GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Secrets of Da Vinci interactive DVD #445244
01/02/09 09:53 AM
01/02/09 09:53 AM
Netherlands
HandsFree Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
HandsFree  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Netherlands
I recently bought 'the Secrets of Da Vinci' DVD. Turns out it's an interactive DVD, meaning it plays in an ordinary DVD player and you use the remote control to walk around and interact.
I thought it was the pc game, so it's my fault for not paying attention (the low price should have been alarming though), but I didn't mind trying this.

I liked to see the environment on a big TV screen for a change, but the game was unbelievably short and easy. Everytime you pick something up a narrator tells you exactly what you need to do with it and where. Does the PC game also have a narrator that does that?

The whole game took me around 3 hours to complete, does anyone know how that compares to the pc game (needless to say it was impossible to get stuck anywhere, so this was actual playing time)?

Anyway, after I finished it I had a glimpse at the walkthrough and found that it was very different from what I just played. It's the same story and graphics but shorter and easier, almost like a demo for the real game.
Maybe this is a good way to attract attention to the game, but I'm a bit bothered by the fact that the boxtext doesn't mention it's not a full game. In fact the screenshots are taken from the full game and not all of them appear in the DVD version, so I do feel misguided a bit.

Has anyone ever played an interactive-DVD adventure game? Are there other titles?
What are your ideas about this?

The Bass is the basis
Re: Secrets of Da Vinci interactive DVD [Re: HandsFree] #445252
01/02/09 10:02 AM
01/02/09 10:02 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I've come across dozens of them in the past and always wondered how they'd be. I know there a few sherlocks available also, but only in the UK. Here are some on Amazon.

Where did you get yours from?

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Secrets of Da Vinci interactive DVD [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #445279
01/02/09 10:50 AM
01/02/09 10:50 AM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
I haven't played any interactive DVD games, but I've played the regular Secrets of Da Vinci for PC, and there's no narrator in that. It's a good length game, I think it took me 10+ hours to play through.

I've read that interactive DVD games can be very slow to move from one screen to another, which is why I've not been particularly tempted by them. Did you find that was the case also?

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Secrets of Da Vinci interactive DVD [Re: HandsFree] #445296
01/02/09 11:18 AM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I wasn't really aware of interactive DVDs until I read your post HandsFree! So I'd also be interested to read any comments from anyone that has played one!

As for the PC game Secrets of Da Vinci - it's very good, fairly challenging & plays like a normal AG & has no narrator as Rushes has said! The interesting thing about this game is that in parts you can make choices on how you proceed that can slightly alter what you do subsequently & lead to different endings! It's well worth trying! :smile12:

Re: Secrets of Da Vinci interactive DVD [Re: Rushes] #445297
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
I've never heard of this before! :lol12: I couldn't find it on Amazon in the US, but it was here at Amazon UK. The hand in the painting on the box is apparently reaching for a TV remote!

It almost sounds as though they took the visuals and story from the game, and then made it into an interactive gallery. Sort of.

Last edited by Becky; 01/02/09 11:20 AM.
Re: Secrets of Da Vinci interactive DVD [Re: Becky] #445304
01/02/09 11:25 AM
01/02/09 11:25 AM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Originally Posted By: Becky
....The hand in the painting on the box is apparently reaching for a TV remote!......

The target audience is obviously men & children! :lol12:

Re: Secrets of Da Vinci interactive DVD [Re: chrissie] #445414
01/02/09 03:29 PM
01/02/09 03:29 PM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Texas
Here's an interactive game done in that format that was just about as long as the original game. It's cheesy, but I really enjoyed it. Dracula Unleashed

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Secrets of Da Vinci interactive DVD [Re: nickie] #445451
01/02/09 04:51 PM
01/02/09 04:51 PM
Netherlands
HandsFree Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
HandsFree  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Netherlands
I got the game from an UK ebay store.
There was dialog but no options to choose from. And it was not possible to make different choices anywhere.
When changing screens you see a short transition movie in wich the camera moves to the next location. Unlike most pc games it's not possible to turn the transitions off, but other than that it wasn't much slower than the pc. There's a bit delay when you press a key because it reads everything from the DVD. If this was the 10+ hours game maybe that would become annoying, but here I didn't mind. And the transitions looked good, definitely better than they would have on my old laptop.

That's by the way an advantage: no problems with video cards/drivers/system specs.
Recently I had to give up on Dead Reefs, Myst Uru, Evil Under the Sun and Jack Keane because my laptop can't handle them, although it (just) meets the minimum requirements. smashpc

The Bass is the basis
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Orion, dorf, 1 invisible), 478 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users