GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? #413698
10/28/08 04:48 PM
10/28/08 04:48 PM
Southwest Michigan
A
aln Offline OP
Settled Boomer
aln  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

Southwest Michigan
Approximately how long and how difficult are these games compared with the other Nancy Drew games? I’ve noticed that almost every thread in the hints section right now deals with Castle Malloy and wasn’t sure if that was just the game everyone happened to be playing right now or if it was very difficult. I kind of hope not since I really used to like the Nancy games because I could do them with only hints and no walkthrough. smile

Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: aln] #413703
10/28/08 05:18 PM
10/28/08 05:18 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Phantom of Venice was a reasonable length I thought & IMO one of the better games to come out since Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon. For me there were no more than three challenging puzzles - 2 of them gave you the option to earn some much needed money - it was just a case of repeating the one you were better at!!

I've only just started Castle Malloy & so far it seems to be more puzzle orientated - there are so far quite a few familiar type puzzles which are far more challenging so I would guess that this may be a reason why there are so many posts in hints. I've completed some of them myself & others, after having a good bash at them, I've just got fed-up with & had a peek at MaG's solution in the walkthrough! smile

Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: chrissie] #414285
10/29/08 06:46 PM
10/29/08 06:46 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
I am steering clear of all Nancy games...

Until the developers stop with all these puzzles & stupid chores...Which I feel makes it more of a casual game instead of an adventure..

My opinion mad

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: Darleen03] #414735
10/30/08 04:52 PM
10/30/08 04:52 PM
Southwest Michigan
A
aln Offline OP
Settled Boomer
aln  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

Southwest Michigan
I actually like the chores, though they can tedious. To each his own, I guess. smile What I am worried about now is that I just read a review on Malloy saying that Nancy could only be moved by holding the mouse down and steering instead of usual point and click. I hated this in Sherlock Holmes games if that's what it is. Was the review I read right about the different movement? I sure hope they don't start doing that with Nancy games now as the easy movement was one thing I really liked (I get very motion sick so it's hard for me to play 360 games and ones that move quickly). Maybe I won't be getting Malloy after all since the movement gets so frustrating when you have to constantly steer and direct. Way too much like Nintendo for me. smile

Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: aln] #414743
10/30/08 05:01 PM
10/30/08 05:01 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi aln, so far I have found that it is only outside that you hold the mouse down to move Nancy to other locations in the area It is very easy, you have an overhead view, there is no 360% panning & you can move at your own speed. Inside the Castle & other buildings the controls for moving around are the usual point & clicking on the arrows! smile

Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: aln] #414744
10/30/08 05:02 PM
10/30/08 05:02 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I haven't tried Castle Malloy yet, but I enjoyed Phantom of Venice and would agree it's one of the best ones. I'm glad to hear Castle Malloy is full of puzzles. I just hope they are fun ones and not timed or reflex-dependent.

Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: Jenny100] #414752
10/30/08 05:12 PM
10/30/08 05:12 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi Jenny, I'm not that far into the game & so far the puzzles are quite varied & include some challenging versions of more familiar ones! I've come across one timed puzzle which relies more on keenness of observation rather than quick reflexes! I don't favor puzzle heavy games but I'm enjoying this so far! smile

Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: chrissie] #414786
10/30/08 06:26 PM
10/30/08 06:26 PM
San Diego
deleterman Offline
Addicted Boomer
deleterman  Offline
Addicted Boomer

San Diego
Didn't like it , timed puzzles and all.that's what hurt the game -i thought. anytime you need a save game it's hard.it was the timed puzzles that did it for me.

Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: Darleen03] #415318
10/31/08 05:00 PM
10/31/08 05:00 PM
Long Beach, Wa USA
J
Jalex Offline
Shy Boomer
Jalex  Offline
Shy Boomer
J

Long Beach, Wa USA
Originally Posted By: Darleen03
I am steering clear of all Nancy games...

Until the developers stop with all these puzzles & stupid chores...Which I feel makes it more of a casual game instead of an adventure..

My opinion mad

I agree with you, I don't like those chores or mini games either but there are other parts of the games that keep me buying them. If the rest of the game is good I can overlook them but I am sure this spoils the game for many of us.

Last edited by Jalex; 10/31/08 05:00 PM.
Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: Jalex] #415389
10/31/08 08:01 PM
10/31/08 08:01 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I think it has to be taken into account that these games are made for a much younger audience that may well enjoy all the extra challenges that are being incorporated. As an older player I think you have to appeciate this & either take them or leave them with the understanding that they are not going to change to cater for an older age group that aren't happy about the way they're going. smile

Last edited by chrissie; 11/01/08 05:08 AM.
Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: chrissie] #415819
11/01/08 04:32 PM
11/01/08 04:32 PM
Southwest Michigan
A
aln Offline OP
Settled Boomer
aln  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
A

Southwest Michigan
I agree, Chrissie. I am also glad they make a few games for the younger audience since these are the ones I often like best smile (even though I'm 26). I only have a few minutes each night that I manage to set aside for games and it's usually when my brain is not at its best so I usually find just being able to follow the w/t a huge accomplishment. Nancy Drew games are really the only ones I don't use the W/T for and enjoy them because of this. Glad to hear that the movement is not too difficult in Castle Malloy because it looks like a great game. I might be needing that save, though, if the mini game available where you hit the drums is really in the game smile

Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: aln] #416082
11/02/08 09:11 AM
11/02/08 09:11 AM
Humidity + Hair.. UGH!
blsbet44 Offline
Addicted Boomer
blsbet44  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Humidity + Hair.. UGH!
I used to visit herinteractive up until just before Danger by Design (or around that time)
I remember that the kids where complaining that the games were becoming to easy. Some disagreed and said that it was b/c people were getting use to the ND style of gaming.

I wonder if they add those mini games and timed puzzles just to "extend the game" for those who feel that the games were geting to easy. I remember playing the earlier games and didn't need to find "eyeballs" to get the clues or play a game to get a piece of a puzzle.

FO example in Haunted Mansion (my favorite) I would just hunt for items or try to find the locking mechanism that would get me into a hidden room. The hints would be in a book, a wall, a painting, PC etc.

I preferred the earlier games. I'll admit that the Phantom game reminded me of the earlier games (nice surprise) with the exception of the timed water level puzzle.

Like you aln, I don't use WTs. I like hints. Unfortunately, I needed the answer to that puzzle. I would've never finished it sad

Last edited by blsbet44; 11/02/08 09:13 AM.

Dear forest animals,
I've been singing for over an hour, where are you?
Sincerely,
Too lazy to clean the house
Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: blsbet44] #417845
11/05/08 11:15 PM
11/05/08 11:15 PM
Iowa
Mystery Lover Offline
Settled Boomer
Mystery Lover  Offline
Settled Boomer

Iowa
I'm playing Haunting of Castle Malloy right now and trying not to use a walkthrough. I love the music and the puzzles aren't bad, I'm working on the standing stones right now.

Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: chrissie] #418999
11/08/08 12:30 PM
11/08/08 12:30 PM
Midwest
gatsbygirl Offline
Addicted Boomer
gatsbygirl  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Midwest
It is great that there are games for younger players but I am wondering about a few things. I am an older player and love adventure games (especially mystery games) but I think that the ND games are really difficult. Most of the puzzles don't make sense to me. I have to constantly use a WT. Many other adventure games seem to make more sense and I generally have an idea what I am supposed to do. Not in ND- I see a puzzle in these ND games and often have no idea what I am supposed to do. I am surprised that younger players can play them. I am educated but am beginning to feel really stupid when I play these ND games. Castle Malloy is really hard IMO.

Re: Length and difficulty of Phantom of Venice and Haunting of Castle Malloy? [Re: gatsbygirl] #419053
11/08/08 01:20 PM
11/08/08 01:20 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I'm an older player too, I've just finished Castle Malloy & would agree that it is one of the more difficult & for me there were far too many puzzles (although I enjoyed it a lot) but at the same time I was glad to see more 'educational' content than has been in the previous few games. As an adult I think we are far more distracted by the practicalities in life than younger players who can approach the games with more of an uncluttered mind, verve & curiosity that dwindles as you get older - the theory is you get wiser instead! lol

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 715 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users