GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
A very peculiar problem #733918
06/20/11 05:38 PM
06/20/11 05:38 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Me again.

I've been having a problem with some windows just disappearing from my desktop although they are sitting right there on the task bar. It's happened with Serpent Moon, it's happened most often with BigFish, but what really iced the cake was when my email program decided not to come back from its minimized state on the taskbar. I can click on the small icon and watch it fly off-screen to the right but I sure can't see it on the screen in front of me.

I found out what's going on when I took a screenshot of Serpent Moon and by gum, it was there all right but on another desktop to the right of the one I'm seeing.

Here's what I'm talking about. On the left, you see Windows Update. On the right, you see the extra desktop. Sometimes it will be complete with shortcut icons, sometimes not. Sometimes the shortcut icons will be reversed in position but not mirror images.

This is making me nuttier than I already am. If any of you real experts have the slightest idea what I can do to stop this, please let me know.

System Restore doesn't affect it, btw. Sometimes rebooting does...but not often enough.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: A very peculiar problem [Re: traveler] #733926
06/20/11 06:14 PM
Waimea Big Island of Hawaii
hawkavonpuka Offline
Addicted Boomer
hawkavonpuka  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Did you try right clicking the taskbar and see if you got tile windows vertically checked off. Or horizontally, not sure if that is what does it. I tried messing with mine but nothing changed so I am probably not in the right area.

Last edited by hawkavonpuka; 06/20/11 06:16 PM.

What kind of magic spell to use?
Re: A very peculiar problem [Re: traveler] #733927
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
It looks like you're set up for using dual monitors or something.

I guess you need to check your Display Properties.
Here's a site about Display Properties and dual monitors.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/organization/twomonitors.aspx

Re: A very peculiar problem [Re: Jenny100] #733933
06/20/11 06:48 PM
06/20/11 06:48 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
hawkavonpuka, I tried it and I did see a momentary flash (Gameboomers was open) so maybe that is it, maybe selecting the stacked option will take care of it. So help me, I had never even noticed that 'show windows stacked/show windows side by side', I suppose because it meant nothing to me and I just assumed it meant multiple browser windows.

Jenny, I guess I am set up for dual monitors, though why I don't know. Is this a normal feature of Windows 7?

Well,anyway, if hawkavonpuka's solution is the right one, I'll be eternally grateful!

Thanks very much to you both! I hope I don't have to drag back here whimpering if the darned thing lets windows fly off again. <g>
=======================================

Well, one did fly off again but this time I went back to the taskbar and took another look. I clicked on Toolbars and saw there was a listing for Desktop so I clicked on that. What do you know, my browser came right back from next door.

hawk, you're a genius. <g>

However, I'm hoping that Jenny's solution is going to stop this from ever happening again. I found the setting on my screen resolution page that restricts the desktop to showing only on "1". Then I took the Desktop icon off the toolbar and so far everything's behaving.

So huge thanks to you both again!

Gil.

Last edited by traveler; 06/20/11 10:21 PM.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: A very peculiar problem [Re: traveler] #733977
06/20/11 11:02 PM
06/20/11 11:02 PM
hawkavonpuka Offline
Addicted Boomer
hawkavonpuka  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Is your taskbar locked? It was just a guess, but I have found many things rearranged on my computer after my granddaughter uses it. There is probably a "real" reason and a "real" fix, but if taskbar is locked it shouldn't come undone by itself. I have no clue on Windows 7 either, but someone else will come along and clue both of us in.

What kind of magic spell to use?
Re: A very peculiar problem [Re: hawkavonpuka] #733978
06/20/11 11:06 PM
06/20/11 11:06 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Well, it's locked now! <G>

Gil.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 232 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users