GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Witcher 2, Part 2 #730045
06/05/11 12:02 PM
06/05/11 12:02 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Hi ya Guys, The first Witcher 2 Thread has gotten a bit unwieldy
so let's use this one for all future Witcher 2 discussions. wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Witcher 2, Part 2 [Re: looney4labs] #730679
06/07/11 04:04 PM
06/07/11 04:04 PM
Lost in the Arizona Desert
oldman Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldman  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Well I guess I'll be the first to post on the new thread. crazy rah

I've been playing with the latest patch and now I can't use "0" to sheath my sword. I can draw the swords with the key 1 or 2 but to sheath my sword I have to go into meditate and Geralt automatically sheaths the sword.

I don't know if it's the patch or what but they 0 option is dead to me. Not a biggie other than it's time consuming to go through all that just to sheath a sword but it's no more inconvenient than drinking potions which is really lame.

Oh well.......

The game is growing on me and if I quit thinking of it as a sequel to Witcher then I can rather enjoy the game. It's just that I had high hopes and it didn't live up to my expectations.

You laugh because I'm different
I laugh because you're all the same

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

John
Re: Witcher 2, Part 2 [Re: oldman] #730683
06/07/11 04:29 PM
06/07/11 04:29 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I'm able to sheath the swords just by pressing 1 or 2 again. It works for me for both sheathing and unsheathing after the patch.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Witcher 2, Part 2 [Re: Draclvr] #730729
06/07/11 07:00 PM
06/07/11 07:00 PM
Michigan
M
mcc Offline
Addicted Boomer
mcc  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

Michigan
I also can sheath the sword by 1 and 2 but I still can use 0 after the Patch.

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

From The Matrix
Re: Witcher 2, Part 2 [Re: mcc] #730736
06/07/11 07:39 PM
06/07/11 07:39 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Well, I'm glad ya'll found this. I was wondering if the game had sucked you all in and I was going to have to come in after you. wave

Oldman, I wonder why your resheath isn't working?

-Roger Caras
Re: Witcher 2, Part 2 [Re: looney4labs] #730760
06/07/11 09:11 PM
06/07/11 09:11 PM
oldman Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldman  Offline
Addicted Boomer

It beats me it's one of those things that happens in the world of computers that makes you scratch your head and say I wonder why that happened?

I would be more concerned if there wasn't an alternative so it's just a minor inconvenience. I also lost my steel sword that I carried over from my Witcher 1 save I think it was called Dyaebl or something like that. It just vanished on me but I've found better steel swords in the game so that is also a minor inconvenience.

I still have the silver sword from Witcher 1 but I have been able to craft better silver swords so I'm just keeping it as a souvenir.

John
Re: Witcher 2, Part 2 [Re: oldman] #730767
06/07/11 09:39 PM
06/07/11 09:39 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I find using the same key for both sheathing and unsheathing each sword much easier that using the 0 key.

L4L, I've been spending some quality time with my tractor and about 4 tons of mulch!

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Witcher 2, Part 2 [Re: Draclvr] #731110
06/09/11 05:29 AM
06/09/11 05:29 AM
Moondancer Offline
Settled Boomer
Moondancer  Offline
Settled Boomer

Hmm. Chapter 3 is pretty dark in tone. ..and the game ends rather suddenly too.

The first Witcher is still my favorite by far. I wish this one could just have used the same recipe.

At least I found it a better sequel to Witcher 1 than Dragon Age 2 was for Dragon Age:Origins.

Looking at this ending, it does look as if they're planning for a Witcher 3. Let's hope Witcher 3 strikes a nicer balance.

`Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice
Re: Witcher 2, Part 2 [Re: Moondancer] #731935
06/12/11 08:16 AM
06/12/11 08:16 AM
oldman Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldman  Offline
Addicted Boomer

For all who are interested, Gamepressure now has their walkthrough posted through Chapter 2.

You can find it here

John
Re: Witcher 2, Part 2 [Re: oldman] #731957
06/12/11 10:55 AM
06/12/11 10:55 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Thanks Oldman wave

-Roger Caras
Re: Witcher 2, Part 2 [Re: looney4labs] #732252
06/13/11 02:40 PM
06/13/11 02:40 PM
Michigan
M
mcc Offline
Addicted Boomer
mcc  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

Michigan
I finished the second play, this time siding with Roche, I tried to have good equipment for the end just in case there is a following Witcher.

I am glad I sided first with the elves because there are things difficult to understand otherwise, like what really happened to the Dragon.

All in all I would give this game a near 9.

The main thing I felt very frustrating with was the map, many times one can see a free path to go somewhere but it does not exist and the opposite is true also. I wasted much time looking for the right place to go to for this reason. Also in many Side Quests the place to go was completely missing in the map. I found things thanks to the WT mentioned by oldman, unfortunately the second chapter was not published at the time I was playing it.

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

From The Matrix
Re: Witcher 2, Part 2 [Re: mcc] #733197
06/17/11 05:30 PM
06/17/11 05:30 PM
British Columbia, Canada
Templeton Peck Offline
Settled Boomer
Templeton Peck  Offline
Settled Boomer

British Columbia, Canada
I have at long last completed the game. Real life got in the way for a while there, but I also took my time going through the game trying to do everything I could on the first play through (so many other games to get to still).

I played on normal difficulty and found that compared to easy (I gave that a short try) it struck a better balance overall. On easy all I had to do was hit mouse 1 over and over and there was no challenge whatsoever. On normal, I had to plan things out for my character better and make use of the different skills Geralt had. Nearer the end of the game though, I found I planned so well that it was pretty darn easy to make my way through to the end. In the end I think it was a more enjoyable experience with the extra bit of challenge, it made me get into the details of the game more.

There are a lot of positives in this sequel I found. The graphics are great, a huge improvement on the last game and are often stunning to look at it. I think it probably limited them in some ways, but it was probably worth it in the end.

The story is as good as ever (aside from a bit of getting bogged down in somewhat boring politics at times) and progresses at a good pace for the most part. The game is more story driven then an open world concept type game, so a good story is a must. The main quests for the most part are really fun to play through and mix action with story quite well. I really like the different choices you can make and how it effects everything prior to the end.

All the characters are also well done once again and it's great to see the returning favourites from the last game.

The game play is improved (in my opinion) from the last game. I really like the more action oriented new combat system that is in place. It feels like you are much more involved this way and opens things up more for taking different approaches to solving different combat situations.

I also like the levelling system, the different trees are really simplified and easy to follow along.

As for the negatives, well there were a few (they are mostly minor though). My biggest complaint is that of the weight system. You are pretty much going to be carrying too much as soon as you get out of the prologue. I know there is a mod to carry as much as you want, but the system should have been much better. The real issue is carrying so much crafting material and knowing what you need and don't need. I know weight systems are in place to put some realism in place, but really they could have bumped the numbers up a bit and it would have made all the difference.

Another negative is with the crafting in the game. You need diagrams to craft anything (which is no problem) and even though they record in your journal, you still have to carry around massive amounts of diagrams. If it's recorded down in the journal, why you need to keep all those diagrams is beyond me.

I have to say I wish there was more diversity in terms of the side quests as well. There were a few good ones, but there could have been more and one's that really mixed things up. The world is somewhat enclosed and more side quests maybe could have opened it up a bit more. I know that with the high quality graphics and story focus it would probably limit them in this regard to some degree, but a few more would have been nice.

I found in particular the mini games to be repetitive (poker, arm wrestling and brawling) and they wouldn't really be worth playing again in a second play through.

Dice poker needed to be better, it should have been best 2 out of 3 when playing someone at least and they needed to make the dice clearer to read. Roman numerals are fine, but make it clear to read the dice.

There are lot of NPCs in areas that have nothing to say but a short one liner over and over (a problem in a lot of games) and I know not everyone can be involved in the plot of the game, but they could have added a few more that were involved in some minor way (like a side quest).

Another minor complaint is that of the doors in the game. You have to open them, wait a second, walk through and then they close behind you. This is fine, except for when you have to follow a NPC (or three on one occasion) and each one has to open the door, wait, walk through one by one and you have to sit there. It looks weird and out of place and is annoying to have to sit there waiting. So many games have had this trouble, I wonder if at some point they'd find a better way. You can't cut in front once they've started either, or go through two at a time while the door is open.

My last complaint would have to do with why some enemies give off XP and others don't. On some quests you get a big chunk of XP at the end of it, but not from the enemies you fight along the way. However, if you wander around and stumble upon some monsters, they give no XP, while others do and it makes little sense.

One more thing. The ending, well it isn't much of an ending really. What is really focused on I think is what leads up to that ending and all the different choices involved and how that alters the story. Video games in general I find for the most part don't have the greatest endings.

In this case, they did leave it open for another game, so something to look forward to for sure. I should add, the Steam achievement for completing the game is: "To be continued...".

The journey is it's own reward once again I'd say here.

All in all, despite a few negatives it's a good game and a lot of fun. I'd give it a 8.5/10 and I'm a pretty tough critic.

Last edited by Templeton Peck; 06/17/11 05:32 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Trail_Mystic 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 288 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users