GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? #323800
05/08/08 01:24 PM
05/08/08 01:24 PM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
Hello!
I figured it'll be an interesting conversation, but there's really a reason why I start this thread (a bit long - sorry!).
Making games (adventures) is a far-away, dream of mine, probably ever since I was very young. Adventure games haunt me ever since I remember myself (well, I'm 22, it's not that long, but still...). Anyone who knows me cannot ignore the fact that adventure gaming is one of my biggest hobbies.
However, whenever I actually think about creating a game - even start to somehow write something - I always get cold feet and forget it, thus remaining in the realm of gaming.
I don't paint, nor animate. I don't spend my days writing stories or poems. I'm not really qualified in any programing language, I only know some basics. Yet this craving to create only seems to grow. Just a month ago, I had a discussion with a friend of mine, encouraging me to chase my "dream". I told him however, that entering this industry is such a wild dream, and that I'm very insecure of my talents, when it comes to making "art". Besides, I said, there's no "computer game" school I know of, it's not like studying painting or dancing - it's very fringe, and very rare - at least here, in Israel.
A few days ago, while I was listening to some music, staring outside the window in a bus, my eye suddenly caught a glimpse of a commercial to a collage, which I had heard of before - it focuses around art, education, mainly modern, creative, non-mainstream things - very attractive in my eyes.
I saw the words "Art, education, sculptery, ...., computer games...."...

huh?
I rubbed my eyes, and still I saw it. I quickly wrote to myself a note to check this out on the net.
Apparently this collage has opened a rather exclusive program, lasting 2 years - "Gamology", teaching the student computer games design from many many aspects, such as: The philosophy of computer design, the sociological affects and influences of computer games, feminist vs chauvinist computer games, and of course practiacal things such as programming, economical issues, animation, etc.... I was stunned. This is more than I've ever dreamed of! Moreover - in the end of the program you have to create a game in a game company you'll work in! No need to say that could supply me so much experience, and connections...
I decided that that's gotta be a sign from heaven smile I promised myself I had to try and get in this program.
The thing is, I'm a physics-mathematics student, starting 2'nd year now...
To get to this program, it seems you need to prove your creativity. The student is mainly judged in personal interviews, but they mentioned you need to present a work file or some projects of yours, and also have academic knowledge in at least one of some very wide subjects - computers, art, education, design, etc...
Physics not there.
I feel I have nothing more than words to offer in these interviews. How could I explain my immense passion for this medium? My dreams, my visions, my need to create a brilliant story with beautiful gaming attached to it? My love for physics and science is connected strongly with my love for the adventure gaming world - rationality, logic, and more than anything - beauty and creativity - which is in my eyes abundant in physics and math.
I've said too much - now it's your turn;
I want it to be a discussion, not a "Tips for Tomer" thread, so my question is this:

What qualities would you expect a game designer to have? Which of them are inherent? Which are acquired?
Thoughts and ideas - are all welcomed!

I tried my best with grammar and syntax, hope it's not too bad!
Tomer.

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 05/08/08 01:35 PM.

There's definitely definitely definitely no logic to human behaviour.
Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: Tomer] #323814
05/08/08 01:52 PM
05/08/08 01:52 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I don't think I ever gave any thought to what qualities a creator needs to have. I think more along the lines of what qualities a game has to have. The rest is behind the scenes and has no effect on me.

I would think the desire to create one is your first and foremost quality and the second is to have the drive and ambition to do what it takes to see your dreams to reality. If you possess those things, the rest will fall into place.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #323903
05/08/08 05:20 PM
05/08/08 05:20 PM
Cambridge, England
Kickaha Offline
Addicted Boomer
Kickaha  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Cambridge, England
Creating games, and working in the games industry, are two different things. Some have found they prefer creating games for fun rather than working in a commercial games company.

Used to answer to "Peter Smith", now answers to "Peter Rootham-Smith"
Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: Kickaha] #324117
05/09/08 02:19 AM
05/09/08 02:19 AM
USA
adv Offline
Shy Boomer
adv  Offline
Shy Boomer

USA
my guess is... imagination, energy, spare time.

I would recommend developing games in your spare time - as a hobby, and second income.
Your future efforts could grow (or not).
There are several free game engines. "Adventure Maker", "Wintermute", etc.

There is always a great need for new graduates, strong in science, math, and physics.
You can have a steady, reliable income from these.

I would also recommend that you email this question to...
Mikael Nyqvist, of MDNA Games
Dave Gilbert, of Wadjet Eye Games
Brendan Reville, of Twilight Software
etc.

Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: adv] #324129
05/09/08 04:49 AM
05/09/08 04:49 AM
the Netherlands
Bernard Offline
Addicted Boomer
Bernard  Offline
Addicted Boomer

the Netherlands
I agree with adv, just start small, get a feel for it.
Don't start with the idea you're going to make "the adventure that shook the world". Keep it simple.
As for storyline and artwork, when you have trouble to come up with ideas, you can try to team up with some friends. Brainstorming can lead to great ideas.

Bernard

Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: Bernard] #324138
05/09/08 06:15 AM
05/09/08 06:15 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
For any individual who is creative -- learning how to "use" criticism is important. Decide which comments about your work/games are helpful and which are off-target, and don't let the off-target comments discourage you.

As for the "Gamology" program -- I'd try to contact those who've already graduated from the program to see what they thought of it and what they are doing now (are they mostly making games or are they mostly driving cabs and thinking about making games?). Talk to any of the professors at the program who will talk to you. Email is helpful, but one-on-one is even more helpful. Two years of training/school is bound to be expensive, and you want to know as much as possible before you commit to it.

Be aware of how you present yourself as you talk to people, especially to the professors -- if you do apply to the program, you want to appear as someone who will be fun and easy to work with.

Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: Tomer] #324826
05/10/08 12:18 PM
05/10/08 12:18 PM
San Francisco area, Calif.
Carrie Offline
Settled Boomer
Carrie  Offline
Settled Boomer

San Francisco area, Calif.
If I were going to make a game, it would be of something I wanted to do & someplace I wanted to go... an event in an environment I'd want to be in. I'm partial to the Nyqvists' games (Carol Reed Mysteries by MDNA)... 1st person, quietly eerie places & simple stories with photographed environments. The Savareses did the same thing (AQWinCapri & Anacapri games). If I could make a game it would be much like them.

Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: Carrie] #324855
05/10/08 01:38 PM
05/10/08 01:38 PM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Adept Boomer

Texas
I hope you don't mind a comment, as I don't have any clue about developer qualities - although I suspect a passion for it will take you far, as long as you have another means to support yourself in a very tough business.

Continue with that physics degree first - then attend the gaming school if you wish-- and then bring what you've learned to a beautiful game that incorporates physics in a story, such as Robert Gilmore's books (Alice in Quantumland, etc.) or in a way, what the game Loom did with music. There are a lot of fluff games out there, and a game you create using a solid physics background could be one of the best ever, if you could show your passion for the subject in a story that would appeal to even those who haven't yet seen the beauty.

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: nickie] #325164
05/11/08 09:12 AM
05/11/08 09:12 AM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
Thank you all for the responses!
I seem to get the same advices from all sorts of sources...
I feel much optimism towards it, and I agree with everything that's been said here.

Thanks!

Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: Tomer] #325216
05/11/08 11:33 AM
05/11/08 11:33 AM
Texas
nickie Offline
nickie  Offline
Adept Boomer

Texas
I wish you well Tomer! Just happened to think of it - another author who brings science and math to the masses through a story format and might give you ideas - Cliff Pickover ("The Heaven Virus" etc.).

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: Tomer] #325217
05/11/08 11:39 AM
05/11/08 11:39 AM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Hi Tomer,
Now that you have heard all the same stuff, I'll come in from left field and answer your question.
I think to be a game creator one needs lots of guts and sheer nerve and the willingness to go to hell and back to try to bring the vision/dream to reality.
I also think it is a lot more fun to dream than to work. But that's me, the dreamer!

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: sierramindy] #325246
05/11/08 01:24 PM
05/11/08 01:24 PM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
All these things, these qualities... I feel I do posses them, but I guess I'll never know 'till I rub my hands in it.
I'm gonna focus throughout the close year on writing. Writing my ideas. Reading a lot (thanks for the recommendation Nickie), especially on subjects that seem to be the axis to my thoughts and ideas. But mostly, to get used to writing eveyrthing that's going through my head.
I've also asked the head of the course if he could give me advice on how to enrich my knowledge during my free time this year, so it would prepare me better. He recommended that some flash and some basic programming would help, but it's no must.
He also said that I should not worry if my field of studies (physics-math) doesn't "seem" right - because I'll be surprised, he said, of how each student who comes from a different field brings his own way of thinking and creating.

I'm excited! smile I don't care if I'm perceiving things too romantically! smile

Thanks again for the responses...
I guess time will tell...

Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: Tomer] #325256
05/11/08 01:54 PM
05/11/08 01:54 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Tomer, I wish you every success in the future - you seem so passionate. smile Meanwhile please come & join us in 'The Most Common Theme in AGs' thread & help us out with the wacky story! lol

Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: chrissie] #325261
05/11/08 02:17 PM
05/11/08 02:17 PM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
thanks. I'll check it out... I seem to have a tendency to overlook threads with tons of replies - it just eats my time to catch up - but I'll try smile

Re: Which qualities are needed to be a game creator? [Re: Tomer] #325279
05/11/08 03:06 PM
05/11/08 03:06 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Hi Tomer,
You are so right! You will never know until you actually get down to the hard part of rubbing your hands in it, as you put it so well. Writing is a great way to start. I know I've read about many creative types who keep notebooks handy to write down thoughts whenever they occur, even in the middle of the night! Since I didn't discourage you with my nitty-gritty thoughts on creativity, I think you are moving in the right direction. Good Luck to you, which is something that I think is very important for everybody, even more than money in my estimation!

To love is to be happy with!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 550 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users