GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Lack of adventure games #560913
10/25/09 12:36 PM
10/25/09 12:36 PM
Ontario, Canada
teresa Offline OP
Settled Boomer
teresa  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Ontario, Canada
I have noticed the past year there is a noticeable lack of new games. The last one I managed to get was Sherlock holmes Jack the ripper in May. Is this due to the economy? I have looked a lot (Im a fanatic) but cant find any, all the box stores seem to have is beat up old games. I realize I can download from various companies but I like to keep my games and during the long long winter nights(they are getting longer) play them again. Besides I object to paying a price and then having to delete to make room for the next game. It seem I am giving away money and not getting much in return. Comments!!!

Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: teresa] #560951
10/25/09 02:07 PM
10/25/09 02:07 PM
San Francisco area, Calif.
Carrie Offline
Settled Boomer
Carrie  Offline
Settled Boomer

San Francisco area, Calif.
I haven't really noticed a lack of adventure games**... just my own lack of interest in some of them over the last couple of years. But lately, my mood has changed & I've seen many released and nearly-released games that piqued my interest & that I plan to buy.

If I don't see a good game selection in my local 'box' stores, it's back to the Internet for me. Online stores like Interact & Adventure Shop that are linked here, as well as Amazon have more than enough of a good selection. And if money becomes an issue, there's our own GameBoomers Trading Post at which to buy & trade.

I haven't made the transition to game downloads yet, but in trying to get rid of clutter, it seems to be the way I'll have to go eventually.

Last edited by Carrie; 10/25/09 02:31 PM. Reason: **To clarify: I've done most of my game shopping ONLINE, where the selection is good, which is why I said I haven't noticed a lack. This was NOT the case on my last trip to a 'box' game store, where the selection wasn't as plentiful.

catrub
Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: teresa] #560954
10/25/09 02:11 PM
10/25/09 02:11 PM
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
judith Offline
Addicted Boomer
judith  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Edmonton, Alberta Canada
you're right teresa; the lack is in boxed games on the shelves in stores. I had to buy four games from Amazon.ca to get the 2 latest Nancy Drew; Sherlock v Jack & Still life 2, and I really had to wait until they were available, everyone else was finished playing them long ago. Don't know when Secret files 2 & Return to mysterious Island 2 will be available for boxed retail. Still can't find Mata Hari or Memento Mori.Don't know if they will ever be available here for retail in Canada.I'm like you, I just don't want to pay good hard earned money just to download a game. I play my games quite often, & enjoy replaying them,but it's getting harder & harder to go into a store & find the latest game sitting on the shelves. Judy

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: teresa] #560957
10/25/09 02:19 PM
10/25/09 02:19 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Fewer games are making it to the "brick and mortar" stores. This has been a trend for some time now. The economy isn't helping, but it isn't solely to blame.

There has been an ongoing problem with game developers not being adequately paid (or paid at all) by hard copy publishers for the games they create. If download sites like Big Fish pay the developer on time and significantly better than hard copy publishers like Dreamcatcher, which type of publisher do you think the developer will go with?

Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: judith] #560964
10/25/09 02:26 PM
10/25/09 02:26 PM
Naples, FL, USA
o1alien Offline
Settled Boomer
o1alien  Offline
Settled Boomer

Naples, FL, USA
I have super walmart, super target and game stop in my town and all seem to be getting rid of their pc games section. I will soon be buying all adventure games online. I don't download any games and that seems to be the wave of the future. I love saving my games for replay. smile

Somethings have to be believed to be seen. Ralph Hodgson
Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: o1alien] #561008
10/25/09 03:58 PM
10/25/09 03:58 PM
Indiana
marie Offline
Addicted Boomer
marie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
I have found that I rarely check the local brick and mortar stores anymore, there's some much available online that I dont want to waste my time and gas out there looking when everything is at my finger tips. I will always like the boxed version the best but there some good long version games on BFG also. For example the Carol Reed and Nancy Drew games. Even if your done playing a game and uninstall it you can go back at a later date and still have the option to play it again (you just need to reinstall it). I keep a folder for all my BFG games demo's),(played) and ones I'm playing.

Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: marie] #561013
10/25/09 04:13 PM
10/25/09 04:13 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
There are plenty of Great games out there..

Its just that most are downloads for now..

:ghost:

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: Darleen03] #561061
10/25/09 08:42 PM
10/25/09 08:42 PM
Canada
L
linda333 Offline
Addicted Boomer
linda333  Offline
Addicted Boomer
L

Canada
I agree...there seems to be a lack of adventure games out there. I am in B.C. Canada and our stores stink...big time...fewer and fewer PC games on the shelves. I do download games but like to order them and keep them on my :TO PLAY: pile...I buy from Interact quite often. Great service and choice of games new and used. However I also find many of the games lately just don't hold my interst like they used to. Best Buy opened a new store about 30 minutes away and I visited their games section yesterday. What a disappointment. Barely an adventure game on their shelves. I was looking forward to a game discussed some months back...and pre-ordered through Interact...Dead Mountaineers Hotel...but now apparantly this one isn't going to be released. At one time I had to hold myself back from buying every game I saw. There were so many choices. I hope we see a an movement towards more games being released via CD or DVD. I have also noticed that many of the games are now becoming casual style play. I enjoy these types of games but don't want everything I play to be in this catagory. Hopefully some new games will be on the horizon. Happy gaming everyone.

Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: linda333] #561063
10/25/09 08:49 PM
10/25/09 08:49 PM
Lincoln, NE
GuybrushThreepwood Offline
Addicted Boomer
GuybrushThreepwood  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Lincoln, NE
Plenty of adventure games out there. My unplayed list is mostly games from this year. Its true that most of them are downloaded rather than bought in a local store in a box.

Currently Playing:
Adventure Game: Broken Age
Darkside: Star Wars: The Old Republic
Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: Darleen03] #561067
10/25/09 09:01 PM
10/25/09 09:01 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I can't say I've noticed a shortage of adventure games - in fact I had thought we were doing pretty well for them yes

And I buy disk versions. [I very rarely download games.]

I do like to take my time though whereas I suppose players who whizz through their games will tend to use up the new releases quicker and maybe feel there aren't enough ?? think

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: Mad] #561104
10/25/09 11:59 PM
10/25/09 11:59 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Hmm, I'm sort of betwixt and between not enough adventure games and too many! The reason being that I am adding a new skill to my game playing by adding a handheld console (NintendoDS Lite) for adventure games as well as my Windows XP. Now I have older games to catch up on as well as new games coming out. I went this route because for me there weren't any adventure games out there that I was interested in, although I do have 2 in my cart (Amazon) waiting for the day they will be released. I don't pre-order any more and Dead Mountaineer's Hotel is one of the reasons. The release date kept changing and then it completely disappeared (so I cancelled) and now it looks as if the game will never be released. Too bad.

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: sierramindy] #561596
10/27/09 02:06 PM
10/27/09 02:06 PM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
To me it seems as though there is a shortage of good adventure games(the ones that seem to interest me i should say)...and i notice this in the Trading Post(not as many listings and most for same games), and the Hints posts...where mostly the games are either Nancy Drew ones(i find them just plain tedious)or the Frogware ones (i have The Awakening and have YET to find it very interesting...i hear if you can get far enough along it gets better maybe someday i will get to 'that' place). I think the economy really hurt the adventure game developers badly..seems as though most of the very good adventure games are/have been made by independent developers and they've been badly crippled. There are several that i am looking forward to coming out (Jonathan Boakes, also sequel to Barrow Hill, next Darkness Within, Black Mirror 2, and a couple others), but certainly not as many as in the past, and several that i was looking forward to have been canceled. Is such a shame- i really feel for those developers who have had to scrap all their hard work. Also i am another who has become interested in the casual games offered at BigFish-because of the shortage.

Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: gamenut] #562079
10/28/09 06:25 PM
10/28/09 06:25 PM
pamella Offline
Settled Boomer
pamella  Offline
Settled Boomer

There are lots of adventure games out there to download, but the trouble is finding ones that appeal to me. I've found that now that more games are available I am getting much pickier. Many games blatantly rip off ideas from others for example the templars and holy grail theme which was done very well in Broken Sword has been repeated too much, and become hackneyed. Not enough creativity nowadays I think.

The person who said that money doesn't buy happiness didn't know where to go shopping.
Re: Lack of adventure games [Re: Mad] #563631
11/02/09 08:05 AM
11/02/09 08:05 AM
South Carolina
jody319 Offline
Settled Boomer
jody319  Offline
Settled Boomer

South Carolina
I know that there are many reasons why people don't want to download games...owning the box is important to many. BUT if as was said in a post before that you "want to replay" games, hey, just save the .exe set-up on an old computer that you no longer use or get an extra hard drive and save them. It's like a hard copy except without the pictures! Just my opinion...

Jody

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (manxman, Urban Worrier, Orion), 171 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users