GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? #470225
03/03/09 12:04 PM
03/03/09 12:04 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
I was reading a neat article last night in the March edition of GameInformer about the credits after a game. I tried to find a link so you all could read it, but no luck so far.

The article brought up some points which led me to the following questions:

1) Do you like to watch the credits? If so, why? If not, why?

2) Do you skip credits whenever possible, and if so, what would give you incentive to watch them?

3) Do you think the credits are too long? Which game had the longest or shortest credits?

4)Do you like the way some developers provide extra content at the end of the credits? What type of content is most valuable to you?

5) Is there a game that got the credit section "just right?" Which one? Why?

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? [Re: looney4labs] #470232
03/03/09 12:14 PM
03/03/09 12:14 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Hi, L4L

Good topic !!

(1) No..(WhY) Game play is to important for me to care. lol

(2) Yes.. For me nothing..

(3) Can't answer, I never watch them lol

(4) N/A to me

(5) N/A to me

Thanks, L4L

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? [Re: looney4labs] #470234
03/03/09 12:19 PM
03/03/09 12:19 PM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

1. Yes - I have to; I might miss a cutscene, need info or check who did what.
2. I don't skip. I like the credits with additional info, reprised scenes, music...
3. Not long - giving the people who worked on the game exposure is great. I can't remember lengths. wink
4. Yes , I do. As above.
5. One comes to mind - Ankh. I'm sure there are more but my memory is not good.
Oh - another is 80 days.

Thanks, L4L.

Re: Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? [Re: MaG] #470249
03/03/09 12:34 PM
03/03/09 12:34 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline OP
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Darlene, I like to skip them but as MaG said, I did enjoy Ankh's and even mentioned it in my review. wave

MaG, now that you mention, 80 Days was another good one wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? [Re: MaG] #470252
03/03/09 12:38 PM
03/03/09 12:38 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
1 and 2. I don't like to watch them. But I usually do because sometimes there's an added cut scene after the credits -- and you don't see it unless you watch the credits after the game. Watching them from the menu shows only the credits, not the cut scene.

I don't find scrolling credits particularly useful. If I want to find out who worked on a game, I'd much rather look at a static list of credits printed in a game manual.

3. Return to Ravenhearst had really long credits, and I had to watch them in dead silence because I'd turned off the music towards the end of the game in order to hear the background sounds. There was no way to find out what the background music for the credits would have been like without replaying the entire game.

4. Extra content? Extra cut scenes that tell a little more about the story or about upcoming games. I'd really rather these not be put at the end of credits though.

5. "Just right" would be printed in the game manual. You shouldn't have to reinstall a game to find out who worked on it.

Re: Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? [Re: Jenny100] #470255
03/03/09 12:51 PM
03/03/09 12:51 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Personally, I don't mind watching the credits, they give me a chance to relax, a nice time when I don't have to do anything, not even pay attention if I don't feel like it! I do read the names sometimes even though I don't recognize anyone and I think about all of them working hard on the game, whether I enjoyed the game or not is another matter.

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? [Re: sierramindy] #470262
03/03/09 01:07 PM
03/03/09 01:07 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Without a lot of thinking, I couldn't name a game that displayed credits "perfectly" for me - but my answer in general would be that the only thing I don't like is being forced to watch them .. ie .. not being given the option to quit the game without watching them shame

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? [Re: Mad] #470273
03/03/09 01:27 PM
03/03/09 01:27 PM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
1) I don't like to watch the credits but i do it very often in case there is a cut scene after the credits or if i want to see a specific information such as music creators (i really love the soundtracks)
2) I skip the credits if i didn't like the game or i don't want to know about the music
3) Some of them are long but i don't recall any games
4) Yes i do
5) I don't know which one is right or wrong. If something bothers me about the credits it doesn't mean it's not right

Nice topic wave

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? [Re: looney4labs] #470310
03/03/09 02:42 PM
03/03/09 02:42 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi looney4labs - it's an intereting topic!

Yes, I'm not interested in most of them as they are just a list of names that mean nothing but I like to look to see who has done the voice acting - sadly some games don't list them.

2) Do you skip credits whenever possible, and if so, what would give you incentive to watch them?

Re above I look out for the voice actors! An incentive to watch the others might be photos of them showing how they were involved in the making of the game.

3) Do you think the credits are too long? Which game had the longest or shortest credits?

I don't know, but I'd prefer to be able to exit the game without having to 'watch' them before being able to do so.

4)Do you like the way some developers provide extra content at the end of the credits? What type of content is most valuable to you?

It depends on the content. I quite like out-takes & perhaps news of a future game.

I can't think of a specific game, but one that breaks down the specific things you can view e.g. designer, artist, voice actors, out-takes etc

smile

Re: Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? [Re: Volkana] #470316
03/03/09 02:58 PM
03/03/09 02:58 PM
PolloDiablo Offline
Settled Boomer
PolloDiablo  Offline
Settled Boomer

Sometimes, for instance when I've played other games by the same developer. I try and see if I recognize their names. Especially like to watch when I've beta tested the game. wink

Only if it takes too long. An incentive to watch them is if there are scenes or characters from the game to accompany the list of names.

Generally speaking credits are not too long, and ofcourse games by small independent teams (Scratches, Rhiannon, the Carol Reed games) have shorter credits than games by large teams.

Not particularly, no. I don't like to be forced to watch until the end for fear of missing something important.

I like the way the Carol Reed games have the credits: e.g. the voice actors are accompanied by the portrait of the character they play.

But I agree that credits in a printed manual are best, you can always look them up if you are curious and don't have to reinstall the game.

I'll be back, one day, when I feel like it.
Re: Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? [Re: PolloDiablo] #470373
03/03/09 05:47 PM
03/03/09 05:47 PM
Northern California
MousePower Offline
Settled Boomer
MousePower  Offline
Settled Boomer

Northern California
1) I do like to watch the credits. Sometimes you get a fun little surprise as to who did the voice acting. I also like seeing how many women worked on the technical aspects of a game. And also what country it was produced in.

2)I usually don't skip them.

3)I don't really have any opinions about length. It doesn't matter to me.

4) I do enjoy seeing out-takes and previews.

5) Tunguska had fun credits- lots of out-takes.

Re: Video Game Credits-too long, too short, or just right? [Re: MousePower] #470470
03/03/09 09:48 PM
03/03/09 09:48 PM
pamella Offline
Settled Boomer
pamella  Offline
Settled Boomer

1) Yes of course, there is always hope at the end of them there will be a bit more of the story or a teaser for the sequel.

2) I usually watch them, and incentive would be if there was likely to be an additional animation at the end. In Ankh all the characters were doing a cool little dance during the credits which was amusing to watch.

3) I guess credits are as long as the number of people involved in the game so they can't be too long.

4)I like the extra content, it is what makes the credits worth watching

5) Ankh.

The person who said that money doesn't buy happiness didn't know where to go shopping.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (flotsam, 1 invisible), 491 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users