GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Heaven: The Game developer speaks! #573962
12/05/09 12:30 AM
12/05/09 12:30 AM
D
DaveHT Offline OP
Settled Boomer
DaveHT  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
D

I think many GB members are very familiar with this game from Genesis Works, at least by game.

It is interesting to see Adventure Classic Gaming has managed to score an interview with the developer of Heaven, Paul McCauley (I recall Paul was a forum/past GB member as well).

The interview is mostly cordially, but it is quite revealing about what Paul is aiming to achieve with the game.

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/interviews/547/

Enjoy!

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: DaveHT] #573964
12/05/09 12:48 AM
12/05/09 12:48 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Thanks Dave, interesting interview.

ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #573998
12/05/09 05:27 AM
12/05/09 05:27 AM
H
harhan3 Offline
Settled Boomer
harhan3  Offline
Settled Boomer
H

I have not played the game nor do I intend to.

It is a matter of opinion for each individual if he or she wishes to play a game that seems to preach a religion - any religion not just Christianity.
The same would apply to any game which propogates any of the very different streams of politics or any ofmthe many "--isms".
I play games for pure relaxation and pleasure and not to be ideologically influenced in any way.
But this is simply my personal opinion only. Others doubtless have other opinions.

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: harhan3] #574221
12/05/09 04:10 PM
12/05/09 04:10 PM
Germany
seagul Offline
Settled Boomer
seagul  Offline
Settled Boomer

Germany
Harhan3,
we are influenced by the books we read, the tv-shows we watch and the games we play. These are all part of our every-day-experiences.
Every story has a meaning - or ist intendet to have meaning. It is based on some values or ideas.
As long as we know that there are influences working, we are able to controll the input. The problem beginns when we are influenced unknowingly . This is not the matter with this game.

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: seagul] #574297
12/05/09 07:42 PM
12/05/09 07:42 PM
H
harhan3 Offline
Settled Boomer
harhan3  Offline
Settled Boomer
H

I most certainly do not want to spoil any of your pleasure Seagul, or anybody else’s interest or enjoyment in “Heaven”.

What I wrote and write is purely my personal feeling. It might be shared by some folk but almost certainly not by others.

One of my delights in computer adventure games is the fact that they can and are played and thoroughly enjoyed internationally by everybody of different countries, backgrounds, religions, faiths, creeds, sects, politics, “-ism”s, etc, etc. They arte for pure enjoyment only and carry no ulterior “message” or propaganda.
We can and do all exchange hints, opinions, likes and dislikes. pros and cons, etc. with everybody anywhere

The above is not so for “Heaven”. It is not fully appropriate for Hindus, or Buddhists, or Jews or Moslems, etc., etc., nor obviously for agnostics, or atheists, and so on.
Some other religions may also believe in a Heaven but it ais a very different Heaven from the Christian one and inhabited by a different breed of worthy people: For example in one case, not by Saints but for warriors and martyrs to the cause. Actually in some cases, proselytization is very greatly frowned upon and sometimes even strictly prohibited by law with extremely severe penalties for offenders.

All this does not preclude anybody interested from playing the game. But acts as a restriction upon many others who otherwise enjoy all types of Adventures.

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: harhan3] #574321
12/05/09 08:39 PM
12/05/09 08:39 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
I wouldn't mind playing Heaven just to learn the developer's views on the subject. I don't believe in any religion so I'm okay with all of them. I don't believe in Science all that much either as mistakes are made all the time and what was true at one time is no longer so today. I make up my own mind ... and it is a very clean mind, I change it often! <grin>
Anyway, I won't play the game because it is a first-person game, and for a second *good* reason because I don't like the screenshots. I am totally intimidated by that female with those painful implants, sheesh!

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: sierramindy] #574324
12/05/09 08:47 PM
12/05/09 08:47 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Thank You, DaveHT for the interview link...

I also haven't played this game for two reasons....

(1) Its not an AG in my opinion..

(2) Too much religion..

My opinion... yay

I also find this Quote he made as questionable...

"We are pleased to be given an opportunity to interview Paul McCauley about the game Heaven. In the interview, McCauley speaks candidly on the biblical inspiration behind the game, the long development history of the project, the biblical messages which he wants to convey to his audience, and perhaps most importantly, what truly lies in Heaven."

My question?
How would anyone know what Heaven is like unless you were there, and came back from the dead think

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: Darleen03] #574337
12/05/09 09:22 PM
12/05/09 09:22 PM
H
honeycomb Offline
Settled Boomer
honeycomb  Offline
Settled Boomer
H

Interesting interview and discussion thread.

I dont know whether this game is attempting to convert anyone but its probably of limited interest to an atheist like me. But a game like this could be a sign of things to come.

As for harhans comment re propaganda in games - I would say its only concerning when it takes insidious forms and there are consequences. For ex, the biggest selling game of the year is Modern Warfare. No doubt its an effective recruitment tool for the Pentagon and it's sobering to contemplate the life and death consequences of a game like that, say on a 17 year old looking down the cross hairs in Iraq.

Last edited by honeycomb; 12/05/09 09:23 PM.
Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: honeycomb] #574520
12/06/09 10:52 AM
12/06/09 10:52 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Agustin Cordes Offline
Settled Boomer
Agustin Cordes  Offline
Settled Boomer

Buenos Aires, Argentina
"God first told me to make a game about Heaven."

The guy lost me at this point. Really, there's a fine line that divides discussing your beliefs with maturity or flushing credibility down the toilet.

I was reading the interview with an open mind but I just can't accept statements like that.

Senscape // Founder // Designer
Twitter: @AgustinCordes
Working on: Asylum
Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: honeycomb] #574527
12/06/09 11:04 AM
12/06/09 11:04 AM
Under Your Skin!!
CHAOS! Offline
Settled Boomer
CHAOS!  Offline
Settled Boomer

Under Your Skin!!
I just read the interview. Trying to convert or preach to people. I would say it is. If I want a sermon, I'll go to Church. Using the Bible as a foundation/inspiration is ok, but left open to a ton of interpretation. The Lord told him to create a game? Uh...OK.

Not sure I'll get the game. I think I would rather play a game that has no ulterior motives, as this game seems to have. I'm not against religion, I just don't want it shoved down my throat.

Sleep...Those little slices of death. Oh how I loathe them! (Edgar Allen Poe)
Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: Agustin Cordes] #574529
12/06/09 11:07 AM
12/06/09 11:07 AM
Land of 10,000 Lakes
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer
MrLipid  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Land of 10,000 Lakes
My impression is that this isn't about discussing one's beliefs with maturity, admirable (and rare) as that is.

This isn't a discussion.

This is about the TRUTH and sharing that TRUTH. And the audience either hangs around to hear it or wanders away.

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: MrLipid] #574531
12/06/09 11:14 AM
12/06/09 11:14 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Agustin Cordes Offline
Settled Boomer
Agustin Cordes  Offline
Settled Boomer

Buenos Aires, Argentina
I take you're referring someone else's truth, figuratively speaking... right? I mean, no human being can claim to know the absolute truth, that would be delusional.

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: Agustin Cordes] #574535
12/06/09 11:20 AM
12/06/09 11:20 AM
Under Your Skin!!
CHAOS! Offline
Settled Boomer
CHAOS!  Offline
Settled Boomer

Under Your Skin!!
Originally Posted By: Rael
I take you're referring someone else's truth, figuratively speaking... right? I mean, no human being can claim to know the absolute truth, that would be delusional.

Quite so.

Sleep...Those little slices of death. Oh how I loathe them! (Edgar Allen Poe)
Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: Agustin Cordes] #574536
12/06/09 11:22 AM
12/06/09 11:22 AM
Land of 10,000 Lakes
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer
MrLipid  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Land of 10,000 Lakes

My sense is that human beings for some time have claimed to have access to the absolute truth. And those who weren't shunned as delusional went on to successful television careers. wink

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: DaveHT] #574537
12/06/09 11:23 AM
12/06/09 11:23 AM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Thank you DaveHT for the link to an interesting interview. I haven't played the game but have reservations about buying it as I think I would find it boring based on the reviews & comments I have read. I really don't have any problem with game developers promoting their beliefs as I do find viewpoints on 'controversial' subjects interesting but not at the expense of gameplay - ultimately the game has to work as a game & not merely as a means to get an opinion across! smile

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: MrLipid] #574546
12/06/09 11:50 AM
12/06/09 11:50 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Agustin Cordes Offline
Settled Boomer
Agustin Cordes  Offline
Settled Boomer

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted By: MrLipid

My sense is that human beings for some time have claimed to have access to the absolute truth. And those who weren't shunned as delusional went on to successful television careers. wink

Exactly. And we all know that TV is the bane of society razz

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: Agustin Cordes] #574574
12/06/09 01:05 PM
12/06/09 01:05 PM
H
harhan3 Offline
Settled Boomer
harhan3  Offline
Settled Boomer
H

When I buy and play a game, I am supporting the developer alone - he-she fully deserves it (alright, publisher, distributor, in addition).

I do not want to subsidize or even support a religion - any religion.
Some are doubtless "nicer" than others and some have had and some still have a long history of intolerance, bigotry, and even fearful cruel persecution to people who do not subscribe to their dogma or tenets.

I'd rather play games which are not associated with any faith.

However, I doubt this is the place to discuss the good and bad points of any religion or to make a comparative study of all the different ones.

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: chrissie] #575608
12/09/09 02:00 AM
12/09/09 02:00 AM
land gal just wanna have fun
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

land gal just wanna have fun
I bought the game and think it is visually the most beautiful game I have ever played.

As for the idea that because it is Christianity based and is taken from the Bible I knew that in advance, it is no secret and if that fact would have offended me I would not have purchased the game.

If a game developer wants to make a game for example geared to those who practice Islam with a Islam message, and spread the Koran they have every right to do so and I would have no objection, but I would know ahead of time not to purchase the game. Just like atheists know ahead of time Heaven does not interest them.

The Game Developer deserves respect for he let everyone know ahead of time what the game is about. This is just my opinion. I think Paul did a beautiful job on the game and look forward to a sequel that allows more exploration of the nooks and crannies of Heaven and not be limiting which direction we explore.

I would also hope there would be more interaction with the Angels or people you would meet in Heaven. Perhaps using the imagination to create storyline for each character you meet. I would buy it, I prefer less skill puzzles and more logic puzzles with with needed character intervention. As I said in my opinion everything is top notch with the game and looking forward to more games from this Game Company.

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: Sherryah] #575612
12/09/09 02:36 AM
12/09/09 02:36 AM
H
harhan3 Offline
Settled Boomer
harhan3  Offline
Settled Boomer
H

Quote:
If a game developer wants to make a game for example geared to those who practice Islam with a Islam message, and spread the Koran they have every right to do so and I would have no objection, but I would know ahead of time not to purchase the game. Just like atheists know ahead of time Heaven does not interest them.

I agree completely - I too would not object.
But ppersonally I just would not buy it for the same reasons as I will not buy or play "Heaven" - no need to repeat those reasons.

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: harhan3] #575843
12/09/09 03:43 PM
12/09/09 03:43 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
A game is a game is a game! I would buy one with an Islam theme if it was a third-person game and if I liked the screenshots. I'm open to all messages as I am very fond of learning what goes on in the heads of others. Example: I dislike horror games but find it fascinating reading when someone raves on about how much they enjoyed such a game. Even among those who like the same game, their reasons are their own. Same as reasons for buying or not buying a game, for that matter.

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: sierramindy] #576024
12/10/09 07:00 AM
12/10/09 07:00 AM
H
harhan3 Offline
Settled Boomer
harhan3  Offline
Settled Boomer
H

Yes I totally agree "A game is a game is a game!".

But a sermon is not a game - however beautiful it may be, or its graphics. Nor is somebody’s sincere fervent Christian religious beliefs.
Even if "God first told me to make a game about Heaven. That was in 1997”.

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: harhan3] #576395
12/11/09 09:01 AM
12/11/09 09:01 AM
Bonney Lake, Washington
sarahandus Offline
Settled Boomer
sarahandus  Offline
Settled Boomer

Bonney Lake, Washington
Originally Posted By: harhan3
Yes I totally agree "A game is a game is a game!".

But a sermon is not a game - however beautiful it may be, or its graphics. Nor is somebody’s sincere fervent Christian religious beliefs.
Even if "God first told me to make a game about Heaven. That was in 1997”.

My sentiments exactly. Tried the demo and found the whole thing boring, then I discovered what the thing really was, a sermon and I quit. No way I'm going to pay for a sermon disguised as a game.

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: sarahandus] #576407
12/11/09 09:48 AM
12/11/09 09:48 AM
Land of 10,000 Lakes
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer
MrLipid  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Land of 10,000 Lakes
There's a demo?

Where can it be found?

Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: MrLipid] #576416
12/11/09 10:33 AM
12/11/09 10:33 AM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
I can't find a demo duh

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Heaven: The Game developer speaks! [Re: Darleen03] #576418
12/11/09 10:50 AM
12/11/09 10:50 AM
Land of 10,000 Lakes
MrLipid Offline
Addicted Boomer
MrLipid  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Land of 10,000 Lakes
Ah, well. Serves us right for wanting to sample Heaven without actually committing to it. Of course, I did commit to it and at the original retail price. I was just curious to see what part of the game got turned into a demo.

The falling price of Heaven leads to a silly thought. What if Heaven were to have an "Everything Must Go!" sale? smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (soot, manxman, 1 invisible), 525 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users