GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Going the way of downloads? #500796
05/15/09 10:02 PM
05/15/09 10:02 PM
San Jose, California
Cissy Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Cissy  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

San Jose, California
Does it really look like downloading games will be the wave of the future? I sure hope not. I like have a boxed game I can keep on the shelf to play another time. Or, sell it to someone like on Ebay or here.

I see that Still Life 2 is a download. Will this be out as a boxed game eventually? I am so disappointed to see this.

What are your thoughts?

~Cissy
~I love PC Adventure Games
Re: Going the way of downloads? [Re: Cissy] #500798
05/15/09 10:05 PM
05/15/09 10:05 PM
J
JMartin Offline
Shy Boomer
JMartin  Offline
Shy Boomer
J

Downloads are just a fast way for a publisher to get the game out before they can get boxed to retail.

Still Life 2 will be out boxed in the new few months.

J
Re: Going the way of downloads? [Re: JMartin] #500800
05/15/09 10:08 PM
05/15/09 10:08 PM
San Jose, California
Cissy Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Cissy  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

San Jose, California
Thank you, JMartin! I sure appreciate the news smile Great. I wonder if we will see an anouncement here at GB for the boxed version.

~Cissy
Re: Going the way of downloads? [Re: Cissy] #500816
05/15/09 11:01 PM
05/15/09 11:01 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Cissy, we have had many discussions regarding downloading vs. boxes. I'd rather not rehash them, since the discission always ends up the same.

In regards to Still Life there are also mumerous posts regarding the boxed copy, including one a few days ago Here.

The boxed will be out in the US in August.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Going the way of downloads? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #500821
05/15/09 11:13 PM
05/15/09 11:13 PM
San Jose, California
Cissy Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Cissy  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

San Jose, California
Sorry. I haven't been around for awhile. You can delete my entire thread.

~Cissy
Re: Going the way of downloads? [Re: Cissy] #501000
05/16/09 12:55 PM
05/16/09 12:55 PM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
I'd like to add my comment on dowloading games. I had not really realized it but many of the new 'mini-notebooks' don't come with a dvd/cd drive! So only way to put a game on is to download it-or install one from one of those tiny gizmos i think is called a 'jump drive?'..they connect to a USB port on the notebook. I think that is another reason for making downloading available to those who need it.

Re: Going the way of downloads? [Re: gamenut] #501016
05/16/09 01:28 PM
05/16/09 01:28 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Aha! Another reason for the download trend that I didn't know about. Thanks for the information, gamenut. I think this is pointing to the wave of the future.

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Going the way of downloads? [Re: gamenut] #501202
05/16/09 10:41 PM
05/16/09 10:41 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: gamenut
I'd like to add my comment on dowloading games. I had not really realized it but many of the new 'mini-notebooks' don't come with a dvd/cd drive! So only way to put a game on is to download it-or install one from one of those tiny gizmos i think is called a 'jump drive?'..they connect to a USB port on the notebook. I think that is another reason for making downloading available to those who need it.

You can buy external CD/DVD drives that attach to the computer via USB, so that isn't a problem. A bigger problem is whether a game will work with whatever the "mini-notebook" is using for a video card.

Re: Going the way of downloads? [Re: Jenny100] #501259
05/17/09 05:13 AM
05/17/09 05:13 AM
Moondancer Offline
Settled Boomer
Moondancer  Offline
Settled Boomer

I know there has been many discussions regarding download, but since I didn't contribute there, I just want to add my voice to the guys that still prefer discs. I don't know how I'm going to manage to wait so long for Still Life 2, though..

My bandwidth is so expensive, that just the bandwidth alone for a 3.7 Gigabyte download, is going to cost me about $25.00. That does not even take into account the price of the game itself.

(Yup, my bandwidth costs around $7 per Gig)

`Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice
Re: Going the way of downloads? [Re: Moondancer] #501344
05/17/09 10:55 AM
05/17/09 10:55 AM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
Oh boy...i have read posts about the video problems people have encountered! And i had forgotten about buying an external hard drive for them. I guess if it is the only computer you had that would be good to have. I think a lot of people get them for portability. I got one but had to return it as 1/2 the stuff that should have been packed with it wasn't. , the battery and one of those small flash drives that had some necessary software on it. Probably best anyway as the screen on it was very, very small(for me). Now am going to try out another small(but 14"screen-and not 8")one and see how this comes and works. I believe this has ATI Radeon Express 1200 for graphics so don't know if that will be ok or not (maybe i will finally be able to play the new Sherlock Holmes games and a couple others that this older machine just can't cope with!). I have been wanting something for days when my spine and knees make it so hard to hobble in here to my desktop one so i could play a game or check email or download a small HOG from BF! Desktop needs to be replaced and not sure yet what to replace it with(it is over 5yrs old)so thought in meantime this would give me breathing room to decide what to replace desktop with Or if should get a full laptop. I prefer to have my games on dvd/cd. Right now i have what the phone co calls "DSL-Lite" which is faster than dial-up but not by a whole lot. It takes forEVer to download stuff..and it takes Hours when i download a bigfile game from BigFish-which is seldom but sometimes i see one that i would play for their price and order it or download from someplace else at higher price and pretty much already know it would not be one i would keep. BUT--all in all, if i can i want my games on dvd/cd.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (BrownEyedTigre, Draclvr), 267 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users