GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
U.F.O.s (aka Gnap) #87615
05/08/04 10:22 PM
05/08/04 10:22 PM
South Korea
Magicscroll Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Magicscroll  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

South Korea
Developer: H+A
Publisher: H+A
Release Date: Fall 1997

System Requirements : Windows 95 ; Pentium processor, 16 MB RAM, 1 MB disc space, 2x CD ROM (4x recommended); 640 x 480, 256 colours, 8 bit sound blaster compatible card, Direct X.

*This is my first English game review blush

A certain game was left totally unnoticed by the Korean adventure community until one average joe of a gamer looked at the screenshots in the jewel case and said to himself "Isn't that an inventory?" Dumbfounded he was, because it was labeled in English as "The Power Action Game" (Yup, those were the words in print). The title also translates as "The One-eyed Kisser." Desperate for adventures, the gamer took the chance and actually got himself a 3rd-person comic adventure. Hurray~!

The Power Action Game
The game labeling was misleading but it had its basis. The game had three must-do mini-games and they are uh... action oriented. I know some of us shun such 'unnatural cross-breed' and the jane/joe of an adventurer needs this fair warning sign. But before our fellow BAAGette/er grabs this title with mixed feelings like having greasy fast food, let me state that the mini-games can be done strategically. I've had times when I had to the mindlessly press on the keyboard and mouse thinking "Woe is me~, when will this suffering end?" The mini-games can be beaten by people less gifted with hands-eye coordination. Trust me, keen observation will get you through them.

Story
Our protagonist gets stuck on Earth and his/her/its(oh, whatever) quest is to find the parts needed to fix his/her/its (I'll just stick to him/his) UFO. He meets a platypus who joins him as a sidekick. There isn't much else in the story and there isn't any character development.

Graphics and Sounds
The graphics have a fair mix of 2D and 3D that blends well together. It reaches the standards for its time and still looks respectable for today. The highlight in the graphics area would be the flashy scenes after obtaining an item. This was very original and added well to the gameplay.

The sound in general was decent. There wasn't much music but it wasn't much of a loss. The sound effects were never awkward. The voice acting was well done but there wasn't much of it.

Jam-Packed With Humor
Almost every click gives out humor and this is not an exageration. The humor ranges from whoopy-cushion to slapstick. The humor of "Fraiser" isn't what you should expect. The violence is far from mild. In fact, it's stronger than what you can see in Tom and Jerry cartoons. I'm quite leniant on this yet I was offended at one point. It is a matter of taste and this game has a distinct flavor.

The Pros
The puzzles were generally fair. I enjoyed solving them most of the time. I liked the humor and the platypus was so~ cute~. Voice acting was well over average. The game requires minimmum English skills and there was hardly any dialogue which is a plus for the foreign croud.

The Cons
Way, WAY too short. I played U.F.O.s for a little over three hours. Some players may see the ending in less than two hours. The game is thin on story. An incident requiring the use of drugs wasn't pleasing. The mini-games won't delight everyone. Did I mention how short it was?

Final Verdict
The game played without glitches but the game requires display settings to 256 colors at 640 x 480 resolution. Otherwise, the game will hault in the mini-games. The game is not for everyone but people who liked Duckman or Creature Crunch would probably enjoy this game. I cannot say the game has shortcomings; they were a matter of taste. But the gameplay is short, very short. I recommend buying this game only at bargain prices. My final verdict is a B. And may I repeat, keen observation will get you through those mini-games.

I am not an adventurer by choice but by fate.

-Vincent van Gogh
Re: U.F.O.s (aka Gnap) #87616
05/10/04 07:48 AM
05/10/04 07:48 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Wow, a great first review (in English) of a game I've never heard of before!

Quote:
The game labeling was misleading but it had its basis. The game had three must-do mini-games and they are uh... action oriented. I know some of us shun such 'unnatural cross-breed' and the jane/joe of an adventurer needs this fair warning sign. But before our fellow BAAGette/er grabs this title with mixed feelings like having greasy fast food, let me state that the mini-games can be done strategically. I've had times when I had to the mindlessly press on the keyboard and mouse thinking "Woe is me~, when will this suffering end?" The mini-games can be beaten by people less gifted with hands-eye coordination. Trust me, keen observation will get you through them.
LOL! Yes, I've had the "when will this suffering end?" experience. Nice to know that the mini-games can be won strategically.

I take it the game is voiced in English?

Is it a rare game at this point and hard to find?

Re: U.F.O.s (aka Gnap) #87617
05/11/04 10:29 AM
05/11/04 10:29 AM
Seoul
mrkwang Offline
Settled Boomer
mrkwang  Offline
Settled Boomer

Seoul
I'm entirely opposite to Magicscroll. (Yeah. We're both from Korea.)

Graphic is well done, brutal(?) humor is good, but I had terrible time w/ pixel hunting. Not sure it's just my computer's problem due to resolution, anyway it wasn't flowed very easily as he did.

And it had 3 action part(I mean real time part). Suddenly it appears, without any explanation. What to do? I don't know. Of course, first 2 were just the time problem. After time passes, I came to know what to do. But final 'kissing action game' is really big turkey. I see the right attack from my character, but enemy wasn't hit. And not sure why, sometimes my character takes double damage. Maybe it took me 2-3 days?

It could be very good & fun game, sometimes better than [Stupid Invaders], but it has several annoying parts. Some people could enjoy, but some people could suffer. Maybe that's the reason why this game was abandoned.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Kaki's Sister), 222 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users