GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? #308472
04/10/08 07:15 AM
04/10/08 07:15 AM
Dublin, Ireland
metzomagic Offline OP
Settled Boomer
metzomagic  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Dublin, Ireland
Folks, hi,

I've been following the Adventure Game Help forum with great interest over the past week, since I completed The Lost Crown myself and wrote a review:

http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/dispArticle.jsp?index=833

and walkthrough:

http://www.spyglassguides.com/

The Lost Crown is quite a difficult game if you're not methodical, because Jonathan has designed it (rightly or wrongly, it's his game) in a way that if you don't do the following things in each location/time frame:

1. Exhaust all conversation topics
2. Examine *everything* that exhibits a magnifying glass icon
3. Solve all the puzzles

then he won't let you leave that location or time frame. So what I'm seeing repeatedly in the Help forum is this:

1. Help! I'm at location X in Day/Night Y and I've done everything I'm supposed to do but the game won't let me leave!
2. GameBoomers rope in with ideas of what the person may have neglected to do, which is pretty futile. Only close examination of a walkthrough is going to tell the person what they may have missed!
3. Person asks for saved game (which to me ruins the whole experience of playing an adventure game in the first place. A saved game should only be requested, IMO, if you can't get past either a bug or an unreasonable arcade sequence. Not just because you've missed something. But maybe that's a subject for another topic ;-)
4. Rinse and repeat

So... is The Lost Crown just too tough for adventure game newbies?

Regards,
MetzO'Magic

Now playing:
Paradise Killer

Running very old games on Windows 10? Then visit Steve's Legacy Games Corner!
Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: metzomagic] #308473
04/10/08 07:20 AM
04/10/08 07:20 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I thought it was one of the easiest games in a while and did not find a walkthrough necessary. Everything was very keenly laid out and it flowed beautifully. There was only a couple times I was tripped up and took a bit to see what I should do.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #308477
04/10/08 07:30 AM
04/10/08 07:30 AM
West London, UK
JennyP Offline
Adept Boomer
JennyP  Offline
Adept Boomer

West London, UK
Its a lovely game, newbies would adore it. I did lots of vague wandering but the game is so wonderful that wandering was a pleasure.

When in doubt, cuddle a catcatrub
Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: JennyP] #308478
04/10/08 07:33 AM
04/10/08 07:33 AM
Ormond By The Sea ,Florida
Sassafras Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sassafras  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ormond By The Sea ,Florida
I thought it was pretty easy and straight forward too. Didn't need a walkthrough, except for the sound puzzles which I didn't even attempt. I really liked the fact that you couldn't leave an area until you had done everyhting that need to be done. Saved a lot of silly wandering around! I think it would be a great game for a newbie!

Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #308485
04/10/08 07:39 AM
04/10/08 07:39 AM
Dublin, Ireland
metzomagic Offline OP
Settled Boomer
metzomagic  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Dublin, Ireland
With due respect, Ana, I think you could hardly call yourself an adventure game 'newbie' (not with almost 29,000 posts in these forums rotfl)

My question more pertains to those just starting out in the genre, like having played maybe 10 adventure games or less.

Regards,
MetzO'Magic

Now playing:
Paradise Killer

Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: metzomagic] #308515
04/10/08 08:24 AM
04/10/08 08:24 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Maybe we need input from someone who has played Lost Crown and not many other adventure games. Is there someone here who has only played a handful of adventures, with Lost Crown among them? If so, we'd love to hear your input. wave

Metzo -- the posts in Hints have to be weighed by how many people are playing the game. If 50 Gameboomers are playing a game and 30 of them post because they are having these problems, that would mean that the game is more difficult than if 3,000 GameBoomers are playing the game and 30 of them post about the difficulties. There are a lot of people playing this game now. So it's really hard to judge because we don't know the overall numbers. (Does this make sense?) grin

Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: Becky] #308529
04/10/08 08:40 AM
04/10/08 08:40 AM
cornwall england
old lady Offline
Settled Boomer
old lady  Offline
Settled Boomer

cornwall england
Perfect sense Becky. thumbsup
I can't claim to be the person who has only played a few games, however, I think, that with the help of the w/t when needed, the lost crown would be an excellent first game. The story line is so strong, that, like a good novel you would not want to put it away unfinished. It is also very logical and the hints are in the game.
Playing this with the help of the w/t would help you understand the way adventure games are played and to get into the mind-set of the deveopers.
The only problem is that it might spoil you for follow up games think

Has any one seen any little gray cells around as I think I've lost some? Reward for finder.
Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: old lady] #308562
04/10/08 09:25 AM
04/10/08 09:25 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I don't think it's too "difficult" puzzlewise.
But it does require you to be methodical and thorough -- moreso than most other games. And it's possible to miss things, even with a walkthrough, unless you're very careful. Using the walkthrough only "when needed" is a good way to get stuck, unless you're willing to go back and redo a lot to find that one hotspot you missed clicking on.

Originally Posted By: metzomagic
3. Person asks for saved game (which to me ruins the whole experience of playing an adventure game in the first place. A saved game should only be requested, IMO, if you can't get past either a bug or an unreasonable arcade sequence. Not just because you've missed something.

You can understand why people do this though. They don't have the patience to go back and replay so much of the game. And even if they do have the patience, how can they be sure they aren't stuck because of a bug? I wouldn't say Lost Crown is an "easy" game for newbies, though experienced players may find it easy.

Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: Jenny100] #308589
04/10/08 10:22 AM
04/10/08 10:22 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

I haven't even started the game myself yet and definitely can't be called an "adventure newbie" but what I would say is that when I WAS an "adventure newbie" I found "linear" games to be rather a good thing .... for me, anyway.

Because when I couldn't leave an area I knew it was because I hadn't found everything or completed everything. So I knew I had to go over the ground again - and possibly again !!

Of course not having played the game yet I'm not aware of how difficult it might be in this case to find/complete everything in a given area woozy

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: Mad] #308611
04/10/08 10:52 AM
04/10/08 10:52 AM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Hi, metzomagic

You make a good point,but when I was a newbie many moons ago...I would of found this game very easy.. "Why" because you are not allowed to leave a certain area until you found all the clues..

That to me can't get any easier !!! happydance

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: Darleen03] #308686
04/10/08 01:07 PM
04/10/08 01:07 PM
Brazil
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer
Phoebe  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Brazil
Hey Metzomagic

I think the Lost Crown it is not a difficult game, you not need of walktrhough for playing the game.The most important is complete everything in all area and to have attention..but the puzzles they are easy.For experience players is a easy game.

Love Maria hearts

Yes,though i go through the valley of deep shade,i will have no fear of evil;for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort. Salmo23:4
Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: Darleen03] #308716
04/10/08 01:53 PM
04/10/08 01:53 PM
Dublin, Ireland
metzomagic Offline OP
Settled Boomer
metzomagic  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Dublin, Ireland
Boomers, hi again,

Wow, that was a quick response. Becky said:

Quote:
Metzo -- the posts in Hints have to be weighed by how many people are playing the game. If 50 Gameboomers are playing a game and 30 of them post because they are having these problems, that would mean that the game is more difficult than if 3,000 GameBoomers are playing the game and 30 of them post about the difficulties. There are a lot of people playing this game now. So it's really hard to judge because we don't know the overall numbers. (Does this make sense?)

Yes, it does. I was estimating that maybe 100 or so Boomers are currently playing this game, and that the pleas for help were quite frequent, all considered.

old lady said:

Quote:
I can't claim to be the person who has only played a few games, however, I think, that with the help of the w/t when needed, the lost crown would be an excellent first game. The story line is so strong, that, like a good novel you would not want to put it away unfinished. It is also very logical and the hints are in the game.

Playing this with the help of the w/t would help you understand the way adventure games are played and to get into the mind-set of the deveopers.

The only problem is that it might spoil you for follow up games

Well said praise

Jenny said (regarding requests for saved games):

Quote:
You can understand why people do this though. They don't have the patience to go back and replay so much of the game. And even if they do have the patience, how can they be sure they aren't stuck because of a bug? I wouldn't say Lost Corwn is an "easy" game for newbies, though experience players may find it easy.

I think it's evident that people are getting less and less patient now that we have all these fantastic web resources to hand. And that's my main point: why would you ask for a saved game to get you by a *puzzle*?! (Still Life spider bot quick reflexes required type puzzles aside, of course) OK, so you're absolutely stumped why you can't...

Click to reveal..
get to the point where the 'cat' is trapped in the chest at the end of the bed. So you consult a walkthrough. Oh, I forgot to pick up the phone! Or... hmm. I think I did all that, but let me go back and try again to make sure. What does that take? 10 minutes of your time? I remember being stuck on puzzles for *days at a time* before the web existed.

...so I think the whole 'impatience' bit is ruining the adventure game experience.

Thanks for the feedback,
MetzO'Magic

Now playing:
Paradise Killer

Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: metzomagic] #308746
04/10/08 03:01 PM
04/10/08 03:01 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: metzomagic
I think it's evident that people are getting less and less patient now that we have all these fantastic web resources to hand. And that's my main point: why would you ask for a saved game to get you by a *puzzle*?! (Still Life spider bot quick reflexes required type puzzles aside, of course) OK, so you're absolutely stumped why you can't...

You have to remember that the most impatient gamers are those who wouldn't be playing the games at all otherwise. And it isn't simply a matter of existing gamers getting less and less patient. It's also a matter of more people becoming adventure gamers, and those new gamers being more easily frustrated, thinking they're doing something wrong, etc. It's also a matter of established gamers having less gaming time than they used to -- and not being willing to spend more than a certain amount of time on one puzzle (especially if they don't like that type of puzzle).

Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: Darleen03] #308759
04/10/08 03:33 PM
04/10/08 03:33 PM
Colorado
ssgamer Offline
Addicted Boomer
Happy Birthday ssgamer  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Colorado
Hi,
I'm not a newbie, but I still have (not finished yet) had to revert to the walk through and still, with help spent time looking for things, so it's not an impossible game just tricky. No sliders Yet, or mazes, but I have spent a lot of time wandering around.
Charllotte

Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: ssgamer] #308806
04/10/08 05:37 PM
04/10/08 05:37 PM
Dublin
Teresa D Offline
Settled Boomer
Teresa D  Offline
Settled Boomer

Dublin
I didn't find it a difficult game to play. Sometimes I prefer games where you can't leave an area until it's completed. I always find it a bit strange when I "discover" something and the character knows what it is or what it's for, but shouldn't, because I've missed something else.

If there's a difficulty it's that the story is quite complex. There's another fascinating thread here somewhere with speculations about hidden meanings and references, a lot of which I missed, which makes me want to start again. After Rhem 3 that is slapforehead , so it might take some time.

Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: Jenny100] #308812
04/10/08 05:53 PM
04/10/08 05:53 PM
Dublin, Ireland
metzomagic Offline OP
Settled Boomer
metzomagic  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
You have to remember that the most impatient gamers are those who wouldn't be playing the games at all otherwise. And it isn't simply a matter of existing gamers getting less and less patient. It's also a matter of more people becoming adventure gamers, and those new gamers being more easily frustrated, thinking they're doing something wrong, etc. It's also a matter of established gamers having less gaming time than they used to -- and not being willing to spend more than a certain amount of time on one puzzle (especially if they don't like that type of puzzle).

I suppose one does tend to forget what it was like to be an adventure game newbie oneself all those years ago, Jenny. Thanks for reminding me lol

Cheers,
MetzO'Magic

Now playing:
Paradise Killer

Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: metzomagic] #308831
04/10/08 06:22 PM
04/10/08 06:22 PM
Florida
Teddo Offline
Settled Boomer
Teddo  Offline
Settled Boomer

Florida
Hey!!!

Everybody has a different reason for consulting a walkthrough or not doing so. I am partially disabled and if I consult a walkthrough what difference does it make to anyone else? I play these games for my enjoyment. Frankly I don't care what judgment anyone else makes. I'm having a good time. Love, Teddo

none
Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: Teddo] #308846
04/10/08 06:52 PM
04/10/08 06:52 PM
Dublin, Ireland
metzomagic Offline OP
Settled Boomer
metzomagic  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Dublin, Ireland
Teddo, hi,

No one here is criticising anyone for using a walkthrough (in fact, I'm a veteran walkthrough writer. I *want* people to consult my walkthroughs when they get stuck), so sorry if you took this thread the wrong way.

In fact, we're talking about The Lost Crown being not too difficult in the traditional puzzle sense, but rather picky about what things you must do in order to progress the game. Another game that I can recall being similar in this respect was Gabriel Knight 3. But that game was quite a lot harder than The Lost Crown in most aspects...

So, the question at hand is really one of this game's suitability to those new to the adventure game genre. A lot of people seem to find it heavy going duh

Regards,
MetzO'Magic

Now playing:
Paradise Killer

Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: metzomagic] #308848
04/10/08 06:57 PM
04/10/08 06:57 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
It seems like all the posters here agree the game was fairly easy to progress unless I am misreading.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #308850
04/10/08 07:00 PM
04/10/08 07:00 PM
Texas
texaslady Offline
The Mischievous Moderator
texaslady  Offline
The Mischievous Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Texas
I don't see why anyone would have all that much difficulty playing this game with or without a w/t. There is a logical progression to the game that doesn't allow you to veer far if you haven't found things that are necessary.
I think a newbie could play it with maybe a little help.

Sue

Yesterday is but today's memory, tomorrow is today's dream.
Kahlil Gibran
Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: texaslady] #308952
04/10/08 10:59 PM
04/10/08 10:59 PM
Larnaca, Cyprus
Butcher Offline
Addicted Boomer
Butcher  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Larnaca, Cyprus
Yeah i have to agree that the game does help people a lot of what they need to do, whether they have forgotten something. When i was in the museum it wouldn't allow me to leave or when i had to do something in the cottage it kept telling me "i should investigate further before going to sleep". Or when i had to go somewhere and i was in the open and changed location it kept saying something like "I should go to XXX to do this YYY". Or when trying to detect activity and it found something it kept saying "I should try something else", or when something was recorded it said "I should listen to the recording". The clues of the puzzles were in front of you, you just had to relate each clue with each puzzle. I played this game without a walkthrough and found it relatively easy, what i had to do was to use my brain.

Spyros

"Cannot The Kingdom Of Salvation Take Me Home?"

R.I.P Cliff Burton
Re: The Lost Crown: too difficult for newbies? [Re: Butcher] #309829
04/12/08 04:33 PM
04/12/08 04:33 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
The game itself helped me when i was stuck... You can't do many things if you haven't done some others.
I agree with you butcher about not letting you leave the museum and the church was a great help. I could wondering for hours... smile
It isn't hard at all for newbies grin

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (dianne), 463 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users