GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1108890
04/29/17 01:56 PM
04/29/17 01:56 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
That's what it looks like. It was worth a try since you already bought the game. Sometimes games will run when you don't quite have the requirements, though they may be sluggish and jerky. But it looks like this one won't run.
Maybe try it on your next computer, but be careful what graphics you get on a laptop. Laptop graphics can't be upgraded.

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1108891
04/29/17 02:13 PM
04/29/17 02:13 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
I guess you're right. My laptop that I tried the game on is newer than my desktop. I couldn't even install
the game on my desktop.

For years I've been toying with the idea of getting a Mac to go along with my PC laptop.

My current desktop looks like it's going to need a power supply pretty soon and, even though I know
power supplies aren't that expensive it's just the idea of whether or not it's worth putting anything
into a relatively old machine.

Again I'd like to thank both of you Jenny100 and Draclvr for all you help.

Even though I'm having all these problems with this game it might be what I needed to get me back into
adventure games again.

Robert

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1108892
04/29/17 02:29 PM
04/29/17 02:29 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Just remember that a lot of new PC games won't play on a Mac. Developers are getting better about porting games to the Mac, but not all do. And Macs at the high end are astronomically expensive. I recently tried to price a gaming Mac laptop for someone and about had a heart attack! The 15" MacbookPro with Radeon Pro 455 graphics and a 512 GB SSD was right at $3,000!

As a last resort, you can try having the gamedebate.com website test your laptop.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=796&game=Syberia%203

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1108904
04/29/17 05:30 PM
04/29/17 05:30 PM
Rockland, Ontario, Canada
Starcom Offline
Addicted Boomer
Starcom  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I agree with Draclvr re: Macs are expensive and will not play most of your existing Adv. games you have unless it states it will play on a Mac.

Also if you or anybody are thinking of buying a New Laptop or Desktop, Make sure it does not have an Intel Video card, most new Machines will come with Windows 10 and from what I have read via the Windows Insider Program, Win10 still does not like Intel Video Cards, this might have changed with the latest update which comes with a Gamers Mode, which one should check out especially if you buy a machine with an Intel Video card (my opinion, Avoid an Intel card at all cost even if it means you have to dish out 1 or 2 hundred bucks more, you will be glad you did.

As for your Syberia 1 and 2 games Not playing Full Screen, I had the same problem with these 2 games and several others while testing Win10 with my Intel video card. Sandford on the other was able to get to play Syberia 1 and 2 in Full Screen because he did not have an Intel Video card.

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1108911
04/29/17 06:41 PM
04/29/17 06:41 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Starcom, are you talking about the video chips in the Intel Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 CPU's? These are integrated video chips - they're just in the CPU instead of on the motherboard. They are not good for much gaming beyond casuals and low requirement adventure games.

I've built and had built several low end computers using an Intel Core i5 CPU along with Windows 10 and the integrated video chips work just fine for normal computing and casual gaming. Just don't expect to do much higher end gaming with them!

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: Draclvr] #1108921
04/29/17 08:35 PM
04/29/17 08:35 PM
Starcom Offline
Addicted Boomer
Starcom  Offline
Addicted Boomer

You are right, I should have added "These are integrated video chips" and highlighted the word "Integrated", so yes, Integrated chips are not the best as compared to Dedicated Video chips, sorry about the confusion Draclvr.

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1108925
04/29/17 10:12 PM
04/29/17 10:12 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
No confusion at all... Integrated video of any kind = bad gaming! However, there was an issue when there were Intel motherboard chips which were roundly denounced.

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1108948
04/30/17 08:41 AM
04/30/17 08:41 AM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
So in the end if I do buy another PC what exactly should I be looking for in a video/graphics card?

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1108970
04/30/17 11:23 AM
04/30/17 11:23 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Desktop or laptop? Budget? Lots of things to think about!

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1108980
04/30/17 12:21 PM
04/30/17 12:21 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
More than likely a desktop.

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1108990
04/30/17 01:25 PM
04/30/17 01:25 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
If you're planning to do any gaming - even just adventure gaming - look for a desktop with the best stand-alone video card you can afford. Many of the more recent new adventure games require a separate video card - integrated video just won't cut it any more.

My internet is still down, so I can't do any research, but I would suggest going to websites of brands you already prefer such as HP or Dell and take a look around. Places like ecollegePC.com and CyberPower.com will also build one for you to your specs.

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109010
04/30/17 03:21 PM
04/30/17 03:21 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I look at Dell computers from time to time but they always seem to be a little behind with the video cards.

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109015
04/30/17 03:39 PM
04/30/17 03:39 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
They're getting better as long as you look at the Alienwares. The Aurora desktop is a pretty decent mid-range desktop with an Nvidia Gforce GTX 1060 video card.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/productdetails/alienware-aurora-r6-desktop/dpcwxt02s

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109142
05/01/17 02:48 PM
05/01/17 02:48 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
That PC looks good. The only thing I notice is if you want to make any feature improvements the price really starts to jump - especially when you look at the "Alienware recommended" list - not that the price is that low to begin with.

I guess you could buy the basic machine and add upgrades later.

I notice it comes with a 2TB hard drive but I'm confused as to the description of, what I think, is a solid state hard drive described as 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD listed just below the 2TB drive for an additional $69.30. How does a solid state drive capacity compare to a SATA - if I have that right.

As far as graphics and the rest, memory, etc. I guess the package components should be ok.

I looked at other Alienware PCs and for some reason I can't find a model number for any of them, did I miss it?

We were talking about a MAC earlier and my daughter has one she bought a couple of years ago and it started having so many problems she ended up taking out an annual - I think - maintenance contract with MAC for roughly $400. She uses it for business so she can't afford much down time. One of the reasons I was considering a MAC was because I thought it wouldn't have as many problems as a PC but now I'm not so sure. I know my daughter's example is only one but it does make you wonder if MAC has lost some of it's luster.

If you have any other PC suggestions I would appreciate it. For the most part I've always used HP systems but willing to change if I could find something better. The desktop I'm using now is 9 years old and when I bought it the hard drive was bad and they had to send me another right off the bat. But since then it's been running like a PC - sometimes good, sometimes not so much.

Robert

Last edited by rmelone; 05/01/17 03:01 PM.

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109156
05/01/17 05:31 PM
05/01/17 05:31 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Ignore those "recommendations." That's THEIR idea of what you need! The base model of that one would be great for adventure gaming. The power is a tad puny, but it would be OK.

Here is HP's version of a gaming computer... HP Omen 870

The 2 TB hard drive would be a huge capacity drive. The SSD is a solid state drive - meaning it has no moving parts like a standard hard disk drive. They are super speedy, but they are also very expensive. 256 GB is very small if you want to install games and programs.

Here is a similarly configured computer built by eCollegePC for $1424. Their customer service is second to none.

Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2Ghz 8MB Cache Quad-CoreS
Stock Intel LGA1151 Heatsink and Fan
ASUS Prime Z270-A (Intel Z270, HDMI, 3xPCI-E, 7xSATA, 4xDDR4)
16GB (8GBx2) PC4 17000 DDR4 2133Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty (Major Brand)
1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps Toshiba P300
24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW
6GB GeForce GTX 1060 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP (Major Brand)
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit (Includes DVD + COA)
Corsair Black/Red Carbide Alpha (3 3.5, 4 2.5) 3 Fans, Audio/USB 3.0
600watt Corsair CX600 V2 80 PLUS CERTIFIED
Onboard 1Gbit LAN included
Onboard HD 7.1 Sound included
Wires and Cables ran behind case and tied up for maximum airflow
3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty
Standard processing time: Ready to ship within 5 to 7 Business Days

This is that Corsair Carbide Alpha case they are using... sharp looking. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/specalpha#

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109158
05/01/17 05:39 PM
05/01/17 05:39 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
Draclvr

Your link to "HP Omen 870" took me to the Corsair Carbide Alpha case page.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109161
05/01/17 05:52 PM
05/01/17 05:52 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Oops! Try it now!

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109162
05/01/17 06:01 PM
05/01/17 06:01 PM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
Thanks. So, of the PCs you referenced, if you don't mind, which one do you think is the best
one for a (hopefully) long term investment and can be updated if needed?

Thanks,

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109165
05/01/17 06:04 PM
05/01/17 06:04 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Try this one then
http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/towers-349501--1/hp-omen-870--1

I don't know much about current HP, but I wouldn't recommend Alienware after my experience with them. Around 5 years ago I bought an Alienware Aurora R4 for close to what the Alienware you're looking at is selling for. After 6 months, the vaunted "liquid cooling" system I didn't ask for plugged up because Dell used cr@p coolant -- apparently based on Sobo glue because that's what the so-called liquid turned into, completely plugging up the works and leaving the poor processor without sufficient cooling. It shut itself off within seconds in self defense. We replaced the useless liquid cooling apparatus with a conventional heatsink/fan. 3½ years later the motherboard failed. I never had a motherboard fail quite like that before, right in the middle of using it, and I have computers from the early 1990's that still work with nothing more than occasional power supply and CMOS battery replacement. I did have a PIII motherboard go bad from bad capacitors, but that one gave some warning as to the problem, so I knew what was wrong -- and we replaced the motherboard with one same model to get a working computer -- cost about $60.

Yet this Alienware failed suddenly and without warning after only 4 years, like it was on a timer, and the problem didn't seem to be the capacitors. I certainly didn't stress it either. In fact I hardly used it for games at all other than DOSBox stuff. The most stressful game I used on it was Among the Sleep, which I played for about half an hour before quitting due to motion sickness. Replacement cost for the Alienware motherboard would have been around $400. A different motherboard that could take the same processor would cost at least $300, and would require purchase of a new, non-Alienware-brand version of Windows 7. It was a junker.

I usually put together my own computers, but the Alienware went belly up at the worst possible time. I checked both eCollegePC and a local computer shop that builds custom computers. Prices were similar, and I went with the local shop. I'm using that computer now, and I'm happy to have something that can be repaired, if it ever needs it, and which isn't a throwaway with proprietary parts like the Alienware.

My experience may only be one, but there are plenty of other people with bad Alienware experiences. Check Google for more horror stories about bad Alienware motherboards.

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109167
05/01/17 06:13 PM
05/01/17 06:13 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Alienware indeed got a VERY bad reputation about 5 or so years ago. From what I've read, they have gotten better since Dell purchased them. Not sure why because I've never been a huge fan of Dell

You could "probably" upgrade any of these computers... the motherboard is the thing to make sure is upgradeable. We don't know what they are using for the Dells or the HPs. Dell used to used proprietary hardware, but I don't know if they still do. I suspect they are decent, but they don't tell you what they are. You'd have to upgrade the power supply in the HP for sure and probably the Dell too. The base configuration for the HP is also a Core i5 and if you wanted the higher end Core i7, that would be more. I have an older Core i5 and do a lot of higher end RPG and shooter gaming with no problem.

I'd say any of them would be fine. If you want personalized customer service and a 3 year warranty on parts and service for no extra charge, then eCollegePC is the best choice. But if you are more comfortable with a name brand, then either the Alienware or the HP would work just fine.

Bottom line for gaming is that video card. Of course, your budget is always the limiting factor.

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109170
05/01/17 06:43 PM
05/01/17 06:43 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Dell purchased Alienware back in 2006.
http://www.dailytech.com/Dell+Buys+Alienware/article1381.htm
They've owned Alienware for over 11 years now.

The reason I went with an Alienware in the first place was that it seemed to have good specs for the price -- and I'd previously had luck with a Dell -- a Dell Dimension 8400 from around 2003 -- which still works and is a great XP computer.

But after I started Googling for problems with Alienware, I found that not only the Aurora R4, but also previous Alienware models under Dell had had issues. And they use proprietary motherboards and weird guts that make replacement with a non-Alienware motherboard a modder's job rather than a simple replacement.

I'd rather pay for something that isn't proprietary and can be repaired if necessary. Not that my Alienware junker couldn't have been repaired, but it wasn't worth the $400 price to get another Alienware motherboard with a finite lifespan.

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109172
05/01/17 06:53 PM
05/01/17 06:53 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Oh, good grief! Has it really been that long since Dell purchased Alienware?! I was thinking it was more like 5 or 6 years. If they are still doing the proprietary stuff, then I absolutely would not recommend them. The last couple of Dells I worked on had perfectly normal motherboards, but maybe they are still doing the weird hardware with the Alienwares.

So, Robert, after reading what Jenny has to say, I sure can't recommend the Aurora. To be honest, to be sure you get something you KNOW what you have, I'd have to say go for the eCollegePC. It's just like building it yourself - only someone else does all the work.

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: Jenny100] #1109205
05/02/17 12:26 AM
05/02/17 12:26 AM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Dell purchased Alienware back in 2006.
http://www.dailytech.com/Dell+Buys+Alienware/article1381.htm
They've owned Alienware for over 11 years now.
I'd rather pay for something that isn't proprietary and can be repaired if necessary. Not that my Alienware junker couldn't have been repaired, but it wasn't worth the $400 price to get another Alienware motherboard with a finite lifespan.

I brought a computer into a local repair shop it was a Dell but the issue was a fried video card. This was some time ago as my current machine is from E-College bought four or five years ago meaning it is the longest running PC I've owned going back to the days of Win 3.1. I had an old used video card that still worked to use as a short term replacement until the new card I ordered arrived. Upon startup that card fried too that's why I made the trip to the local shop. It turns out it was an authorized Dell warranty repair shop. However the pc was well out of warrantee. The guy told me it is the motherboard that's the problem before he even opened the case. Upon checking he verified that was the problem. He said with Dell it is always the MB because they use nothing but garbage and the cheapest MB's they can find and that's why they never tell you what kind of MB is in their systems.

So I didn't know this guy from Adam but take it for what it is worth.

Drac told me about E-college some time ago. I bought one great customer service and they respond fast. So my wife, daughter and son now own one as well.

Last edited by oldmariner; 05/02/17 12:29 AM.
Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: rmelone] #1109206
05/02/17 01:09 AM
05/02/17 01:09 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Had a similar experience with a Dell XPS, but that's been about 8 years ago. Stepson and DIL purchased this quite expensive computer one Christmas. Within a year, it had to be completely rebuilt - by Dell since it was still under warranty. Less than a year later, it happened again, but this time it wasn't under warranty. The power supply had died again and when I opened it up, the entire mess was proprietary. I told them there was nothing I could do with it.

They limped along with some low end laptops for about a year, but then asked me to build one for my grandson in 2011. That computer is still rocking the house! Grandson mostly does retro FPS gaming, so everyone is happy. I recently opened it up and was still amazed at the high end components I was able to put in this thing. Added a 512 GB SSD and now the thing just screams.

Re: Syberia 3/Steam Threat Found [Re: Draclvr] #1109232
05/02/17 08:47 AM
05/02/17 08:47 AM
Sunny Arizona
rmelone Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
rmelone  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Arizona
Draclvr,

I can't seem to find this particular model you mentioned in the 14 to 1500 dollar range:

Quote:
Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2Ghz 8MB Cache Quad-CoreS
Stock Intel LGA1151 Heatsink and Fan
ASUS Prime Z270-A (Intel Z270, HDMI, 3xPCI-E, 7xSATA, 4xDDR4)
16GB (8GBx2) PC4 17000 DDR4 2133Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty (Major Brand)
1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps Toshiba P300
24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW
6GB GeForce GTX 1060 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP (Major Brand)
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit (Includes DVD + COA)
Corsair Black/Red Carbide Alpha (3 3.5, 4 2.5) 3 Fans, Audio/USB 3.0
600watt Corsair CX600 V2 80 PLUS CERTIFIED
Onboard 1Gbit LAN included
Onboard HD 7.1 Sound included
Wires and Cables ran behind case and tied up for maximum airflow
3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty
Standard processing time: Ready to ship within 5 to 7 Business Days

This is that Corsair Carbide Alpha case they are using... sharp looking. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/specalpha#

Robert

-Dr. Seuss
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 144 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users