GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: chrissie] #428645
11/26/08 04:15 PM
11/26/08 04:15 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: chrissie
I agree that is very true MaG & as a result, as I understand, we will never see a follow up to Keepsake - I think the developers have gone on to make action games?

I don't believe that. If Keepsake had sold as well as the developer had hoped, they'd have continued to make adventure games, despite anything anyone said in this forum or any other. In fact, Keepsake was a lot better received by Gameboomers than in some other forums, where it was positively reamed for bad voice acting. If it had sold as well as TLJ, or as well as the average action or RPG game, I'm sure we'd be seeing more games from the developer.

Quote:
HER INTERACTIVE are a far bigger concern than MDNA Games but they have not come up with any bypass features yet! No-one seems to be mentioning that

Why would people mention that in this thread? People have certainly complained about the timed sequences in the Nancy Drew games in more than one thread in the past, even so far as saying they wouldn't buy any more of them. No one here has said they wouldn't buy Carol Reed because of the timed sequence at the end of this particular installment. Only that they thought the game would be better without it or with a bypass.

Originally Posted By: metamorphium
We independent developers struggle for every non-pirated copy of our games and this really means making the best service for the players who choose us instead of the big boys.

I applaud your attitude. It's one of the reasons I sometimes consider exclusively buying independently produced adventure games. I know I can get customer support if I have a problem.

Quote:
While I would never sacrifice the artistic / story vision, the controls and such are entirely different story. And I think that the feedback is extremely valuable (at least for me).

I wouldn't want you, or any game developer to sacrifice the artistic/story side. I'm happy to say that Ghost in the Sheet was one of my favorite games this year and I look forward to your next game.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Jenny100] #428660
11/26/08 05:04 PM
11/26/08 05:04 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Jenny100, Re my first quote: I can't remember what game developer(s) made a very good game but got so many negative comments just gave up & have gone on to making action games - as mentioned earlier - it doesn't matter how many good things that are said it's the bad ones that stick in the mind! The developers of Keepsake came to mind but I didn't know for sure.
Re my second 'quote': it's out of context with what I was trying to say overall! shame smile

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: chrissie] #428676
11/26/08 05:26 PM
11/26/08 05:26 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

Thanx Beckie I was thinking of making it a spoiler tags myself but thuoght it was not nececcery.

I admire you very much jeny100 and i hope i wont offend yu. But i cant under stand at all the mention or importantce of time puzzles in this tcom puzzle.and also in nickie review

i too dislike time or action puzzles especially hard ones, and in many games they leasve me terrible anoyed and frustrated.But the copor of murder one is an abslute breeze
Also the time-action puzzle in Mikaels previous game east side story there was a very much more hard timed action puzzle near the end, than the 1 in color of muder but i don't remember any criticism in reviews or posts, mabe I forgot?"

just the finding of locations and items are much more dificult and caused me very much more tensions and frustration.and you can see that in many call for help on gb hints here specially in the theater workshop and industial area.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: chrissie] #428682
11/26/08 05:56 PM
11/26/08 05:56 PM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: chrissie

Metamorphium, it's nice that you pay attention to comments & glad to hear that you wouldn't compromise your ideas. Can you tell me: how easy is it to incorporate bypass features for a timed puzzle if you are on a limited budget? Also, if you wanted to include say a sound/musical or colour matching etc puzzle - how easy would it be to incorporate in the start menu an alternative 'clue' for them? smile

It's quite easy - it's a design choice. In GitS ( for your information the budget was $0 and we made it - two people in our free time, so the budget is not a factor here) - I've included the option to skip the arcade minigames and the sound puzzle ex-post mainly because of the reaction of Marita (and I can't thank her enough for that suggestion. hearts ). When you build and finetune your game you also by the process of testing get totally proficient in it, which means that you do stuff thousand times faster than other gamers, just because you trained it for millions of times. It's vital to have a pair of fresh eyes and hands for some independent view.

I think that if anyone told Mikael the sequence is unplayable, he would consider putting in an optional-skip. But I think most of the testers never realized it's a time sequence (I deliberately don't mention the first version which was almost unplayable even for me. :D)

I personally find Mikael as one of those who really listens to his gamers and he's one of the finest game developers I've had the chance to meet, so I don't think there was any ill-intention in putting this sequence in. I am glad he got such a nice review for Colour of Murder here on GB, because he definitely deserves it for this very-well told story. bravo

So come on Mikael - give us new Carol Reed game already! wink

Developing: ...

www.cbe-software.com

Created J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: metamorphium] #428729
11/26/08 07:49 PM
11/26/08 07:49 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Here's the GameBoomers' review commentary on the timed puzzle in East Side Story:
Quote:
Carol is in danger at certain times, adding dramatic tension. One timed sequence near game's end suits the plot, but took me several attempts to beat (failure puts you back at the right moment to try again).

There was talk of a bypass for puzzles in Nikopol before the game was released. But the developers then made the decision not to include a by-pass -- here was the response in the GameBoomers' review:
Quote:
Perhaps because the game is not lengthy, the developers opted to not include a bypass for puzzles. I’m a bit surly on this because, when interviewed prior to the release of the game, a developer indicated this feature was going to be included. I want to point out that the “Tex Murphy” games and even a more contemporary offering such as “Keepsake” had this feature, and were all the better for it. Those players who wish to not avail themselves of the bypass don’t have to, and those who spend an inordinate amount of precious time in their lives trying to solve a re-coding of the pass card can elect the magic bypass instead.

There seems to be a concern on the part of developers that if they allow a bypass (or too many bypasses) that the gamers will use the bypasses to whizz through the game, and then complain that the game is too short! Or that the game is "more of an interactive movie, with insufficient gameplay." I think receiving gamer complains like this is entirely possible. frown Still, I think more people overall would be happy with a bypass -- just my humble opinion. laugh

Chrissie -- for evidence of how much gamers struggle with timed puzzles, all you have to do is look in the Hints forum to see people requesting saved games for all kinds of timed challenges (including those from the Nancy Drew games) because they can't get by a certain section. That's a pretty clumsy way to have to bypass the puzzle, but it's what's sometimes necessary before people can progress in a game.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Becky] #428737
11/26/08 08:01 PM
11/26/08 08:01 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

Quote:
Here's the GameBoomers' review commentary on the timed puzzle in East Side Story:
Quote:
:Carol is in danger at certain times, adding dramatic tension. One timed sequence near game's end suits the plot, but took me several attempts to beat (failure puts you back at the right moment to try again).

Becky-thanx for the correct and acurate info

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Becky] #429070
11/27/08 02:15 PM
11/27/08 02:15 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Originally Posted By: Becky

There seems to be a concern on the part of developers that if they allow a bypass (or too many bypasses) that the gamers will use the bypasses to whizz through the game, and then complain that the game is too short! Or that the game is "more of an interactive movie, with insufficient gameplay." I think receiving gamer complains like this is entirely possible. frown Still, I think more people overall would be happy with a bypass -- just my humble opinion. laugh

I agree that more people would be happy with a bypass & I also think that the feature would sell more games - I've lost count of the time I've read posts from members here stating they would not be buying a certain game because of timed and/or arcade sequences.

There maybe some games that would be substantially shortened & lose their 'essence' by having a bypass feature where these elements are an essential part of the game & well integrated - one or two of the Nancy Drew games spring to mind & possibly Nikopol from what I've read??? (I haven't played it yet!) But for the most part I just can't think of any others that would be that much shortened.

I think many AGs in general are accused of being 'interactive movies with insufficient gameplay' anyway - usually, from what I can gather, players that are getting more out of other genres! As for them ending up like that if you introduce bypass features - I find the reviewers here on GB quite astute!

Quote:
Chrissie -- for evidence of how much gamers struggle with timed puzzles, all you have to do is look in the Hints forum to see people requesting saved games for all kinds of timed challenges (including those from the Nancy Drew games) because they can't get by a certain section. That's a pretty clumsy way to have to bypass the puzzle, but it's what's sometimes necessary before people can progress in a game.

I frequently look at the hints forum as I'm always interested to see where people have got stuck on games that I've played. If there's a timed puzzle involved I'm never surprised to see so many requests for save games! When there is no other alternative I think GB does a wonderful job & I have been tempted many times (especially for Nancy Drews!) to ask for more saves than just the one I ever requested. The reason I have usually resisted is that there are slight variations in the order of gameplay so you get a save which is someone elses order of play - so I end up just battling away & making the air blue lol but would gladly use a bypass feature if available!

For a strict linear game I think saves are okay but agree that it is clumsy solution as I've also seen that it's difficult & frustrating for some players requesting them to work out what to do with them when they get them! Now that Metamorphium (thank you Metamorphium! thumbsup) has clarified how easy it is to incorporate a bypass I wish more developers would think about it as it just seems to be such a good compromise if they want to include timed/arcade sequences & keep their market as large as possible bearing in mind that it includes many elderly with sensory and/or mobility problems.

I've got a feeling now that if Mikael wants to add a timed sequence in his next game there will be without a doubt a bypass feature! lol

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: chrissie] #429102
11/27/08 03:49 PM
11/27/08 03:49 PM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

I have seen a very lot of requests for hints and help to color of murder but not single one of them is for help on that easiest of puuzzls ever at the very end-Iris at the door

i realy cant under stand why this particuler puzzle which every single person can over come easily if not first time then second or third time causes so much coment.Its not at all similar to the hard 'proper' timed action puzlles in so many other games-to many to list here but i can if anybody wants lol

The company which distribute the game Merscom are very very extreme pedantic about insisting there games which are being translated into many other languiges are free from nasty things or difficutys and Im sure would have objected strongly if thought hard on elderly players--also bigfish.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: LindaMarion] #429103
11/27/08 03:52 PM
11/27/08 03:52 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Honestly, if the game is as good as you say why do you feel the need to sell it? This is really starting to just sound like a sales pitch. Let it go already please.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #429107
11/27/08 04:12 PM
11/27/08 04:12 PM
San Francisco area, Calif.
Carrie Offline
Settled Boomer
Carrie  Offline
Settled Boomer

San Francisco area, Calif.
For me, it's mostly an issue of CHANGE... I don't like it. I do like this series the way it is; for its seeming spartan simplicity combined with a complex, well-thought-out storyline. I get bored when something has been 'dumbed' down, and despite difficulties in solving, I'm drawn to and held by a challenge. So when there was mention of a timed challenge, I was more effected by any changes from the norm, rather than having to dash around in the endgame sequence.catrub

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Upsydaisy] #429146
11/27/08 06:16 PM
11/27/08 06:16 PM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
I remember when I played Zork: Nemesis almost 10 years ago, I had to do a timed puzzle as well. The puzzle made perfect sense at that moment in the game. The same does the small timed puzzle in Nikopol - at least the timed puzzle in the demo did.

Timed puzzles that makes no sense in the game at all - I don't like.

Generally, though, many games have a tough last puzzle in them, I agree. Compared to say RPGs, a tough (timed) puzzle could be seen as the AG's (adventure games) equivalent to the tough boss battles in RPGs. I just hope any timed puzzles do not require the slight of hand, since my dexterity is not that great...

For timed puzzles in general, I think it would be a great to let the player choose the autosolve option say after the player has failed the puzzle 3 times or so. So Blonde had mini-games in them; you could just hit the autosolve button and then you could get on with the story...

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Karsten] #429162
11/27/08 07:09 PM
11/27/08 07:09 PM
Sweden
Mikael Offline
Addicted Boomer
Mikael  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sweden
First of all, I don't think that my game has been unnecessarily "picked on". The only one that should be hurt by criticism due to the timed scene is me, and I'm not, so let's leave it at that.

I generally don't like timed puzzles either. Most of the time, they are designed to make the game more difficult. These are not the kind of puzzles I personally like to solve, and I think that goes for most adventure game players as well. I'm also very bad at timed puzzles. There are lots of games I haven't been able to finish due to timed elements.

However, the timed scene in The Colour of Murder is not supposed to be challenging to the player. I didn't even think of it as a puzzle. My reason for implementing the timed element is that I didn't like the idea of the player being able to simply leave the game running without anything happening at all. If the scene isn't completed in time, the player does not die, and does not have to load a saved game. Neither is the scene more difficult to complete for people with sight, hearing, or cognitive issues.

I'm glad to see that several posters in this thread didn't even realize that the scene had a time limit, since that is part of the whole idea.

I can not say whether it was right or wrong to design the scene the way it is. I do, however, listen very carefully and take serious note of comments like these from players.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Mikael] #429358
11/28/08 08:58 AM
11/28/08 08:58 AM
Bonney Lake, Washington
sarahandus Offline OP
Settled Boomer
sarahandus  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Bonney Lake, Washington

From the one who started this whole idiotic discussion, I humbly apologize. I loved the game and all the Carol Reed games and the posting here was in a moment of frustration. I am so sorry to have whined here about so small a matter. The timed puzzle was correct for the game as far as I am concerned and as long as they stay relatively easy, I won't complain again.

Again, I am sorry to have started this discussion.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: sarahandus] #429372
11/28/08 09:26 AM
11/28/08 09:26 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Sarah, you have nothing to be sorry about. The fact that a mountain grew out of a mole hill was not your doing.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: sarahandus] #429524
11/28/08 03:02 PM
11/28/08 03:02 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
sarahandus, I wasn't going to post another thing on this thread as I feel I've said too much already! I feel so awful now reading your post as it is not you that should be apologising, you have every right to air your complaints, so I know that I'm one person that should be apologising to you.

I'm sorry - there was no intention on my part to be hurtful to anyone not least of all you.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: chrissie] #429826
11/29/08 05:44 AM
11/29/08 05:44 AM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

seems theres agreeement Mikal

it would be very good if dificult slider and timed puzzls should have by passes.
ultra easy ones like the 1 at end of Tcom is no need cos there easier than all other ordinary puzles

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: chrissie] #429890
11/29/08 09:59 AM
11/29/08 09:59 AM
Bonney Lake, Washington
sarahandus Offline OP
Settled Boomer
sarahandus  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Bonney Lake, Washington
You mean I can come out of the corner now?

Thanks all~

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: sarahandus] #429910
11/29/08 11:01 AM
11/29/08 11:01 AM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
To me, discussion is good and great smile Communication are what it is all about. If or when a topic get many responses, it is because the topic or question is a good one, not because the commenters are angry or anything like that...

I'm just glad Mikael is listening...

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 291 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users