GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Art of Murder Cards of Destiny [Re: mj2c] #660038
10/08/10 10:06 AM
UK
Magwitch Offline
Shy Boomer
Magwitch  Offline
Shy Boomer

UK
Originally Posted By: mj2c
I'm always willing to be educated. What else is it they add? Perhaps I just havent played enough but the ones I have played have a remarkably similar system. The last one I played was The Woman In White can you give me an example (or two) that will show me the contrasts?

I'm not quite sure of the point you are trying to make here. As Becky says, there is a story to be written, environments to be created, many of which are quite beautiful and must have taken a significant amount of work to produce, and so on. Most traditional point-and-click adventure games also use 'remarkably similar systems' do they not? I don't see much innovation in that genre either, and when there is innovation, old-school adventure gamers inevitably complain. Pre-built engines are of course used in non-casual games too, so I suppose you could say that those developers are simply 'slotting in' all the elements you mentioned before as well. But to say that would be deeply unfair to those developers, as I'm sure you'd agree.

Last edited by Magwitch; 10/08/10 10:10 AM.
Re: Art of Murder Cards of Destiny [Re: Becky] #660039
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

I'm not arguing against any game type. Whatever floats your boat. What I am saying is that houses are developing these games because they take less time to make and have lower production costs because they are a very simplified form entertainment. Lower production costs *must* mean lower quality in areas of the game. If it didnt we wouldnt have casuals in the first place as software houses would be producing full adventure at the cost of a casual and they are not.

Indeed some big games do use engines (or modified) that have been used before. Lost Horizons seemed familiar with its zooming in and out (did Art of Murder games themselves use that same engine? cant remember). Now do you think Lost Horizon (Or even the old Art of Murder games) costs are even close to the best casual?

Originally Posted By: Magwitch
I'm always willing to be educated. What else is it they add? Perhaps I just havent played enough but the ones I have played have a remarkably similar system. The last one I played was The Woman In White can you give me an example (or two) that will show me the contrasts?

I'm not quite sure of the point you are trying to make here.

I wasnt making a point I was asking for some suggestions that would demonstrate what yo were saying thats all. And as far as the Woman In White is concerned there was no story to be written or characters to invent. They even seemed to give up at the end and inserted a great dollop of exposition at the end rather that gameplay to finish the story off.

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 10/08/10 10:22 AM. Reason: combined stacked posts
Re: Art of Murder Cards of Destiny [Re: mj2c] #660045
10/08/10 10:21 AM
10/08/10 10:21 AM
UK
Magwitch Offline
Shy Boomer
Magwitch  Offline
Shy Boomer

UK
What I am saying is that houses are developing these games because they take less time to make and have lower production costs because they are a very simplified form entertainment.

This is true, of course. I guess what I took exception to was the rather dismissive way you described the production of casual games. A whole lot more work is put into these games than you give them credit for. You wanted examples: the MCF games (Ravenhearst, Return to Ravenhearst, Madame Fate, Dire Grove) are casual games that have deep storylines, wonderful atmospheres, beautiful environments and very challenging, interesting puzzles. There is nothing paint-by-numbers about those games, which is more than can be said for many point-and-click adventures.

Edited to add: I also played The Woman in White and I completely agree that it was a poor example of the genre.

Last edited by Magwitch; 10/08/10 10:24 AM.
Re: Art of Murder Cards of Destiny [Re: Magwitch] #660047
10/08/10 10:26 AM
10/08/10 10:26 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Lower production costs always means lower quality? So higher production costs always means higher quality?

I can see that in general, this would be true -- though that assumes that none of the production costs are wasted, or poured into areas where huge investments create only small improvements.

A lot depends on the audience -- how important photorealistic 3D graphics are to them, for instance, since graphics are a large driver of production costs.

Re: Art of Murder Cards of Destiny [Re: Magwitch] #660048
10/08/10 10:28 AM
10/08/10 10:28 AM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

Lol I'm certainly not defending bad Adeventure games. Bad is bad. I suppose because I look at it with a programmers eye to some extent I see where corners would be cut (again from a programmers point of view this isnt necassarily a negative). If I write a prog that contains a big block of code that acomplishes(sp?) a certain task and in the next prog I write I need to accomplish a similar task I'm not going to rewrite that block again. Id either cut and paste the source code or put the code into a library.

The games you mention I'll certainly look into.

@Becky. No production costs dont always mean better quality. That would be an absolute. But in general yes that is what I'm saying. Things *generally* cost a lot more for a very good reason.

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 10/08/10 10:43 AM. Reason: combined stacked posts again
Re: Art of Murder Cards of Destiny [Re: mj2c] #660055
10/08/10 10:39 AM
10/08/10 10:39 AM
UK
Magwitch Offline
Shy Boomer
Magwitch  Offline
Shy Boomer

UK
The games you mention I'll certainly look into.

Oh do! If you haven't played any MCF games, you're in for a treat. Other examples of deeper-than-average IHOGs I enjoyed are:

The Women's Murder Club games (Little Black Lies in particular, the others are on the short side)
Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
Penny Dreadfuls: Sweeney Todd
The two Nancy Drew Dossier games (made by Her Interactive) are also a lot of fun

Re: Art of Murder Cards of Destiny [Re: Magwitch] #660056
10/08/10 10:45 AM
10/08/10 10:45 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
mj2c, please do not stack your posts, if you have more to add and no one has posted behind you, click the edit button on your post and add it, please and thank you.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Art of Murder Cards of Destiny [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #660058
10/08/10 10:49 AM
10/08/10 10:49 AM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

Erm I dont actually know what "stack" means. I'm more of a child of Usenet than web forums. If I'm being a pain just kick me:-)

Re: Art of Murder Cards of Destiny [Re: mj2c] #660062
10/08/10 10:55 AM
10/08/10 10:55 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
lol If you note yor previous posts, I have had to combine them. Rather than posting two new posts in a row, (stacking them) it saves on precious bandwidth to type everything in one post if no one has posted after you.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Art of Murder Cards of Destiny [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #660065
10/08/10 11:01 AM
10/08/10 11:01 AM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

Ah I see thats's a new piece of jargon for me:-) I think I replied to them one at a time because only the first one was there when I started to reply. I think:-) Consider me kicked:-)

Re: Art of Murder Cards of Destiny [Re: mj2c] #660094
10/08/10 12:32 PM
10/08/10 12:32 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
This discussion is certainly interesting thumbsup

But surely, the "be all and end all" is that the type of game bringing in the biggest profit will, inevitably, be what we are offered yes

Last edited by Mad; 10/08/10 12:32 PM.

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 338 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users