GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social #576470
12/11/09 01:08 PM
12/11/09 01:08 PM
Somewhere between here and the...
Asha'man Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Asha'man  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Hey everyone !! I was just wondering what you guys preferred as your party makeup while traveling around defeating the Blight ??? Also who do you prefer to play while in a battle . . . does it depend on the situation at hand or do you tend to control the character you created solely ??

Personally I've been swapping back and forth between two different combinations of party members . . . it's either (1) rogue, mage, mage, warrior or (2) rogue, mage, warrior, warrior . . . I really liked having two mages in my part at the same time but the battles seem to be quite a bit easier to handle with only 1 squishy party member and 2 warriors to just soak up damage.

I generally control my created character ( a cunning shadow clingy Rogue ) unless I'm in a very tough fight, in which case I will switch over to control the Mage so I can conserve mana . . .

What about everyone else out there playing??

"Not all those that wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien
Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Asha'man] #576668
12/12/09 04:37 AM
12/12/09 04:37 AM
Moondancer Offline
Settled Boomer
Moondancer  Offline
Settled Boomer

I "play" all of my party members in a battle. I've disabled the tactics, I put on the "hold" function, and I issue orders to each party member as the batlle progresses.

It's just so much more tactical than having them each do their own thing, which isn't always the optimal thing, no matter how well you've tried to program your tactics.

I have found the best combination to be Shale (a mixture of tank and DPS dealer)- my own dualwielding warrior -a sturdy DPS dealer, Wynne and Morrigan. I just couldn't do without their buffing, stun, and area effect spells.

If I had to trade Shale, I'd trade for Alistair or Dog, both nice sturdy tanks with nice stun capabilities. I am a little sorry that I did not do my main playthrough as a mage, as there are so many cool spells available. Perhaps next time...

The idea with mages is to hold them back out of the fray of battle, since almost all of their spells can be effected from a distance. wink

`Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice
Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Moondancer] #576748
12/12/09 11:34 AM
12/12/09 11:34 AM
Asha'man Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Asha'man  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Moondancer : Yea . . . I have tried controlling all of the party members as that does make the battles flow much better, however I am playing DA on a PS3, so it's a little harder giving all of the individual commands on the console version then it is on the PC version . . . I tend to just make sure my Tank ( Shale at the moment ) grabs all the aggro and then control my Rogue as I don't have alot of tactic slots available with him and left to his own devices the AI just doesn't do him justice wink I am really looking forward to the opportunity to play the game through on a PC though as everything I have read said the PC version was by far the superior version of this game, as they had to "dumb down" the fights for both the XBox 360 and PS3 versions of the game.

Yea it sounds like you have stumbled across the same party makeup that I find myself preferring at the moment. Until I had gotten Shale I was questing with Morrigan, Wynne, Alistair and my Rogue . . . I'm now trying out Shale in Morrigan's place although I really miss her barrage of spells . . . she is one tough cookie !!! I especially like her shape changing for when Mana begins to run low . . . but for now I've been poking around having Shale tank, Alistair DPS ( He just finally got enough STR to wear the Dragon armour that comes with the game . . . looks pretty neat! ) , my Rogue DPS , and then Wynne just stands back and keeps us all alive wink

I definitely agree with you on the massive amounts of cool Mage spells . . . I am certainly playing a Mage on my next play thru, that way I can have THREE mages in my party at once . . . =)

I'm currently trying to figure out if there is any kind of " Market " for any of the craftable items you can make ( such as the traps or potions etc ) or if it is better to just craft what you plan on using in battle, and keeping the rest safely tucked away in the bottomless storage chest . . . I dunno'.

Anyways . . . enough babbling for now . . . more coffee !!!

Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Asha'man] #576874
12/12/09 04:21 PM
12/12/09 04:21 PM
Moondancer Offline
Settled Boomer
Moondancer  Offline
Settled Boomer

Hm, I suppose I'm quite close to the end of the game by now, and so far, the only crafting jobs I had found were in Lothering - which as you know one cannot return to.

I got a bit tired of Denerim - found it rather boring, so it's possible I might have missed some opportunities there, though.

Nevertheless, I do think it's worth making what you have recipes for - I'm not so much into rogueing, but I have Morrigan do us lots of poultices, first-aid kits and lyrium potions.

Yes, Shale is a star. smile

Regarding the spells, I feel quite cross that I probably won't have managed to try them all out by the end of the game, let's not mention explore all the specialities like shapeshifting.
I guess the game has some replay value in that regard.

My, but they've made the site look pretty with all this green!

Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Moondancer] #576939
12/12/09 07:05 PM
12/12/09 07:05 PM
Asha'man Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Asha'man  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

This is only my first play through but so far Denerim has been kind to me, but maybe that's because I'm playing with a Rogue? There are alot of "shady" jobs to be found in Denerim . . . just have to make sure Wynne isn't tagging along as she doesn't exactly approve of some of them wink

As far as trying everything out spell and ability wise I have already resigned myself to the fact that it won't be possible on my first play through LOL , hopefully on my next I will use a totally different party makeup as well as class combinations, just to see/experience more !!!

I am not very far at all . . . just finished off the Arl of Redcliffe series of quests and am currently heading to the Dwarven homelands to try and secure their alliegance . . . should be fun wink

Okay house just got really quiet and with a 2 year old that is never a good thing . . . more to come later!

P.S. LoL I didn't even notice the Christmas touches until you mentioned them . . . only 2 more weeks !!

Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Asha'man] #577065
12/13/09 02:09 AM
12/13/09 02:09 AM
Indiana
Demosthenes Offline
Addicted Boomer
Demosthenes  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
It is technically possible to make a profit off of craftable items. Since some of them use ingredients that are infinitely available, it's even possible to generate unlimited funds if you really want: buy as many ingredients as you can afford, make them all into potions, and sell the potions for profit. Potent lyrium potions, for example, make a profit if you buy most of the ingredients from the bartender in Denerim (supplemented with lyrium dust from the Circle Tower.) Doing so ruins the game's carefully balanced economy, though, so I don't particularly recommend it.

Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Demosthenes] #577164
12/13/09 10:27 AM
12/13/09 10:27 AM
Asha'man Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Asha'man  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Demosthenes : Yea I certainly am not trying to do anything that would ultimately make the game less fun .. .. .. I was considering having my Rogue begin to learn Trapmaking though, and wasn't sure if selling them would be a way to pad my coinbag!! So far everytime I save up 50 or 60 gold pieces I end up spending them almost immediately on a book to acquire new skills for <someone> LOL.

Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Asha'man] #577272
12/13/09 06:31 PM
12/13/09 06:31 PM
Northern California
toger Offline
Settled Boomer
toger  Offline
Settled Boomer

Northern California
I probably played 90% of my game with the same party: two warriors and two mages. My main was a duel wield Templar/Champion. For several of the quests, I swapped out a mage and specced the remaining mage for health and AoE damage/crowd control.

I only controlled my main character. The rest I set up tactics which worked quite well for me. The only times I'd control someone else was to disarm traps and that was only if I had a rogue in my party (most times, I didn't).

I completed the end game with two warriors, mage and rogue archer.

Last edited by toger; 12/13/09 06:33 PM.

Powered by PMS
Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: toger] #577350
12/13/09 11:29 PM
12/13/09 11:29 PM
Lost in the Arizona Desert
oldman Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldman  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Lost in the Arizona Desert
I'm afraid I get rather attached to my companions and use the same ones as much as possible unless the game calls for a particular one.

I like to have Wynne as a healer Morrigan with cone of cold and flame spells, and then a rogue archer with lock pick and trap skills plus summon spells.

Wynne can also bring a fallen character back if you choose the right spell.

You laugh because I'm different
I laugh because you're all the same

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

John
Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: oldman] #577363
12/14/09 01:49 AM
12/14/09 01:49 AM
land gal just wanna have fun
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

How did you get Wynne to join your party? I didn't get that option this is the old woman right? If I remember correct she was by Duncan's fire right?

Did anyone find Sten was worthy of keeping in a party? I can't see him ever confiding anything to me. I don't like the guy and he killed a whole family with children so how can you trust someone like that in your party? Besides I don't think he likes my character who is a female human noble rogue. I have just kept him in camp thus far but should I just tell him to leave? What happens if you do tell him to leave will he come back and try to kill you? What evil looking eyes he has! The party I have thus far is

my rogue character who can open any door and chest. Allison who is a Warrior, Morgona the mage, Dog my best friend. I am like you John I also think of my party as a family, and you get funny comments between Allison and Morgona.

The best part playing the human noble is I get my dog right at the start and he is such a dear pet and saved me in many a battle.

Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: oldman] #577364
12/14/09 01:50 AM
12/14/09 01:50 AM
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

How did you get Wynne to join your party? I didn't get that option this is the old woman right? If I remember correct she was by Duncan's fire right?

Did anyone find Sten was worthy of keeping in a party? I can't see him ever confiding anything to me. I don't like the guy and he killed a whole family with children so how can you trust someone like that in your party? Besides I don't think he likes my character who is a female human noble rogue. I have just kept him in camp thus far but should I just tell him to leave? What happens if you do tell him to leave will he come back and try to kill you? What evil looking eyes he has! The party I have thus far is

my rogue character who can open any door and chest. Allison who is a Warrior, Morgona the mage, Dog my best friend. I am like you John I also think of my party as a family, and you get funny comments between Allison and Morgona.

The best part playing the human noble is I get my dog right at the start and he is such a dear pet and saved me in many a battle.

Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Sherryah] #577368
12/14/09 02:06 AM
12/14/09 02:06 AM
Moondancer Offline
Settled Boomer
Moondancer  Offline
Settled Boomer

You get Wynne when you do the Mage Circle Tower quest.

Just keep Sten standing around there in your camp, he doesn't do any harm. I never use him either, but I did get him to confide in me , and I did do his personal quest. He is useful as an extra fighter when your camp gets attacked and everybody pitches in to attack the invaders.

Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Moondancer] #577374
12/14/09 03:13 AM
12/14/09 03:13 AM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
Sherryah (and others)

If you tell someone to leave, they'll leave for good. And no, they won't come back to kill you.
(Although at some point another npcs might try this...)

Just leave Sten in camp, if you don't want to use him. Just give him what he likes most to raise his confidence in you.

And yes, you can get Wynne, when you do the Mage's Tower quest. A word of warning, though. Having Morrigan (Morgana) in your party at this time could maybe change things a bit. Morrigan isn't exactly to fond og the Circle of Magi.

But there is a way to make it work, I think.

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Karsten] #577422
12/14/09 08:32 AM
12/14/09 08:32 AM
Moondancer Offline
Settled Boomer
Moondancer  Offline
Settled Boomer

Morrigan didn't change anything at all in my setup. I took her with to the circle of magi, and it worked excellently.
In fact, Morrigan is the one person I have NEVER left out except on her personal quest, which is a given for her quest.

In fact I also sent her into the fade for a certain quest to do with the eamons. and she performed like a star.

Just give Morrigan lots of necklaces and other jewelery, and she will love you. She loves me 100% on the approval scale.

Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Moondancer] #577746
12/15/09 05:14 AM
12/15/09 05:14 AM
Sweden
Drizzt Offline
Addicted Boomer
Drizzt  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sweden
I have finally been able to pick this up again now when I'm almost done with everything school-related. Yesterday I finished the quest with the Dalish elves...I also saw the cutscene with Lelianna singing. That's a prime example of what I consider to be good game design - it's like they're trying to make the game into a more cinematic experience. More of that please, game developers. smile

Are they dead? Yes. Unlike you they have but one life...and they wasted it for your sake!
Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Drizzt] #577781
12/15/09 09:14 AM
12/15/09 09:14 AM
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thanks everyone for the information. I don't have a clue what Sten would want though, I know that Allison likes booze of any kind. LOL What does Sten want so he confides in me?

I will leave him in camp . Lelianna was not a good fighter I nearly lost the game with her just doing the victory song. Morgonna is one of my favorites for the party and I really need a healer I am shocked she doesn't heal.

Congratulations Dritzz, who did you use in your party to do the Dalish quest and kill the werewolf? What did you find useful in your party to help with the haunted forest as well as who in the party helped you the most in killing the werewolf. I am where you are now and setting out to go into the forest.

Re: Dragon Age ::: party makeup and social [Re: Sherryah] #577824
12/15/09 11:20 AM
12/15/09 11:20 AM
Northern California
toger Offline
Settled Boomer
toger  Offline
Settled Boomer

Northern California
Sherryah: Sten likes paintings. Alistair likes statues; save the booze for another character you've yet to meet.