GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Adventure game puzzles -- gone downhill? [Re: Becky] #461293
02/09/09 01:45 PM
Canada
Tammy64 Offline
Addicted Boomer
Tammy64  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Canada
I like Hog games, but I much prefer IHOGs. Makes it a lot more interesting as to which location the item that you picked up, should actually go. I have so many HOGs and IHOGs, it's starting to get a little boring to play them. I may get part way through the game, then delete it, remembering that it had no significance, whatsoever, to smash or dust something, just to find nothing there.

I have a lot of adventure games also, which have been held back lately. I haven't played one in a very long time, but I am going to do so soon.

My last adventure game played was Traitor's Gate. I know it's an old game, but working with a map is something I enjoy.

I get disappointed sometimes when I buy a game and find out that I can finish it within a few hours. I like a game that would go on for days.

Even some of the adventure games have so much talking in them, that I tend to ignore those, but I do like Murder on the Orient Express.

So, I like a game where each piece has a significance to the story, or in adventure games there is a GOOD story ending. Not something that leaves you hanging waiting for the sequel to be released.

Re: Adventure game puzzles -- gone downhill? [Re: Becky] #461294
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Incidentally, my next blog is going to be a "reasons for hope" article.

Just the ticket !!!! bravo bravo bravo

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Adventure game puzzles -- gone downhill? [Re: Singer] #461297
02/09/09 01:55 PM
02/09/09 01:55 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted By: Singer
Incidentally, my next blog is going to be a "reasons for hope" article.

I will look forward to your next blog, and I appreciate your always-thoughtful and articulate-yet-oh-so-accessible articles! thumbsup wave

Re: Adventure game puzzles -- gone downhill? [Re: Marian] #461346
02/09/09 04:35 PM
02/09/09 04:35 PM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
This has gotten me to remember what go me into adventure games; the stories mainly. And the puzzles that was needed to be solved to drive the story forward. I have no problem with people liking or playing adventure games for the puzzles...

As I said in my first post, I've found some of the puzzles in some newly or nearly newly released adventure games far too easy - for me anyway. I'll just add that I like the hint system, the hot spot revealing mechanichs in today's games. I remember playing Zork: Nemesis 10 years ago or so; I got frustrated half the time because I couldn't find the hot spot...

I agree that it is sort of depressing to see old adventure games out for the DS instead of making new ones for the PC; this might actually mean that the DS could become the new way to ply adventure games...

Or that young people playing adventure games like SF: Tunguska, Broken Sword etc. on the DS might remember how great these games were - and then buy them for the PC when they grow up; expanding the fan base is always a good idea...

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: Adventure game puzzles -- gone downhill? [Re: Karsten] #461358
02/09/09 05:06 PM
02/09/09 05:06 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline OP
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline OP
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Singer
Perhaps Jenny100 was simply adding a new topic to the discussion, but I didn't want to leave the wrong impression about what I'd actually said.

I provided links to your articles so people wouldn't take the part I quoted out of context (and also because I think they're worth reading). But a year ago I would never have considered playing a hidden object game. So that bit from your second article that I quoted made an impression on me. Also several of the 3rd person games I've played recently never left me with the feeling I'd solved a puzzle. Strangely, I got more satisfaction out of hidden object games -- even the straight HOG's without any interactiveness or mini-games.

Harhan3,
If you don't like the hidden object lists, I'd suggest trying a demo of something like Azada: Ancient Magic or Alabama Smith: Escape from Pompeii instead of Return to Ravenhearst.

Re: Adventure game puzzles -- gone downhill? [Re: Jenny100] #461371
02/09/09 05:50 PM
02/09/09 05:50 PM
H
harhan3 Offline
Settled Boomer
harhan3  Offline
Settled Boomer
H

Thanx Jenny100.
I too woulnt have thought of playing a Casual Game even 6 months ago. But as I said ive played a few recently and like them except for the hidden objects business.
Seems my eyes are not as good as many others and I have to resort to hot spot clicking near or at the end which I dont like. Seems im probably in a small minority but we all like different things.

I played return to Ravenhearst and others but all with HO. Are the 2 you recommended casual games without any HO? If so I'll be very happy to try them and buy them if i like them Ok.

Re: Adventure game puzzles -- gone downhill? [Re: harhan3] #461376
02/09/09 05:57 PM
02/09/09 05:57 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
harhan, there is a list here of the favorite "Adventure Lite" games. Scroll down to the bottom left.

Here is the link to the #1 choice - Azada: Ancient Magic.

Give it a go, no loss except for an hours time, the game is free to try.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Adventure game puzzles -- gone downhill? [Re: Jenny100] #461377
02/09/09 06:01 PM
02/09/09 06:01 PM
Cambridge, England
Kickaha Offline
Addicted Boomer
Kickaha  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Cambridge, England
Glad you're going to blog about reasons for hope Singer. It would be interesting to hear what you think players could do to help the situation.

Re: Adventure game puzzles -- gone downhill? [Re: Kickaha] #461388
02/09/09 06:47 PM
02/09/09 06:47 PM
H
harhan3 Offline
Settled Boomer
harhan3  Offline
Settled Boomer
H

BETigre - very many thanx for the list.
Ill be trying some certainly. praise wave

Re: Adventure game puzzles -- gone downhill? [Re: Jenny100] #461938
02/10/09 11:21 PM
02/10/09 11:21 PM
Indiana
Koalanut Offline
Settled Boomer
Koalanut  Offline
Settled Boomer

Indiana
Do you think the author has a point?
Yes. I agree with the Wii/DS popularity, and the casual game popularity takes away from adventure games, especially with the cost effectiveness. I can play an Interactive HOG or Adventure Lite puzzle game, pay far less for it, download it at my convience, and have mostly puzzles in a concise story.
Another thought as to Wii and DS, there is only one system, they are all alike, not all the different kinds of specs to try to suit everyone. Far more cost effective.
Do you find the puzzles in most current adventure games to be unsatisfying?
Not so much unsatisfying, but it seems the games don't have as much puzzles in them. The games seems to be getting shorter, or at least less puzzles, more story/dialog.
Do you just reach for a walkthrough so you won't have to bother solving them?
Depends, most puzzles no, but some that don't make sense to me or seem to be the developer's choice of colors/sounds, yes.
Do you find that more often than not, they are "too easy" or "too hard" or just "not your kind of puzzle" and not worth your time?
Some of the "not your kind", but sometimes it's the same old kind over and over in games.
Do you find yourself getting more enjoyment out of hidden object games than you do out of playing adventure games?
Yes, because there is more puzzles to solve, especially the interactive kind. There is a story, but not lots of story and dialog (which seem to be the only thing to make some adventure games have any length)
Do you get more enjoyment out of solving the puzzles in older adventure games ("older" meaning older than Syberia)?
Yes, I enjoy alot of the older games more because they seemed to be more complex in story and how the puzzles wove into the story. I felt like I was solving part of the story. It kept me involved in the game and wanting to play it more. There was far more puzzles to solve in the older games, games seemed longer.
What are your favorite adventure games for puzzles (not story)?
I love Grim Fandango, Shivers 1 and 2, Riddle of the Sphinx, The Omega Stone, Torin's passage, Zork (all), Amerizone, Myst, Riven, Nightlong, Dracula 1 and 2.

So many games, so little time....
Re: Adventure game puzzles -- gone downhill? [Re: Jenny100] #462398
02/12/09 06:48 AM
02/12/09 06:48 AM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Originally Posted By: Jenny100

I thought the second article was particularly interesting.
Here's a quote regarding hidden object games:
Quote:
They rarely give you any freedom or exploration, but instead offer the one thing that adventures so desperately lack: a constant sense of challenge and fulfillment. Ten minutes of an adventure means practically nothing. Ten minutes of seek-and-find games means twenty small victories.

Do you think the author has a point?

Thanks for the links to the articles Jenny100, they were an interesting read & agree with other posters that they were a little depressing!
[*] Do you find the puzzles in most current adventure games to be unsatisfying? No, not really but I do have a preference for strong story lines, dialog & inventory based puzzles. Most of the games I've played recently have met my expectations but one or two have had disappointing endings.
[*] Do you just reach for a walkthrough so you won't have to bother solving them? It really does depend on the puzzle.I do start off trying to solve most of them myself but may refer to a walkthrough to get an idea of the logic behind it if it has escaped me! I do use a walkthrough to solve those I don't enjoy which are usually ones that involve maths or complicated (to me!) cross-referencing.
[*] Do you find that more often than not, they are "too easy" or "too hard" or just "not your kind of puzzle" and not worth your time? Not necessarily more often than not but yes, I do find that puzzles in many games fit into one of those three categories for me. But on a positive note does this not cater for a variety of abilites amongst gamers?
[*] Do you find yourself getting more enjoyment out of hidden object games than you do out of playing adventure games?I did to start with after discovering my first HOG. From then on I couldn't get enough of them but about 30 later I got bored. I would agree that there may be more fulfilment than an AG in the first 10 minutes but I don't get the same sense of anticipation & excitement on starting a HOG as I know more of the same is to come. (Exception: The Ravenshearst series) Also I usually get a lot more satisfaction out of finishing an AG. After a break from them I do now enjoy playing HOGs again from time-to-time but I'm a lot more choosy. I find it hard to get into and enjoy playing an AG in short bursts if I don't have a lot of time & that's when HOGs and/or other casual game win out.
[*] Do you get more enjoyment out of solving the puzzles in older adventure games ("older" meaning older than Syberia)?
The only older games I've played in the last few years are Gabriel Knight 1 & 2 both of which I enjoyed more than most newer games both story & puzzle wise. As far as other older games go - I think it would depend on the game.
[*] What are your favorite adventure games for puzzles (not story)? Most of the Nancy Drew games - although I prefer the one's that aren't so heavily puzzle focused over e.g. The Haunting of Castle Malloy & Legend of the Crystal Skull.

As far as older games being ported over to consols are concerned, I can only see this as a positive move. I've always been an advocate for AGs on consol but there are not enough available & new one's being produced quickly enough to tempt me to buy the one's the games are being ported for. It's difficult enough, in some cases, to get a new game running properly on a modern system never mind an older one. As PC systems advance I can see an older games collection becoming potentially defunct & I, for one would buy a consol on the strength of a back catalogue of games in the hope that this would generate the revenue needed to produce new ones! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (robedits, Urban Worrier, GamingPhreak, revco, curly, 1 invisible), 600 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users