GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: Nikolas] #307700
04/08/08 04:15 PM
04/08/08 04:15 PM
Denmark
jedi valius Offline
Settled Boomer
jedi valius  Offline
Settled Boomer

Denmark
Just began playing DITR today! I eagerly installed it and pleasantly surprised by how quick it got installed! ( that´s the pro with non-fancy graphics hehe). My first impression was that I was in a time machine! Suddenly I was back playing the old Sierra games like Indiana Jones! Was that intentional? I suspect so as there is a lovely nostalgic feeling to this game! Even though the subject matter is very modern and the thought panel innovative, I find the lack of fancy graphics/voices and the detailed description of everything in the room very old style. I have a feeling the author prefers a really good story to a lot of eye candy...understandbly so as a lot of the adventure games as of late have been as pleasant to the eye as they have been empty in storytelling. I personally prefer a bit of both, however I am finding DITR refreshing so far as I am sure the story will not let me down and let´s face it...it is nice with a trip down the adventure games memory lane as well!

Gnothi Seauton
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: jedi valius] #307734
04/08/08 05:31 PM
04/08/08 05:31 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Hi jedi valius,
I know what you mean about the time machine to the old-style graphics and I enjoyed the nostalgic feeling very much too. I don't mean to be nit-picky here, but of all the great games that Sierra Online made, Indiana Jones was not one of them. It was made by LucasArts. Just to give credit where credit is due since I am a great big fan of Indy! Of Sierra too, for that matter. Just check out my username for a clue! Anyway, I really enjoyed playing DITR with its mix of old and new!

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: sierramindy] #307876
04/09/08 03:18 AM
04/09/08 03:18 AM
Denmark
jedi valius Offline
Settled Boomer
jedi valius  Offline
Settled Boomer

Denmark
Hey Sierra smile I should have mentioned the first Gabriel Knight as an example instead smile Of course Indiana Jones was made by Lucas Arts! I should know as I am a big star wars fan haha Guess that Sierra is the first name that comes to mind when thinking about the first adventure games, but Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis was my very first adventure game ever so I guess I mixed up the two smile Anyway yes it is good with an old fanshioned interface once in a while, but I must add that the best or most nostalgica interface can not carry an adventure game. I remember playing Martin Mystere which has a very nice old and neat interface , but the story was a bit weak, so I quickly forgot all about, while IJ and the fate of atlantis still remains in my memory after all these years! From the comments I have read, I suspect DITR will keep me glued to the screen with its original and sweeping story!

Gnothi Seauton
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: jedi valius] #307898
04/09/08 04:51 AM
04/09/08 04:51 AM
Athens, Greece
alkis21 Offline
Settled Boomer
alkis21  Offline
Settled Boomer

Athens, Greece
With such a nickname, you should never confuse Sierra with LucasArts! grin

Yes the nostalgic feeling is intentional. If you want, you can read what I posted in this thread about what I was trying to achieve with DITR. That is why the game features countless hotspots, text descriptions, multiple cursors, a scoring system etc. The graphics are of course the result of a low budget, if I had a million Euros the game would look better, particularly the characters. Hopefully DITR will bring enough revenue for my future games to look better. However, I don't think I'll ever make full 3D games as they're really not my cup of tea.

Atropos Studios
Nothing adventured, nothing gained
Visit our web site to order Diamonds in the Rough
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: alkis21] #307907
04/09/08 05:49 AM
04/09/08 05:49 AM
Denmark
jedi valius Offline
Settled Boomer
jedi valius  Offline
Settled Boomer

Denmark
Hi Alkis,

yes 3D is certainly not a must to make a good game! I think 2D looks just as well and it can have the most gorgeous graphics and I do hope you will be able to have a bigger budget on your next game. I just passed the authentication test in the game and I must admit it was the most original way I have ever seen to authenticate the game copy as legit! It shows that it is a game done by a gamer who loves adventure games. I am enjoying my hours with Jason Hart , so thank you!

Gnothi Seauton
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: jedi valius] #307928
04/09/08 07:15 AM
04/09/08 07:15 AM
stoke on trent England
dragonuk44 Offline
Addicted Boomer
dragonuk44  Offline
Addicted Boomer

stoke on trent England
alkis 21 I enjoyed the game very much .Thank you .Hope you will be doing another one soon.The grafics dont bother me it is the story that matters in my eyes and you got that right in my book.I will be eagerly waiting your next game bravo wave thumbsup

s wheeldon
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: dragonuk44] #308043
04/09/08 10:39 AM
04/09/08 10:39 AM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Personally I liked the graphics a whole lot and I can still recall everything from spending so many hours there in DITR-land with Jason who was a great character so I enjoyed being there with him. This is more than I can say for Martin Mystere who bored me to tears, especially since I had read that he was a combination of Gabriel Knight and Indiana Jones. Maybe my expectations were too high but he totally disappointed me. I used the walkthrough almost all the way just to finish the game as fast as I could. The curiosity factor still worked that much or I wouldn't have even bothered to finish. Not so with Jason, he was a dream. Thanks to all those who helped me when I wasn't clever enough to figure certain things out for myself so I didn't even peek at a walkthrough. It was a great experience all around, so I'll add my thanks, Alkis, for a game well done.

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: sierramindy] #308049
04/09/08 10:49 AM
04/09/08 10:49 AM
stoke on trent England
dragonuk44 Offline
Addicted Boomer
dragonuk44  Offline
Addicted Boomer

stoke on trent England
With grafics I guess to a certain point it all comes down to money but good grafics dont make a good game its the story and as sierrimindy says the charectors was good and I loved Jason and the place looked nice .The story is the main thing to me .

s wheeldon
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: dragonuk44] #308063
04/09/08 11:10 AM
04/09/08 11:10 AM
Athens, Greece
alkis21 Offline
Settled Boomer
alkis21  Offline
Settled Boomer

Athens, Greece
It would be great if everyone thought like you guys. But alas, we live in a world where looks beat quality 9 times out of 10.

It's a good thing Nikolas and I have both. lol

Atropos Studios
Nothing adventured, nothing gained
Visit our web site to order Diamonds in the Rough
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: alkis21] #308077
04/09/08 11:24 AM
04/09/08 11:24 AM
London
Nikolas Offline
Shy Boomer
Nikolas  Offline
Shy Boomer

London
Originally Posted By: alkis21
Ιt's a good thing Nikolas and I have both. lol
Good thing you said it buddy! laugh

Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: alkis21] #308087
04/09/08 11:37 AM
04/09/08 11:37 AM
Denmark
jedi valius Offline
Settled Boomer
jedi valius  Offline
Settled Boomer

Denmark
Originally Posted By: alkis21
It would be great if everyone thought like you guys. But alas, we live in a world where looks beat quality 9 times out of 10.

It's a good thing Nikolas and I have both. lol

Hmm I am not sure Alkis. I have played plenty of games with fantastic graphic but with a very disappointing story and they have left me no lasting impression...so yes great graphics are a good eye candy but only as a complement to a great story, otherwise they are a beautiful empty shell...I think adventure game players are very discerning when it comes to the quality of the game they are playing, especially cuz we immerse ourselves in the world of the game so we need a story that takes us along and invites us to explore further. I´ll cite Culpa Innata as a game with mediocre graphic and a fantastic story I still remember and cherish, so have faith in the gamers Alkis..I think most of them have great discernment and treasure the games which give them a really good story above all, a great graphic is a plus but not a determinant factor smile

Gnothi Seauton
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: jedi valius] #308111
04/09/08 12:44 PM
04/09/08 12:44 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

Quote:
It's a good thing Nikolas and I have both.

If only that was true alkis; and nicolas hohoho eek laugh

Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: LindaMarion] #308114
04/09/08 12:54 PM
04/09/08 12:54 PM
London
Nikolas Offline
Shy Boomer
Nikolas  Offline
Shy Boomer

London
I guess you're right! I think it's 8 times out of 10 where looks beat quality!

and the fact that me and alkis have both, still remains! laugh

Ok, enough of that I think.

About DITR now! I'm a man of form! I study music in a PhD level atm, and I'm rather obsessed with form. And I have to say that DITR has a very precise form. I tend to believe that form (or architecture, or planning if you will) is what makes coherence more evident and I would like your opinion about this, please. In other words, I found that everything was leading towards the finale in game, just couldn't make out what was happening before I knew the finale. Nothing was random!

I did work for the game, and thus my opinion could be biased, but... what about the rest?

Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: Nikolas] #308142
04/09/08 01:32 PM
04/09/08 01:32 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
I have played too many games with really wonderful graphics but the story was... how can i put this delicately...? Well it couldn't keep me inside the game... But DITR when i stopped playing it i still thinking about it... what next etc... I didn't mind the graphics at all and i don't thing they were old fashioned... Better this than this awful 3D tries in some games smile

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: Volkana] #308146
04/09/08 01:36 PM
04/09/08 01:36 PM
Denmark
jedi valius Offline
Settled Boomer
jedi valius  Offline
Settled Boomer

Denmark
Well it seems the adventure community is split when it comes to graphics and especially 3D graphics. My take on it is that beautiful graphics contribute to immerse yourself into the world that has been created and so yes I love them when they enhance my experience and enjoyment of the story, which however still remains the most important thing. In DITR I can see the graphics are quite retro , whether that is partly nostalgic or partly for lack of funds, and while that does not bother me and I keep playing because the story is good, better graphics can never be a bad thing in my opinion, if they are there to enhance an already great story.

Gnothi Seauton
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: jedi valius] #308158
04/09/08 01:53 PM
04/09/08 01:53 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
No doubt about that Jedi Valius but some 3D graphics are so poor that the head of the main character has 4 corners on it lol

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: Volkana] #308191
04/09/08 02:53 PM
04/09/08 02:53 PM
Denmark
jedi valius Offline
Settled Boomer
jedi valius  Offline
Settled Boomer

Denmark
Volkana: LOL I don´t think I´ve ever encountered such bad graphic! haha

Gnothi Seauton
Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: jedi valius] #308194
04/09/08 02:59 PM
04/09/08 02:59 PM
London
Nikolas Offline
Shy Boomer
Nikolas  Offline
Shy Boomer

London
Actually "alone in the dark", which is an excellent game, other than that, had awfully rendered characters. That because the game was playable in a 386, which is amazing, if you think about it! (game of 1992-93 I think)

Re: Diamonds in the Rough Has Released! [Re: Nikolas] #308202
04/09/08 03:09 PM
04/09/08 03:09 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

I agree Jedi V. good graphics can add to already good game but mustnt be instead of good story puzzles gameplay etcetra

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 309 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users