GB HOMEPAGE

CD version in the US?

Posted By: Melanie1

CD version in the US? - 02/16/05 10:22 PM

On the Moment of Silence page, it says PC/CD at the bottom and TAC does not specify a dvd player in the requirements. Does this mean that the US version is being released as CD's rather than just DVD's?

Thanks for chatting with us! wave

Melanie
Posted By: tigger

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/16/05 10:38 PM

don't know but how many cd's would you need for 3.4GB data??? And that doesn't take into account the file sizes. On the surface it may seem to work but if the files are too big to be split into packets which would neatly fit onto a cd format, it may be impractical.
Posted By: friedmonky

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/16/05 10:41 PM

I believe it is going to be on four CDs. No US DVD version. That's why I bought the DVD version from www.gogamer.com The whole game on one DVD is great! thumbsup

Rusty smile
Posted By: MartinGantefohr

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/16/05 10:48 PM

Quote:
On the Moment of Silence page, it says PC/CD at the bottom and TAC does not specify a dvd player in the requirements. Does this mean that the US version is being released as CD's rather than just DVD's?
Hi Melanie,

yep, that's correct. I have posted a comment about this here on Gameboomers, read it here .

smile
Posted By: Melanie1

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/16/05 10:55 PM

That is excellent news, Martin! Thank you.

I'm looking forward to this game. The screenshots are beautiful and the story sounds intriguing. I love story based adventures. smile

Melanie
Posted By: Zanthia

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/17/05 05:35 PM

why no US DVD version. dvd players are so cheap and are standard on new pc's for years.

since that is the case i am very glad i got it from gogamer and played the import version.
Posted By: ray-ray

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/17/05 07:47 PM

Hi guys!

To answer your question why TAC chose to go the CD route, basically a majority of other publishers in North America still opt to deal w/ CD's... By going the DVD route, you'll eliminate a portion of the mass market that still only have CD Rom drives. Not enough people in North America have DVD Rom drives yet.

You can install CD's via a DVD ROM drive but you'll have a difficult time finding a CD Rom drive that can read a DVD's.

Price & time also play a part - the cost of blank DVD's is more than the cost of CD's and the replication burn time is also longer!

I wouldn't worry to much though.. the industry will eventually change.

I hope this helps!
Posted By: fov

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/17/05 08:28 PM

Just curious Ray - if you can answer this - how do Myst IV and Sims 2 coming out on DVD in North America affect this stance (if at all)?

-emily

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/17/05 09:11 PM

Thats an understandable point.

Both are published by the top Video Game Publishers in North America
UBISOFT & EA

Unfortunately i'm unable to talk finances, but lets just say we're not EA or UBISOFT

And when UBISOFT or EA get those Tech Support calls from customers accidentally purchasing a copy of these games and not running them... well i wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Although, keep in mind you also have to factor in each decision on a title by title basis!
Posted By: fov

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/17/05 09:19 PM

Thanks for the response. smile

Although I do hope you guys will consider doing DVD releases in the future, I certainly understand making a decision not to release on DVD this time in the interest of selling well. I'd much rather see a game on CD that sells than one on DVD that doesn't. laugh

-emily

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/17/05 09:28 PM

Hey no problem, its hard to please everyone though... i just hope you and the other simply enjoy the game!
Posted By: MaG

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/17/05 10:06 PM

It's great that TAC have made the game more accessible to those that do not have DVD players or can't order from overseas. smile
Posted By: tigger

Re: CD version in the US? - 02/18/05 07:39 AM

Plus there are many European players who don't have dvd's so they can order from the US!!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community