GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Overclocked issue #318538
04/28/08 10:52 PM
04/28/08 10:52 PM
Lower Mainland, BC
mission Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mission  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Lower Mainland, BC
I'm afraid I may have wasted $29.95 + $5.00 shipping on Overclocked. Not to mention I waited 13 days for the game to be delivered.

The installation went fine but when I launched Overclocked, click "Start New Game", I get the following:

Quote:
Error in function cCougarGraphics::cCougarGraphics
Direct3D initialization failed.
Direct3D Error code: 0x8876086c, D3DERR_INVALIDCALL
Invalid call
File: .\source\class_graphics.cpp, Line: 205

My system config is as follows:

Quote:

1. Operating system
Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000)
2. Processor model and speed
Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
3. Amount of memory (RAM)
1014MB RAM
4. Video card brand and model
Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family
5. The driver name/version
igdumd32.dll / 7.14.0010.1114
6. The driver date
11/5/2006 19:29:36, 2105344 bytes

This following link
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-014257.htm
states the graphics controller Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family supports Vertex Shaders and Pixel Shaders.

Any suggestions or should I throw Overclocked into the garbage bin?

Re: Overclocked issue [Re: mission] #318557
04/29/08 12:10 AM
04/29/08 12:10 AM
Pinson, Al USA
Robert Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Pinson, Al USA
Unfortunately your Integrated Graphics video device is not sufficient to play this game. The video card is, by far, the most important component for playing PC games. Integrated Graphics processors are not really suitable for PC gaming.

I wouldn't throw the game in the garbage bin. If you don't have a computer to play it on that's more suitable for gaming, then perhaps trade it for something else, or sell it.

Re: Overclocked issue [Re: Robert] #318562
04/29/08 12:38 AM
04/29/08 12:38 AM
Lower Mainland, BC
mission Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mission  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Lower Mainland, BC
Thanks, Robert for getting back to me. It sounds like the Shader Model 1.1 is the culprit. I do not have problems with my other games (Nibiru, Secret Files) and these games did not mention Shader Model.

I think most laptop users will not be able to run Overclocked. If the trend is going for Shader Model, laptop users will not be able to play most adventure games.

Ok. I'll keep the game for my next laptop in a couple of years. Hopefully, the laptop by then would support shader model.

Re: Overclocked issue [Re: mission] #318600
04/29/08 06:02 AM
04/29/08 06:02 AM
Pinson, Al USA
Robert Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Pinson, Al USA
Quote:
It sounds like the Shader Model 1.1 is the culprit. I do not have problems with my other games (Nibiru, Secret Files) and these games did not mention Shader Model.

The pixel shader support is not the issue. According to the information at the Intel link you gave us, your IGP has the necessary pixel shader support for this game. I believe the problem is that your integrated graphics processor doesn't have support for "Hardware Transform and Lighting" (T&L), or perhaps the drivers are in-compatible. Hardware T&L is only on 965 or later chipsets.

The ability to get up to date drivers is another problem that severely cripples a laptop's ability to play the newer games. You have to get your drivers from your laptop manufacturer's web-site, as they are almost always proprietary. The problem with that, is that laptop manufacturer's have very poor support for the video drivers. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the most recent video drivers they have for your model are the very same ones that came installed in it.

Quote:
I think most laptop users will not be able to run Overclocked. If the trend is going for Shader Model, laptop users will not be able to play most adventure games.

Not at all. There are many laptops on the market that have pretty decent dedicated video cards in them, as opposed to an integrated graphics processor such as the one you have. Those laptops will play most any PC game just fine, regardless of the genre. However, they are still plagued with the lack of up to date driver support.

A good video card, and the drivers to support it are very important for PC gaming. Unless you just absolutely have to have the portability of a laptop for gaming, a desktop computer would be the much better way to go. It's very simple and in-expensive to upgrade the video card in a desktop, whereas it's usually not an option in a laptop. If you MUST have a laptop for gaming, then purchase a model with a good video card in it. We'll be happy to advise you on what to choose when the time comes.

Check your laptop manufacturer to see if there are any newer video drivers than what you're running. If your laptop manufacturer has no newer drivers, then perhaps try the video drivers from the Intel web-site. They may work, or they may not. If they're not compatible, then there's really nothing you can do that I know of.

If the lack of hardware T&L support is why you're getting the error message, then updating the drivers will not help you anyway.

Re: Overclocked issue [Re: Robert] #318754
04/29/08 11:52 AM
04/29/08 11:52 AM
Lower Mainland, BC
mission Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mission  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Lower Mainland, BC
Thanks again, Robert for the information. I'm very glad that there are laptops out there that have dedicated video cards which supports gaming. Hopefully, the upcoming games like Belief & Betrayal, Dracula Origin and The Immortals of Terra will playable on my laptop.

Re: Overclocked issue [Re: mission] #318781
04/29/08 01:13 PM
04/29/08 01:13 PM
Sumrall, MS
raylinstephens Offline
Addicted Boomer
raylinstephens  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sumrall, MS
The game plays on my notebook with integrated video but my notebook has designated 128mb ram to video and that could be the difference.

Is there a way for you to increase the amount of ram to your video card?

luck Linda

So many games, so little time.
Re: Overclocked issue [Re: raylinstephens] #318791
04/29/08 01:39 PM
04/29/08 01:39 PM
Pinson, Al USA
Robert Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Pinson, Al USA
Originally Posted By: raylinstephens
The game plays on my notebook with integrated video but my notebook has designated 128mb ram to video and that could be the difference.

Is there a way for you to increase the amount of ram to your video card?

luck Linda

The lack of VRAM isn't the problem. What IGP do you have? Sounds like perhaps an ATI Xpress 200.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (curly), 392 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users