GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Adobe Flash Player #1222356
07/11/20 03:26 PM
07/11/20 03:26 PM
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I have a question for those who are well connected with Big Fish:

Why is BF still using Adobe Flash Player to show preview clips of their games? This software was known to be easily hacked, and the creators of it announced they would abandon the maintenance of it themselves, at the end of last year. Our IT people stripped it from every computer in the office before the end of last year and we all took it off our home computers. Two of the games I play on line migrated to another software platform and reformatted their game play accordingly.

Yet, BF still is using AFP six months after Adobe stopped protecting users against hackers. This means that, if I want to check out a game's preview video (as I just did this morning) to see if I might like to buy it, I can no longer do that. Since I don't buy games without taking a look at them first, this will put a major kink in my years-long patronage of BF (I have played close to 600 games from their site).

Re: Adobe Flash Player [Re: Reenie] #1222357
07/11/20 03:35 PM
07/11/20 03:35 PM
Rockland, Ontario, Canada
Starcom Offline
Addicted Boomer
Starcom  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Not that I blame you Reenie, but you can still download the Demo, I know it is a Longer process than just viewing the online video, but personally I never found those videos very helpful in whether I decide to buy a game or not.. And yes, BF has to get off their butt and make the switch.

Re: Adobe Flash Player [Re: Reenie] #1222365
07/11/20 04:19 PM
07/11/20 04:19 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Reenie, you and I both have Adobe Flash Player on our brain today. Earlier I posted a question in the Tech board about it, which Starcom answered.

Aren't only the OLD games on Big Fish still having the Flash Player previews?

Also, according to what I've read, the Adobe support doesn't stop until the end of this year.

Re: Adobe Flash Player [Re: Reenie] #1222366
07/11/20 04:30 PM
07/11/20 04:30 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Starcom, Big Fish made the switch to no-Flash-Player videos some time ago. Yes, oldbroad, it's only the older games on Big Fish that still use Flash Player in their previews. None of the newer games use Flash Player in their videos. Either way, for me it is not a big deal. There are also previews/walkthroughs of just about every Big Fish HOPA on YouTube, which you can view if you want to watch some videos of any particular game. Given this fact, I don't see how what you describes presents a problem at all. It's very easy to see what a game is like based on what you see on YouTube (and I often don't even view the video preview on Big Fish prior to purchase as I don't think it is all that helpful - if at all- in deciding whether to buy or not buy something anyway).

Adobe Flash Support ends on December 31st; you can read about it here.

Reenie, just a heads up that the new Five BN came out today: Legendary Tales: Stolen Life CE. There is an announcement thread about it here on the forum.

Re: Adobe Flash Player [Re: Reenie] #1222376
07/11/20 07:05 PM
07/11/20 07:05 PM
Starcom Offline
Addicted Boomer
Starcom  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thanks Marian for the update on BF vs Flash vs HTML5 usage, or at least that is what I believe is being used now. Anyway, good to know we no longer have to worry about BF.
Speaking of HTML5, is this what is being used? or is it something different?

Last edited by Starcom; 07/11/20 07:05 PM.
Re: Adobe Flash Player [Re: Starcom] #1222381
07/11/20 08:25 PM
07/11/20 08:25 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Yep, that is what I'll do. What I am saying is that some games were so "purple-smoked" or "sneering-demoned" that is was easy to determine right from the little clip that I would not like that game. lol It saved a lot of time. Yes, I can download the game and start playing, then decide whether to bail. Just takes more time.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback!

Re: Adobe Flash Player [Re: Reenie] #1222382
07/11/20 08:47 PM
07/11/20 08:47 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I don't know what's being used now, Starcom.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Fogfighter, 1 invisible), 439 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users