GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Interesting WOW facts... #385550
09/03/08 05:35 AM
09/03/08 05:35 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline OP
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline OP
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
This was in an e-mail I get from Smart Computing Magazine every day.

Fun Facts & Stats:
Will Games Turn Kids Into Angry, Obese Scientists?

Apparently with nothing better to do, researchers at the University of Wisconsin at Madison examined a sample of 2,000 chat room posts about World of Warcraft, a massively multiplayer online game, and determined that the game encouraged scientific thinking, math, and advanced problem-solving techniques. The bored researchers found that 86% of the gamers shared their knowledge to help solve problems and 58% used a systematic and evaluative process to do so. But the study also found that students who played violent games showed more unfriendly, hostile behavior and those who play more entertainment games tended toward poorer grades in school and were at higher risk for obesity.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: Draclvr] #385622
09/03/08 09:27 AM
09/03/08 09:27 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Hmmmmm, there could be a whole discussion in that paragraph.

I think it has more to do with the balance in the kids' lives, than with the specific game.

My kids used to just hate me because I'd come through and say "Turn it off. Go do something else" after an hour or so.

Course now, I understand that an hour is not nearly enough time and my kids have a good time pulling my chain now.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: looney4labs] #386261
09/04/08 02:13 PM
09/04/08 02:13 PM
Michigan
M
mcc Offline
Addicted Boomer
mcc  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

Michigan
I, personally, think obesity is not just linked to physical inactivity, when I was a kid I was a bookworm, I never went outside to play because I was not and I am not an outdoor person, however I was the skinniest of my friends and I am still reasonably thin sitting most of the day, not an exception since I have seen many children like that.

Obesity is a new "trend", mothers used to do tricks to get their kids to gain a couple of pounds.

Aggressive behavior on the other hand may be linked to extremely violent games, particularly fast paced ones, partially because since one needs to be more aware one gets a little more adrenaline feeling. When I play some RPGs and the occasional FPS I feel more active, not aggressive though, but I left childhood many years ago.

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

From The Matrix
Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: mcc] #386861
09/05/08 06:48 PM
09/05/08 06:48 PM
S.F./Bay Area CA
Nipomo Offline
Settled Boomer
Nipomo  Offline
Settled Boomer

S.F./Bay Area CA
I have a couple of random thoughts about this.

Personally I snack much less when I am playing computer games, because I too caught up in the moment, too interested in what will happen next.TV is quite the oppisite, it seems to be paced for snacking, getting up during commericals and mouching off whatever else anyone is eating sitting next to you.

The violent game thing still has me very interested.

Playing RPG's I noticed I have a tough time sleeping right away after playing even when its late (and by late I mean VERY LATE)my mind really whirles around. I don't know if this is from the adrenaline or if my mind is processing the game play that just happened and thinking about what I'll try next time. The thing is I like it...I like thinking about the games.

I do notice I am more confident to try things since I started playing what could be called more aggressive games (I still have yet to play a First Person Shooter) which I think is quite interesting. But I wonder a couple of things...is it the role-playing and figuring out the best way to complete a quest more than the "hacking or sniping at monsters (adrenaline)" which just seems to come with the territory. When I get in a pickle now, I tend to step back and think "well if this was a game how would I solve it" and also I think "well I could just try this and if it doesn't work I could try that" Since playing RPG's I notice I'm more willing to try things several ways in real life and not be too stubborn about just one way.

I have always been interested in the Killing Stuff in games question (does it make a person more aggressive?) and once I asked my partner who is NOT a gamer if she thought I had gotten more aggressive since I started playing more violent games and she said "Yes" which really took me aback and upset me. But the more I thought about it.....I've never used a sword or gun or hit someone (!!!!!!) since starting to play these games so what did she mean? If I attack problems more aggressively, if I'm more pro-active about situations, if I trust myself and jump right in...you could see that as more aggressive but certainly not in a bad way. I'm female and sometimes when females act as above people see it as more aggressive but thats sexist.

But on the other hand you go to other gameing forums and Boy the talk can be very aggressive and hostile and makes me uncomfortable. I come back here fast. I've never played on line with others, but I've seen/heard some game play on U-tube that curled my toes.

To me its an unanswered question. I like civilness and respect and I'm still not 100% satified that violent computer games and the culture that goes with them doesn't errode that. But then I play them and I seem fine to me.

I'm very courious what other Dark Side gameboomers think and how playing games that involves killing things and adrenaline has effected them, do you think its made you more aggressive???? In good ways....bad ways???

I would never give up RPG's and action/Adventure games, I just get too much out of them to go back to only Adventure games (much as I like them too). I'm really looking forward to Fallout 3 but when I saw the new in game videos and it had body parts flying everywhere after you shot someone....it sort made me wonder if I'm going to be OK with it. Guess I'll find out.

scavenging the wasteland in Fallout 3
Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: Draclvr] #386870
09/05/08 07:00 PM
09/05/08 07:00 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Well, my son was just chosen to be a beta tester for World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King. He's not overweight, and he is a straight-A student. smile

Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: Nipomo] #386875
09/05/08 07:05 PM
09/05/08 07:05 PM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Adept Boomer

Texas
Perhaps assertive would be a better word than aggressive. I think role playing games teach that there are several solutions to a problem, as you said.
I don't know that there might not be a difference in influence according to age groups that play. Also certainly eye trigger coordination would be affected by continuous exposure. Have to ponder some more.

Marian, congrats to your son!

Last edited by nickie; 09/05/08 07:08 PM.

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: Draclvr] #386881
09/05/08 07:13 PM
09/05/08 07:13 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Thank you, nickie, for forgiving my having injected a somewhat irrelevant comment. laugh It's an interesting discussion that Draclvr started, and I'm reading it with interest. smile

Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: Marian] #386884
09/05/08 07:22 PM
09/05/08 07:22 PM
Texas
nickie Offline
nickie  Offline
Adept Boomer

Texas
I don't think it's irrelevant Marian. I think it helps to shed light on the question of whether action games affect kids in a negative way. We all read horror stories of young criminals that play action games, but we don't usually hear about the A students that do as well.

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: nickie] #386895
09/05/08 07:56 PM
09/05/08 07:56 PM
S.F./Bay Area CA
Nipomo Offline
Settled Boomer
Nipomo  Offline
Settled Boomer

S.F./Bay Area CA
Nickie
Assertive is a much better word. In the press they always talk/worry about aggression and violence. Also your right about putting age into the equation.

I'd be really interested after you think it over. Wish I knew some younger gamers in person. I find myself constantly defending my computer game playing and computer game playing in general but in the back of my head I do wonder about the violence and aggression question even though I've not experienced it in myself (as you say its more like the games make me feel assertive). I don't have kids so I don't have to "decide" but I think gameboomers have a unique insight and I'm truly interested.
I'm not an adrenaline junkie at all in real life but its what I love in gaming...that buzz when you solve a problem (with your brain or your sword)(safely).

scavenging the wasteland in Fallout 3
Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: Nipomo] #386968
09/05/08 10:09 PM
09/05/08 10:09 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
I really think it's like everything else in life- a matter of balance.

My kids were good students, good athletes, and they played gory, violent games. They used to love the special move when one guy ripped the other's backbone out--gross! They were never overweight, and they would all give you the shirt off their backs.

However, we limited how long they could play at a stretch and didn't allow the really violent ones when they were young.

But then there are the folks that let the 7 or 8 year old play games clearly meant for mature audiences for hours and hours and hours, and then blame the game when something goes wrong.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: looney4labs] #387160
09/06/08 10:47 AM
09/06/08 10:47 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline OP
Draclvr  Offline OP
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Keep in mind this "scientific" research was done by reading 2,000 posts. I'd like to know how they followed up on the posts to find out the obesity link. The above quote also seemed to be a bit "tongue in cheek" with the statement "bored researchers!"

I agree with Nipomo that when I'm playing an RPG, I don't snack or drink. If I get seomthing, it often ends up just sitting there and an hour later I'll suddenly remember it.

But I did like the statement that playing WOW encouraged scientific thinking, math, and advanced problem-solving techniques. Toss in a little increased "assertiveness" and you might have an individual equipped with most of the skills to succeed in the real world.

Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: Draclvr] #387723
09/07/08 09:51 AM
09/07/08 09:51 AM
West Yorkshire/U.K.
Tyke Offline
Adept Boomer
Tyke  Offline
Adept Boomer

West Yorkshire/U.K.
Hahaha! Draclvr...I play the MMORPG Guildwars and I weigh all of 84lbs wet through, so I'd like to know where the scientists are looking and I DO snack often while I'm playing...although it's mostly fruit grin

As to aggressive behaviour...I am as timid as they come...but I do enjoy my gaming soo much...I don't think I exhibit any form of aggression or at least my hubby has never told me I do wink

Nipomo!...I LOVE to hack and slash my way through the lands of Guildwars...there are treasures a plenty to be had...and I, like you play well into the early hours, I find that I can't sleep very well after a very successful mission...I relive the excitement over again... grin

But there will always be the rude and obnoxious element in any on-line game...mostly boastful kids trying to top each other or sometimes really nasty people who go on these games just to spout their evil thoughts and ideas...but there are some really lovely people who play too...I am in a Guild with mostly American and Canadian college students, and older very respectful people who treat each other kindly and are very helpful, we have our own Guild (and alliance) code of conduct...nothing must be said that you can't say in front of a 13 year old.

I am 56 years old and we have a member of 65 years who is a Grandad..he is in America and his Daughter, son-in-law and grandkids are in England so he can meet up with them and play...we all have so much fun when we get on-line together and we lead by example...on most of these on-line games you can turn off or 'filter' the general chat, so you can just talk and listen to who you want...that way we can ignore the obnoxious ones and get on with the fun! rotfl

Oh!! I forgot to say...Guildwars only costs for the price of the games..there is no subscription fee whatsoever...so it's a great way to play..you don't feel like you have to, just to get your moneys worth every month smile

If you can't take the heat, don't tickle the dragon.
Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: Tyke] #387744
09/07/08 10:23 AM
09/07/08 10:23 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline OP
Draclvr  Offline OP
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Tyke, you definitely fly in the face of even bit of that "research's" conclusions!

Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: Draclvr] #389181
09/10/08 06:22 AM
09/10/08 06:22 AM
D
DABhand Offline
Settled Boomer
DABhand  Offline
Settled Boomer
D

What the researchers fail to realise is, the ones they mostly studied were already overweight before WoW even appeared and because of this they will snack while playing just like they will snack when not playing.

@Tyke - I had all 4 GW's titles. But it was the same o same o after a while, get to 20 do some instances get the goodies get top armor and then really that was it, I didnt like GW's PVP system and the game itself actually has more annoying people than WoW does.

The constant "You dont have FoW armor you are a noob" line got tired and it eventually pushed me to WoW. Dont get me wrong I did try to go back but it only lasted about a month or so before going back to WoW and I have tried others EVE, LOTRO etc.

Warhammer is supposedly going to be the WoW killer, but then again ive heard that line so many times, the now extinct Matrix Online was going to be a WoW killer and it ended up being poor and buggy.

Re: Interesting WOW facts... [Re: DABhand] #389236
09/10/08 08:28 AM
09/10/08 08:28 AM
West Yorkshire/U.K.
Tyke Offline
Adept Boomer
Tyke  Offline
Adept Boomer

West Yorkshire/U.K.
Draclvr.. grin broccoli

DABhand, I know, that's what I meant about rude obnoxious people, and I've been called NOOB! more times than I care to remember. rotfl
A lot of them treat it has a competition to see who has achieved the most, while I play purely for the fun of it and the social aspect...and I suppose it can get same old, same old, but I have only been playing for about a year so I haven't had time to get tired of it yet, and before I do, something new usually comes along like the new Golem hero. smile

Our Guild and alliance however make it fun and different...we have treasure hunts with prizes, hide and seek games...and parties galore...and we are always up for fun and mayhem...so I guess it can be summed up as, more enjoyable due to the people you hang around with. wink

I wonder what it will be like when Guild Wars II comes out...from what I understand it is going to be somewhat similar to WOW with a persistent world... think
Oh! and my Daughter and Son-In-Law play WOW...and they like it better than Guild Wars too. lol

If you can't take the heat, don't tickle the dragon.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Trail_Mystic 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 478 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users