GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198740
10/07/19 05:16 PM
10/07/19 05:16 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Yes, Defender is automatically activated. So you are covered as soon as you boot it up and connect to the internet. Defender has finally improved enough to be rated quite highly now. I've been using it for years along with Malwarebytes Premium. Absolutely ZERO of all those false positives and Norton deleting game files.

But, if you really want to put Norton on it, Norton will "turn off" Defender.

Oh, that is so bad about the fans on your Windows 7 computer. I can't believe it's hasn't overheated and died on you. I'd get that thing in somewhere and get it taken card of ASAP. A good cleaning with some compressed air a few times a year will go a long way to keeping things running too.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198741
10/07/19 06:20 PM
10/07/19 06:20 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I take the afternoon off to play Sherlock Holmes: Hound of the Baskervilles and when I get back all this excitement has happened.

Are you currently using the Windows 7 computer to get on the Internet?

If you switch your overheating modem for the unused one, it may take an hour or so for the ISP to detect the new modem, so you may want to leave it connected overnight while you're not using it if it doesn't seem to be connecting to the ISP right away.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198756
10/07/19 08:29 PM
10/07/19 08:29 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
There is also a fan on the side of my case. It comes on sometimes and goes off. Used to be that it never shut off. It was off for so long at one time that I thought it had stopped working. I just can't get the cleaning done and now it is super bad so even if I tried, I don't think it would be good enough. I even bought some fans but...

So Drac, I don't have to de-activate or shut Defender down some kind of way? Just go ahead and install the Norton and that will take care of it?

Sorry Jenny. I hope you were enjoying your game. Not really much excitement here. I think I'm done for the evening with the internet stuff and the new computer. I installed the other router and hooked it up with the other modem and the modem will not activate or something. I left it for about an hour. Maybe I can try overnight but I think it is not going to work. Yes, I am using the Windows 7 on the internet though I did download Firefox on the Windows 10 while I had it hooked up.

I've looked around a little in the system. Had to change the clock which had the wrong time zone set and I did a restart. Saw some stuff but not much yet.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198761
10/07/19 09:03 PM
10/07/19 09:03 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Yes, that's what "should" happen with Norton. However, after you get it installed and activated, you should go into Settings to make sure Defender is deactivated. When you get to that point, just let me know. It's just a few clicks to find out.

Maybe now is the time to have the tech guys come out and get you hooked up and connected???

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198764
10/07/19 09:16 PM
10/07/19 09:16 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I did run across where it showed Defender activated though if I go looking for it, I'll probably not find it.

And, just for the record, not all of the fans on the Windows 7 have been out for a year, just one of them. The others went out at some point though.

Hopefully, with the Windows 10 up on top of the table, I will be able to clean it more often. I just cannot get to the Windows 7 well enough anymore. Also, the case on the Windows 10 is much easier to open. Just unscrews; no sliding on a little track or anything like the Windows 7 which gave me trouble.

The 10 has a clear side but there are no lights in there at all. The 7 has a green side and I can see red lights in there and also white ones. Sometimes they scare me.

If I am not too lazy I will switch the equipment out again and leave it overnight to see if it connects. It is the "internet" button that won't go solid; just keeps blinking. Do I have to leave the computer on all night too?

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198768
10/07/19 10:02 PM
10/07/19 10:02 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
No, you don't need to leave the computer on all night. But if the light is blinking, then I don't think anything is going to happen. Do you have any user manuals with the equipment that tells you what you're supposed to do?

It's really easy to find anything in Windows 10. In the white search box on the lower right, just type in Defender or whatever you want to find. You can also click on the white windows icon on the lower left. Scroll down to the Windows heading and Defender is listed there.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: Draclvr] #1198769
10/07/19 10:15 PM
10/07/19 10:15 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted by Draclvr
It's really easy to find anything in Windows 10.

Does that include where to find saved games? grin

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198771
10/07/19 11:23 PM
10/07/19 11:23 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Does not look very easy to me!

One question for now. On the bottom right of the screen where the volume control icon is, why does it show this: 1-DELL ST2320L (2-AMD High Definition Audio Device)? Why would it show my monitor for my volume control? I did get a cheap sound card. I tried the solitaire but can't hear anything. I don't have any speakers plugged in, nor do I have my headphones plugged in. Should I be hearing something somewhere???

EDIT: Plugged in my headphones and now I can hear and see the sound card under the volume control.

But when I do dxdiag it is showing a different CPU than I ordered. It shows the K on the end even though I went for the same one but without the K.
Also, weird computer name??
And, System Manufacturer and System Model both say: to be filled by OEM What does this mean?

Last edited by oldbroad; 10/07/19 11:43 PM.
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198773
10/07/19 11:51 PM
10/07/19 11:51 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I only wish, Marian!

Right click on the sound icon on the lower right and select Open Sound Settings. In there you can change your sound output. Make sure your sound card is selected as the output. I suspect what you're seeing is the fact that you are using an HDMI cable on the monitor. HDMI is capable of transmitting both sound and video. Make sure when you plug your speakers in, you plug into whichever output you have selected.

I have no idea about the CPU thing. All the K means is that the CPU is unlocked for people who want to overclock. As long as they didn't charge you for the K option, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know what "weird computer name" means! I built my computer and the name is "Desktop and a bunch of numbers." System Manufacturer etc. is normal for a computer that is built by an individual or a place like EcollegePC. Mine says the same thing.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198775
10/08/19 12:03 AM
10/08/19 12:03 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I could not change the sound output when I right clicked . It did not show any other options. It did change after I plugged the headphones in though.

I know what the K means (though I don't really know what overclocking means). I have a CPU with a K on this Windows 7 computer. I know I don't need it so I ordered different this time and reduced the price, however, I was not sure I was going to like what I ordered.

This is what it has according to the dxdiag: Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6 GHz
My invoice says (as ordered) Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 Ghz (4.7 Ghz Turbo) 12MB Cache Eight-Core

The weird computer name is like yours then. I never noticed one like that. Okay on the other. I thought maybe it should say something.

Thanks!

In this Windows 7 the computer name is personal but I didn't name it that I am aware of???

Also, those other things do have something in them, the name of the motherboard I think.

I seem to remember when I installed Steam on this computer that I had to put the computer name in there since I also had Steam installed on another computer. When I get to that on the Windows 10 should I put the name that is shown? Does it do some kind of verification or something? I don't want any issues with Steam. It is the next thing that I have been worrying about like crazy behind the internet itself.

Last edited by oldbroad; 10/08/19 12:19 AM.
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198789
10/08/19 08:21 AM
10/08/19 08:21 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
No, don't use that weird name. You don't have to use any "official" names. Just name it what you want. Like "Windows 7 Account" and "Windows 10 Account." Or "Old Computer" and "New Computer." All that is doing is identifying which computer you're downloading to.

If it's important to you that your computer has a better name, just right click that white windows icon on the lower left and click on System. In the screen, you can rename your PC.

There are some things that being worried about is OK. The crazy behind the internet isn't one of them!

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198792
10/08/19 09:36 AM
10/08/19 09:36 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by oldbroad
Sorry Jenny. I hope you were enjoying your game. Not really much excitement here.

Nothing to apologize for, and yes I did enjoy the game.
I disagree about the excitement though. A new game computer is always exciting.

In this Windows 7 the computer name is personal but I didn't name it that I am aware of???

It's so quick and easy to change the name that you might have done it when you first got the computer and then forgot.
From what Draclvr said, it's even easy to do in Windows 10.

This is what it has according to the dxdiag: Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6 GHz
My invoice says (as ordered) Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 Ghz (4.7 Ghz Turbo) 12MB Cache Eight-Core

I don't know why they'd ship a different processor from what you ordered unless they were out of the one you ordered or it was just a mistake. If they charged you the same price as for what you ordered, it sounds like you came out ahead though.

I know what the K means (though I don't really know what overclocking means).

It means running the processor at a faster speed than the default. The overclocking controls are in the motherboard BIOS/Setup. People who overclock have to watch their processor temperatures so they don't get too high, and may have to replace their CPU cooler with a more efficient one that can handle the extra heat. As for why they do it, it's to make the computer run faster, maybe to get impossibly high frame rates at impossibly high resolutions in demanding games or benchmarks, maybe for bragging rights on forums, or maybe just to see if they can.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198796
10/08/19 12:16 PM
10/08/19 12:16 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Draclvr, maybe you can let me know where/how to check if that Defender is activated or not. Yesterday I'm sure I saw it say it was but today I can't see that and under Windows Security there is a yellow warning sign by the "virus and threat protection" and "account protection". The "firewall & network" is okay with a green check.

Glad you enjoyed the game Jenny!

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198800
10/08/19 12:28 PM
10/08/19 12:28 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Click on the white windows icon on the lower left; click on settings (the gear looking icon); click on update and security. In the list on the left, click on Windows Security. Let me know what it says there. Have you installed Norton yet? If not, it's probably just wanting you to update the settings or run a scan with Defender. It may also be wanting you to set up your OneDrive account. That is free cloud storage you have. The Account protection may be asking you to set up secure sign-in. I use a Microsoft Account password, but I have it set to bypass that when I boot up as I'm the only one who uses this computer.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198802
10/08/19 01:03 PM
10/08/19 01:03 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
It says what I wrote above. It brings me to the same place I was.

I have not installed Norton yet because of my connection problem though I think I'm going to have to do that so I'll feel a little more secure on there.

Do I have to set up a OneDrive account?

Do I have to set up a secure sign-in?

Is it really normal not to have any lights at all inside of the computer?

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198803
10/08/19 01:17 PM
10/08/19 01:17 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
No, you don't have to set up a One Drive account. I use mine a lot, but there is no requirement to.

No, you don't have to set up a secure sign-in.

Unless your motherboard or components have RGB (red/green/blue LED) features, there won't be any lights inside. I have a case with RGB features, so I have LOTS of light inside my computer. But there are no lights on any of the components. The gamer I recently built with my grandson had a motherboard with RGB features - I really liked it as one set would indicate what was causing a problem. White meant a RAM problem, red a video card problem and blue meant something else which I don't remember. It was invaluable during the build!

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198805
10/08/19 01:25 PM
10/08/19 01:25 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Okay thanks.

I looked at that motherboard that you suggested but did not go with it. It was one of the things giving me a "decision making headache" so I eliminated it from my brain. I stuck with the one in the "build" on eCollege: ASRock Z390 Pro4 (Intel Z390, HDMI, 2xPCI-E, 2xM.2, 6xSATA, 4xDDR4). It is weird having no lights. I feel like something isn't working.

By the way, when I said " It is the next thing that I have been worrying about like crazy behind the internet itself." I meant my first big worry was about the internet and my second big worry was about Steam. (The order of my worrying.)

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198816
10/08/19 02:55 PM
10/08/19 02:55 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
maybe you can let me know where/how to check if that Defender is activated or not. Yesterday I'm sure I saw it say it was but today I can't see that and under Windows Security there is a yellow warning sign by the "virus and threat protection" and "account protection".

Maybe it's just complaining because the virus definitions haven't been updated, or because you haven't run a scan recently.

Here's a website that might help
https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-activate-Windows-Defender-on-Windows-10?share=1

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198817
10/08/19 03:05 PM
10/08/19 03:05 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Ah, I misread that, oldbroad! But there IS a lot of crazy behind the internet!

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198823
10/08/19 04:18 PM
10/08/19 04:18 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I got my Norton on there.

How the heck do I set Firefox as my default. I've checked it but it doesn't take. I've gone in to settings and "choose defaults by app" but how do I get it to set as default?

Ah! Got it!

Last edited by oldbroad; 10/08/19 04:22 PM.
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198826
10/08/19 04:37 PM
10/08/19 04:37 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
You beat me to it!

Re: Hard Drives [Re: Draclvr] #1198838
10/08/19 06:40 PM
10/08/19 06:40 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Bravo to YOU, oldbroad !! bravo
I think you are doing wonderfully well dealing with all the ins & outs of setting up a new machine grin

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198839
10/08/19 07:29 PM
10/08/19 07:29 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I am miserable Mad! Not. fun. at. all.!

Have you taken a peek at your Windows 10 yet?

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198841
10/08/19 07:52 PM
10/08/19 07:52 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I think oldbroad is doing really well too... miserable or not!

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198844
10/08/19 07:59 PM
10/08/19 07:59 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
And I know a lot of people who would jump at the chance to be miserable with a new computer. lol

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (fildil, Fogfighter, manxman, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users