GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
A Warning to the Curious - Inspiration for The Lost Crown #681553
12/18/10 03:25 PM
12/18/10 03:25 PM
AmunPtah Offline OP
Settled Boomer
AmunPtah  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

In my conversations with Jonathan Boakes it came up that he was quite a fan of M.R. James' weird tales. Reading through the two-volume Penguin collected editions of James' tales, I was struck by how close The Lost Crown is to the spirit of those tales. Jonathan obviously draws much of his inspiration from them.

Places, people. Several are referenced in the game. One of the main ones that comes to mind is Karswell, although Karswell (from "Casting the Runes") is quite a malicious individual, distinct from the reasonably merry couple in the game.

The most interesting tale for Lost Crown fans is "A Warning to the Curious", as the game could be considered a reimagining of or a sequel to the original story.

It features the East Anglian coastal town of Seaburgh, with its own train station at the end of the line (just like Saxton). The characters stay in an inn called The Bear, and are told the tale of the discovery of one of the three lost Anglo-Saxon crowns. There is a Martello tower along the shoreline, as well as a wood and barrow (burial mound) on the hill near a cottage at "North Field". Add to that the references to Nathaniel, Frederick and William Ager!

There is more I would like to talk of, but that would spoil the plot of the game/story for those who have not seen either/both.

You can read the excellent tale here: http://www.litgothic.com/Texts/warning.html

James' wrote the story with Aldeburgh, Suffolk in mind, as well as the churches at nearby Friston and Theberton. The Friston church supposedly features a symbol of three crowns above the porch. Aldeburgh is about an hour in the car for me, so I'll have to pop over there and do the usual honours with photographs and videos!

Re: A Warning to the Curious - Inspiration for The Lost Crown [Re: AmunPtah] #681569
12/18/10 04:18 PM
12/18/10 04:18 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Thanks Amun! wave12

Re: A Warning to the Curious - Inspiration for The Lost Crown [Re: Becky] #681592
12/18/10 05:26 PM
12/18/10 05:26 PM
Connecticut
Ewil02 Offline
Settled Boomer
Ewil02  Offline
Settled Boomer

Connecticut
Thanks Amun-really good stuff. I also wanted to thank you for all of the wonderful photos and videos of the areas used for Lost Crown and Barrow Hill. They really add to the enjoyment of the games.

When I was looking for some background info to learn more about Bracken Tor and Bodmin Moor, I noticed the following site that has some really amazing info. I guess Matt and Jonathan did some 'ghost hunting' back when getting research for the games. These are pretty amazing and scary-check out especially cases #2 and #7-Jamaica Inn and Bodmin Jail. I wonder if they've gotten back to those sites. Anyway, sorry in advance if this is old news to some-I just found these cases a few months ago.

http://www.darklingroom.co.uk/thl2/

Re: A Warning to the Curious - Inspiration for The Lost Crown [Re: Ewil02] #681605
12/18/10 06:12 PM
12/18/10 06:12 PM
AmunPtah Offline OP
Settled Boomer
AmunPtah  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

No probs. I love discovering and doing this stuff!
I'd seen a couple of those case files, but I should make an effort to read them all. I even have photos of some of the places, so I should tie them in. Be aware, though. Not everything is as it seems in the case files...

Re: A Warning to the Curious - Inspiration for The Lost Crown [Re: AmunPtah] #681609
12/18/10 06:21 PM
12/18/10 06:21 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Space Quest Fan Offline
Graduate Boomer
Space Quest Fan  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Upper Arlington, Ohio
thanks AmunPtah. Great links. thumbsUp12

It's nice to be important but it is much more important to be nice.
Re: A Warning to the Curious - Inspiration for The Lost Crown [Re: Space Quest Fan] #681616
12/18/10 06:42 PM
12/18/10 06:42 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
"One of the main ones that comes to mind is Karswell, although Karswell (from "Casting the Runes") is quite a malicious individual...."

Oh, jeez, Karswell! Malicious is putting it mildly.

M. R. James was a master of the low key horror story and Casting the Runes is his best, IMO. If Jonathon Boakes takes him for inspiration, I guess I'll have to break down and play one of his games.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: A Warning to the Curious - Inspiration for The Lost Crown [Re: traveler] #681621
12/18/10 07:02 PM
12/18/10 07:02 PM
AmunPtah Offline OP
Settled Boomer
AmunPtah  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

You must, you must, you must! The Lost Crown is his masterwork, and the most Jamesian.

Re: A Warning to the Curious - Inspiration for The Lost Crown [Re: AmunPtah] #681643
12/18/10 08:49 PM
12/18/10 08:49 PM
Australia
P
plumgas Offline
Settled Boomer
plumgas  Offline
Settled Boomer
P

Australia
I loved the lost crown, a brilliant story

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (oldbroad, curly, seagul, Lex), 599 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users