03/30/08 10:16 AM
Michigan
Penny Lane Offline
Addicted Boomer
Penny Lane  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Hi Teddo! I will be 58 in May and am totally addicted to HOG's. It all started with the I Spy video game series that I played with my grandchildren and there was no turning back. I was so happy to find Big Fish games! I too am partially handicapped but I can use my computer. It has been a life saver to my boredom. yay

Vulgarity is no substitute for wit..------ Lady Violet Crawley (Downton Abbey)

Marlene aka Penny Lane (Paul McCartney fan)
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: BFG-Guy] #302444
03/30/08 12:22 PM
03/30/08 12:22 PM
Western New York
NYLady Offline
Addicted Boomer
NYLady  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Western New York
Originally Posted By: BFG-Guy
About 85% of our customer base is between 35 and 70 with an average age of about 50 and 80% are female. This is across all genres. We have never done a genre specific survey.

This forum is representative of the typical avid casual gamer on our site. That's why love to I hang out on this forum and hear what you have to say. I am just a 41 year old pip-squeak and of the wrong gender. lol

That's so interesting, I was wondering about the age thing. Here I thought I'd be the oldest gamer around.

I always look for your posts (and I know others do too) because we are interested about things on your end too. I have a son your age... well actually two of them one is 40 and one is 42.
My "baby" is 34. All three have careers in Computers so I had one in 1986! Been addicted every since. I started with the text adventure games. Boy, were those hard!

SLYONE; you sound perfect for the TV thing.

Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: NYLady] #302446
03/30/08 12:26 PM
03/30/08 12:26 PM
Sacramento, CA
Sly One Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sly One  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sacramento, CA
Misa Thank you. It is really difficult for me right now, but this site makes things a little easier.

NYLady, I don't know about the TV thing. I'm rather a private person and I don't know that I can do it. I did read it however and I thought about it for a long time, but I'm just not sure it's me. I'm sure there is someone out there that is just perfect for it. thanks for the vote of confidence though and thanks for the PM. That's why coming to GB everyday is part of my life.

Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: Sly One] #302671
03/30/08 06:54 PM
03/30/08 06:54 PM
St louis, Mo
owlluv Offline
Settled Boomer
owlluv  Offline
Settled Boomer

St louis, Mo
Although I am 49 years young I got involved w/casual games. My first was the bugs offered through satellite tv My oldest son had a computer built for me to play games on I didn't like getting killed in adventure games so I got Pandora's Box and I took off from there.
I now have over 100+ games most from BFG and another site I utilize from every now and then. My boys are teenagers and they prefer to play sports and my hubby watches every sport on tv so casual gaming is my luxury and outlet. BFG is the ultimate in the casual gaming genre and I really appreciate all they have to offer. They have something for everyone.

Sly one I also suffered that same loss and games and the Boomers have really helped me through it. So hang in there we are here for you.

Evie

Doldrums getting you down? Post w/ the Boomers and turn those frowns upside down!
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: owlluv] #302706
03/30/08 07:59 PM
03/30/08 07:59 PM
Tacoma Wa. 98445
S
sami5901 Offline
Addicted Boomer
sami5901  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Tacoma Wa. 98445
Hi Teddo, I'm 66 and very addicted not unusual to sit all day from morning to night and play games. My first game I started out with was Treasure Quest. I played that game for a solid year until I figured out there were more games besides that one. I think that was back in 1994. I never look back just keep going forward. I play all the casual games from Bigfish( mostly hide and seek) and every adventure game I can get my hands on. I have boxes and boxes piled upon each other clear up to the ceiling. I can barely get in my bedroom. It's like a game vault.LOL I love it. Well off to play. Diane

Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: sami5901] #302721
03/30/08 08:54 PM
03/30/08 08:54 PM
Sacramento, CA
Sly One Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sly One  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sacramento, CA
Thanks owlluv. That's why I come here all the time. It's like being home.

Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: Sly One] #302870
03/31/08 09:08 AM
03/31/08 09:08 AM
Western New York
NYLady Offline
Addicted Boomer
NYLady  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Western New York
Owl: I loved Pandora's Box and was hoping there would be a sequel. Not. frown

Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: Teddo] #303601
04/01/08 12:37 PM
04/01/08 12:37 PM
Mt Prospect, Illinois
butterflybabe Offline
Addicted Boomer
butterflybabe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Mt Prospect, Illinois
NYLady, interesting that you mention 'Pandora's Box'. That's the game that got me hooked on PC games and puzzles. Like you I was waiting and hoping and disappointed when a sequel did not appear on the horizon. So I switched to ND games and have gone thru all of those. Now BFG gets most of my game money. I've lost count of how many I've purchased shocked and enjoyed lol

My bio: In May I'll be 55 and married 26 years. No kids. I have enough with dogs, my hubby and his mom who was a significant part of my life until was sent to peace last year. I work 25 hours as week as an administrative assistant at a community college. I'm usually off by 3 or 3;30 and, if there are no chores or doc appts. That gives me about 2 hrs before dinner, then I play from 9 or 10 until 11 or 12. When I can pull myself away from the games, I read and write.

wave puppy

Life's a puzzle; one piece at a time.
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: butterflybabe] #304135
04/02/08 10:01 AM
04/02/08 10:01 AM
Florida
Teddo Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Teddo  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Florida
Thanks all for letting me know who my fellow players are. What a diverse group. Love, Teddo

none
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: Teddo] #304594
04/02/08 09:44 PM
04/02/08 09:44 PM
FORT PIERCE, FLORIDA USA
PATSY Offline
Addicted Boomer
PATSY  Offline
Addicted Boomer

FORT PIERCE, FLORIDA USA
I see lots of May birthdays. I'll be 76 in May & am so addicted to casual & adventure point & click, no shooter. Have several illnesses & stay in a recliner all the time.Been married 58 years. Playing on laptop constantly. Love Gameboomers. I think we're all very compatible.

PATSY
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: PATSY] #304935
04/03/08 01:17 PM
04/03/08 01:17 PM
Surprise, AZ
Adorable Offline
Settled Boomer
Adorable  Offline
Settled Boomer

Surprise, AZ
Well, so far I'm the oldest gamer on this thread (79 this coming June). I have played casual games starting with Big Kahuna and Pandora's Box. Thank goodness for BFG and the BFG guy for keeping them coming. My husband likes them too. I also have a LARGE collection of adventure games, which my husband got me interested in when he was playing the games like Under the Killing Moon and Pandora Directive. Started with the first Myst games and been at it ever since, although my preference is third person point and click. Been into computers since the early 80's when I was still working and convinced my boss to go for it. Still am addicted and very seldom miss a day turning on one of the four machines we have in the house.

Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: Adorable] #305282
04/04/08 04:27 AM
04/04/08 04:27 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
Adorable I'm in my 60s and like you I started with Myst Games and have been playing ever since.

Gerry
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: Kaki's Sister] #305917
04/05/08 07:42 AM
04/05/08 07:42 AM
joanieS Offline
Addicted Boomer
joanieS  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I think you win, Adorable, at 79! Have read on this site before how many seniors are into gaming and I keep forgetting that. Reminds me why I feel so welcome and at home spending time at GameBoomers with The Gray Gamers.

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." ...unknown
Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: PATSY] #305943
04/05/08 09:10 AM
04/05/08 09:10 AM
Western New York
NYLady Offline
Addicted Boomer
NYLady  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Western New York
I'm lovin' seeing you 70 plus gamers out there... it shows me there is a lot of games in my future!!!

Sixties Gamer
NY LADY
Barb

Re: New criteria for addicted Casual Games players [Re: sami5901] #308965
04/11/08 12:02 AM
04/11/08 12:02 AM
Elk Grove CA
puzzler46 Offline
Settled Boomer
puzzler46  Offline
Settled Boomer

Elk Grove CA
Hi Teddo, I'm 61 and very addicted to casual and adventure games -especially since I retired. I spend most of my free time at the computer, I also get a new jigsaw puzzle sent online every week from a man in Australia. I thought I was the only older one playing games - I'm so glad to see that I am in good company.
Kathy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Uncle Reg), 484 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users