GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Myst IV Help #577333
12/13/09 10:25 PM
12/13/09 10:25 PM
SoCal
SincerelySam Offline OP
Shy Boomer
SincerelySam  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

SoCal
I'm stuck in the chair!!! I know what to do, but I'm not fast enough to do it. I read about 3 different ways to do it, including waiting 45 seconds after setting the first crystal vibrating, BUT... I'm OLD and can't grab the sliders fast enough. Is there an "OVER RIDE" or Patch that will let me through this puzzle? Hey, don't get old, its no fun!!! hardwall

Sincerely, Sam
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: SincerelySam] #577384
12/14/09 04:41 AM
12/14/09 04:41 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
If you take a look at the walkthrus it might help you do this one. It is a bit tricky. But I did find if I "remained calm" and tried doing it as a practice and not worry about the time I was able to complete the "chair".

However if all else fails you can send your saved game to Dadguy and he will complete the task and send it back to you. He is the Boomer expert on this game and was a great help to me in finishing the game the first time I played it.
Good Luck Sam and Welcome to the Forum!

Gerry
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: Kaki's Sister] #577390
12/14/09 05:49 AM
12/14/09 05:49 AM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
Are you playing with the third patch? They made this puzzle last much longer in this patch (though I know some still had trouble with it).

Make sure you adjust the sequences in the most logical order - i.e: Longest first and shortest last.
Try to memorize them by heart.
Last is of course 12-12-12 which is very easy to create...
Try to remain calm... if you can't make it, as was suggested above, email it and someone will solve it for you.

There's definitely definitely definitely no logic to human behaviour.
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: Kaki's Sister] #577391
12/14/09 05:51 AM
12/14/09 05:51 AM
Kent UK
monbron Offline
Addicted Boomer
monbron  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kent UK
I tried and tried and tried and then I discovered 'dadguy', he is wonderful and will play this part for you, I'm sure a Moderator will contact him for you if he doesn't respond soon and gameboomers bows to him each time as he is the recognised expert on all things Myst!! He is really helpful and kind. Good luck. luck :happydance12:

Last edited by monbron; 12/14/09 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling!!
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: monbron] #577403
12/14/09 06:53 AM
12/14/09 06:53 AM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Thanks, everyone.

Sam, see if Tomer's advice helps you get past this puzzle - if you're still having problems come back and let us know. luck

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: Rushes] #577445
12/14/09 10:27 AM
12/14/09 10:27 AM
Wilmington, DE
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer
dadguy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Wilmington, DE
Hi Sam,

This explanation is a bit long, but if you read and understand it, it will help you beat this puzzle.

Click to reveal..
Setting the sliders is tricky because often the little slider window drifts down from the position you’re attempting to set. Put the center of the little slider window slightly above the green circle marker you’re aiming for – it’s more likely to stick there and not slide down a notch. Now put all the sliders down at the very bottom of the console.

Note: at the bottom of the console, the sliders are NOT set in slot 1. Setting a slider on slot 1 means that the slider is positioned slightly above the bottom edge of the console right on top of the first green circle.

Ready for a serious attempt? Remember: 6-12-4 3-1-7 10-5-5 12-12-12.

Set the far right slider at slot 4 (3 green circles will be visible below the slider – the slider itself covers green circle #4). You can do this at your leisure, counting the green circles as you go. Set the far left slider at slot 6 (5 green circles will be visible below the slider – the slider itself covers green circle #6), again counting the green circles to ensure accuracy.

Now put the middle slider all the way to the top. The timed aspect has just begun. The left top crystal should tremble, and then retract. You do NOT have to wait to watch for this, however. After moving the middle slider all the way to the top (slot 12) you can then instantly move the middle slider down to the next position (slot 1).

So--from slot 12, instantly bring the middle slider down to slot 1 (NOT against the bottom edge of the console, but covering up the first green circle). Move the left slider down to slot 3. At slot 3, the knob on the left slider should be in line with the dark middle crystal portion of the lock. Next, the right slider. You don’t need to set the right slider ON slot 7; you just need to move it ABOVE slot 7. (The console is so sensitive that if the first two sliders are set correctly, the third slider only needs to make contact with slot 7 for a fraction of a second.) So you want to move the right slider up beyond slot 7 (about to the middle of the top lock), THEN move it immediately down to slot 5.

Finding slot 5 here with the right slider is the trickiest part of the challenge. You can find slot 5 by positioning the slider so that the metal protuberance on the lower lock is visible, with just one green circle between the protuberance and the slider. Or you can position the slider and then count to make sure there are exactly four green circles below the slider. The bottom right crystal will retract (though you don’t have time to watch it retracting).

Now move the middle slider also to slot 5 -- the slider knobs on the middle and right sliders should now be in line (horizontally) with one another.

Move the left slider up to slot 12 – right up against the top of the console. I know you’re supposed to set it at 10, but the console is so sensitive that it picks up the slider going over slot 10 on its way to slot 12. The bottom left crystal will retract, but you don’t really have time to watch it. As fast as you can, move the middle and right sliders all the way up to slot 12, right up against the top of the console.

If nothing happens, push all three sliders again, just to ensure that they are right up against the top edge of the console.

If you have been successful, you’ll see two metal bars beneath the console fall down, and some black/green rocks will float up in front of you. You don’t have to worry about pushing the blue button on the console right away. Push the blue button at your leisure.

If at the end of the sequence the metal bars don’t fall down and the rocks don’t float up, you’ve missed one or more settings (probably by a tiny amount). Put the sliders all back down to the bottom of the console and start again. If you are at the stage where you’ve attempted this several times, you might find it refreshing to turn the sound almost completely off – it can be more of a distraction than a help.

If you still can't get it, I will be happy to receive your save file, solve it for you, then return the save file to you so you can continue from that same point. smile

Good luck,

Dadguy

EDIT: I found a much friendlier summary of the puzzle, step by step. Make sure you read the initial comment about the gears. 1/3 of the failed attempts that have been sent to me have the gears set wrong. (No wonder they were frustrated, right?) smile

Click to reveal..
Solving Myst IV Slider Puzzle. 11/05/06

This can be tough, but believe me it is doable. I have solved it hundreds of times and now can do it each and every try, 1st time.

But, let's make sure you have not made an error that is preventing you success:

- The most common mistake is setting the Gears (down below) incorrectly. They must be set (L - R) at 4, 3, 7. The common mistake is not realizing that you are STARTING at position 1, not position zero. So, to set gear on the LEFT to 4, you pull it down 3 clicks (because you are STARTING at position 1, three clicks moves you to position 4). Then move the center geat down 2 clicks to position 3. Then move the RIGHT gear down 6 clicks to position 7.

Below is the quickest path for getting all four crystals vibrating.

Here is the step-by-step fastest order for tuning the Spider Chair Crystals

RIGHT SLIDER to 4.
LEFT SLIDER to 6. (Timed portion doesn’t begin until you set the center slider.)
CENTER SLIDER to 12 up at the very top for an instant (don’t let go of the mouse button yet) then drag it down to 1.
LEFT SLIDER to 3.
RIGHT SLIDER past 7 (don’t let go), then down to 5.
CENTER SLIDER to 5 (center slider knob on a horizontal line with the right slider knob).
LEFT SLIDER TO 12 (go past 10 without stopping).
CENTER SLIDER TO 12.
RIGHT SLIDER TO 12.

Notice, you don't have to pause on any of the settings, just touch them and move on.

Last edited by dadguy; 12/14/09 10:41 AM.
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: dadguy] #577465
12/14/09 11:18 AM
12/14/09 11:18 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Thanks, dadguy. :praise12:

Re: Myst IV Help [Re: dadguy] #577600
12/14/09 05:56 PM
12/14/09 05:56 PM
SoCal
SincerelySam Offline OP
Shy Boomer
SincerelySam  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

SoCal
Wow!! Thanks gang. Its nice to know you can get some help if you need it. I just got home from work and found all these wonderful suggestions. I am playing the 2004 Ubisoft DVD version with no patches. I am going to try and calm down and see if that helps along with using some of the many suggestions that have been given here. Thank you Dadguy. I will send you a saved file if I can't do it with all these suggestions. I'll let you all know if I made it. smile

Sincerely, Sam
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: SincerelySam] #577613
12/14/09 06:20 PM
12/14/09 06:20 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Good luck, and keep us posted!

Re: Myst IV Help [Re: Rushes] #577700
12/14/09 11:50 PM
12/14/09 11:50 PM
SoCal
SincerelySam Offline OP
Shy Boomer
SincerelySam  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

SoCal
Man, I never thought I'd have to say this but "I really do need someone to get me out of the chair". I've tried it over and over and am getting nowhere. A couple times I thought I had it beat, pushed the blue button.......and watched all the little lights lite up again. Now, how much will it cost to replace this broken monitor? LOL Just kidding. Someone needs to tell me how to e-mail a saved game and where do I e-mail it. I know WHO to e-mail it to, I just need an address and how to get it out of the game and into an e-mail. Please be specific, I'm really illiterate when it comes to this type of procedure. Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely, Sam
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: SincerelySam] #577743
12/15/09 05:01 AM
12/15/09 05:01 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
Sam, Dadguys email address is listed in his profile. Just click on his name above his avatar in his post and then click on his profile and you'll see his email address. good Luck!

Gerry
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: Kaki's Sister] #577796
12/15/09 10:03 AM
12/15/09 10:03 AM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
From my experience with this game...trust me...save yourself hours of frustration and send your savegame file to Dadguy and let him do the puzzle or puzzles in this game so you can go ahead and enjoy the game! There were several puzzles in this game that just about drove me nuts and if it had not been for Dadguy i would not have been able to finish the game.

Re: Myst IV Help [Re: gamenut] #577887
12/15/09 02:55 PM
12/15/09 02:55 PM
Wilmington, DE
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer
dadguy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Wilmington, DE
Sam, here is the primer on Myst 4 savegame sending:

In XP the save files are stored under "My Documents" as follows:

"My Documents\myst4-revelation savegames\"

In Vista (and probably Windows 7):

"C:\Program Files\UBISOFT\Myst IV - Revelation\save\"

They look like this:

2006.01.03___12_40_05.m4s

Notice the date in the filename, and also look at the file details for the TIME it was saved in case there is more than one save from that date. You probably want the most recent save.

Attach this file to an email and send to me. Be forewarned that if you have taken a lot of photos in the game, the file will be huge. Each photo you take in the game adds 300K to the save file size, so 40 photos = 12MB. If you want, you can go into the game and delete some of the unnecessary photos and resave to get the file smaller. Many email programs block emails over 10MB.

My email address is found by clicking on my name at the left of this message. I will solve the puzzle and return the solved save to you. You will download the returned save file to the same directory it came from, and when you start the game, the new save will be in your LOAD GAME menu.

I'll look for your email!

Dadguy

Last edited by dadguy; 12/15/09 03:29 PM.
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: dadguy] #577921
12/15/09 04:30 PM
12/15/09 04:30 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Thanks, Dadguy. :wave12:

Re: Myst IV Help [Re: Rushes] #577977
12/15/09 09:01 PM
12/15/09 09:01 PM
SoCal
SincerelySam Offline OP
Shy Boomer
SincerelySam  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

SoCal
Okay Dadguy, Let's see if I can pull this off. I'm going to try and e-mail you my saved game in the chair. Let me know if you get it. Thanks to all. Also, once you send it back, you might let me know how to get it back in the game. I assume I put it back where I found it. lol

Sincerely, Sam
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: gamenut] #577992
12/15/09 10:04 PM
12/15/09 10:04 PM
SoCal
SincerelySam Offline OP
Shy Boomer
SincerelySam  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

SoCal
You're absolutely right Gamenut, it was starting to ruin my enjoyment of the game. I am not fast on a computer. I sent my saved game to Dadguy. Hope I did it correctly. Thanks for your input. smile

Sincerely, Sam
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: SincerelySam] #577997
12/15/09 10:15 PM
12/15/09 10:15 PM
Wilmington, DE
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer
dadguy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Wilmington, DE
Hi Sam,

If you read my "primer" on sending Myst IV save files above, I mention that when you receive the solved save file, you just download it in the same directory that you found it in, and the new solved save will appear in your LOAD GAME menu when you run the game next time. :-)

I sent you an email about the save file you sent.

Cheers,

Dadguy

Re: Myst IV Help [Re: dadguy] #578007
12/15/09 11:09 PM
12/15/09 11:09 PM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Thanks, dadguy.

Re: Myst IV Help [Re: SincerelySam] #578024
12/16/09 12:26 AM
12/16/09 12:26 AM
SoCal
SincerelySam Offline OP
Shy Boomer
SincerelySam  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

SoCal
Dear Dadguy, I just sent you 2 e-mails. My "save" files are not where you would expect them to be. They are not being saved in the ubisoft-myst IV-revelation-sav AREA. Don't know where to find them.

-----------

Dear Dadguy, I loaded up the game and did another SAVE in the chair so that we would have one dated 12-15-09 but it is NOT saved in the MYST IV .sav files. Omega Stone saves are not in my Omega Stone.sav files either. My computer is picking out its own place to save them. BUT WHERE!! LOL smile

Last edited by Rushes; 12/16/09 07:18 AM. Reason: combined stacked posts

Sincerely, Sam
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: SincerelySam] #578037
12/16/09 02:04 AM
12/16/09 02:04 AM
Wilmington, DE
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer
dadguy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Wilmington, DE
What operating system? XP? Vista? Windows 7?

Thanks,

Dadguy smile

Re: Myst IV Help [Re: dadguy] #578130
12/16/09 11:34 AM
12/16/09 11:34 AM
SoCal
SincerelySam Offline OP
Shy Boomer
SincerelySam  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

SoCal
Dear Dadguy, Windows 7 Home Premium. smile

Sincerely, Sam
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: SincerelySam] #578147
12/16/09 12:27 PM
12/16/09 12:27 PM
Wilmington, DE
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer
dadguy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Wilmington, DE
Yes, since I don't have Windows 7 running my Myst IV, I cannot conclusively tell you where the saves are located.

Try doing a file search from the C: drive. In the upper right corner of Windows Explorer there is a search field. Type *.m4s in that box and see if it shows more saves. Choose the one that is the most current date and email it to me.

Before you do, right-click on that most current save and choose "Properties". Then look at the "General" tab and see what the path of the file is. This is where the system is storing Myst IV saves.

Hope that's clear enough.

Cheers,

Dadguy

EDIT: OK, I found them. Pretty tricky in Windows 7

Saves are located in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\UBISOFT\Myst IV - Revelation\save"

So, you have to find the User Directory (your login name), and under that is a potentially hidden directory named AppData. Then just keep following the directory structure as I indicated above till you get to the saves. The search I referred to worked in my Win 7 system. I found the User Directory by highlighting Desktop, then the User Directory showed up in the right pane, then I double-clicked my way down to the save directory. Good luck!

Last edited by dadguy; 12/16/09 03:37 PM.
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: dadguy] #578295
12/16/09 08:26 PM
12/16/09 08:26 PM
SoCal
SincerelySam Offline OP
Shy Boomer
SincerelySam  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

SoCal
Dear Dadguy, I'm going to have to have my computer guy find it for us. I did what you said and found a saved games file, but it was empty. It was NOT .m4s but a general saved games file. I found USERS (this computer is brand new and was not set up with a username), OWNER,(or public),saved files. None of those other titles were there. BTW, these adventure games SEEM to load themselves all over the place. I found PARADISE under Users\owner. Anyway, unless you have some additional ideas, I'm going to have to wait until my computer guy has some time. Thanks for all your help so far, and I'm sorry I can't find the save files. confused

Sincerely, Sam
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: SincerelySam] #578350
12/16/09 11:38 PM
12/16/09 11:38 PM
Wilmington, DE
dadguy Offline
Addicted Boomer
dadguy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Wilmington, DE
I can save you the visit from the computer guy if you like. I am a computer guy myself, and if we can find a time when you and I will be mutually available, I can walk you through the discovery of the save file locations by a remote connection.

Let me know if this is something you would like to try. I'll send an email with details and then you can decide, OK?

Cheers,

Dadguy

PS: The location is probably "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\UBISOFT\Myst IV - Revelation\save"

Last edited by dadguy; 12/17/09 12:32 AM.
Re: Myst IV Help [Re: dadguy] #578668
12/17/09 10:48 PM
12/17/09 10:48 PM
SoCal
SincerelySam Offline OP
Shy Boomer
SincerelySam  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

SoCal
Dear Dadguy, You are AMAZING!! Thank you for your help. smile

Quick story for all GameBoomers:

By remote connection, Dadguy was able to go into my computer, find the save file he was looking for (it was where he said it would be but not knowing how to access HIDDEN files, I could not get to it), go into my e-mail and mail it to himself. THEN, 10 minutes later, he e-mails it back SPIDER CHAIR SOLVED, I load it up, and move on with my game. To an Old [blip] like me, this is like MAGIC!! Thanks Dadguy, you are simply amazing. happydance

Sincerely, Sam
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (soot, oldbroad), 93 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users