GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
locating adventure game saves #580251
12/23/09 08:05 AM
12/23/09 08:05 AM
United States
I
indyjonesfan Offline OP
Shy Boomer
indyjonesfan  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
I

United States
I always have trouble locating save game files for my computer adventure games. Is anybody here technical enough to provide me with their tips for finding the elusive save game files and/or folders for many different games. I already know to check any folder with the name save or savegames. I also try and use windows search with all hidden files and system folders checked, even filenames. I also tried to use regedit to locate the files, but it seems even using f3 to search the registry is an impossible task. Looking in the appdata folder doesn't always help either. The two most recent games I tried locating the game saves for are "Dracula Origin" and "Murder in the Abbey". I only found jpegs in the save folder for dracula, and I really couldn't find any saves for the abbey. I load both games and am able to load the save files, just not find them in windows. Any and all tips would be appreciated, since I need to uninstall some games to reclaim space on my hard drive and would like to be able to play these games with my own saves later.

Thanks everybody smile ,

indyjonesfan

Re: locating adventure game saves [Re: indyjonesfan] #580258
12/23/09 08:25 AM
12/23/09 08:25 AM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Hi indy,

Some game saves consist of just a jpeg with no separate data file - Dracula Origin is such a game, so you found those ones already. I'm unsure as to Murder in the Abbey.

For XP, the first places I look for saved game files are in Program Files or My Documents. Other games are tricky and go the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data route.

Those are three most common areas for finding save folders. I'm not familiar with Vista, but it seems there are a whole myriad of problems with the location of save folders with that system.

Most games do retain your saves on your hard drive even after uninstalling the game itself. Otherwise they may prompt you on uninstalling as to whether you wish to keep your saves or not.

If you have trouble finding your saves for any game, feel free to post in Hints and we'll be happy to help. smile

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: locating adventure game saves [Re: Rushes] #580260
12/23/09 08:31 AM
12/23/09 08:31 AM
United States
I
indyjonesfan Offline OP
Shy Boomer
indyjonesfan  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
I

United States
Thanks for your quick reply, but I'm hoping someone can provide me with the strategies they use to find save games and save folders. I will be patient and wait for your response and others responses throughout the day or week. Thank you for your advice.

indyjonesfan

oh yes, forgot to mention I have both xp 32 bit and vista 64 bit.

Last edited by indyjonesfan; 12/23/09 08:33 AM. Reason: operating system info
Re: locating adventure game saves [Re: indyjonesfan] #580298
12/23/09 10:27 AM
12/23/09 10:27 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Whay I do is open the installed game folder and see if there is any saved game folder there.
If not there - I follow what Rushes posted above.
If not there - then I search at Documents and Settings.

As for Vista - I really do not know. Most do a search.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Draclvr, 1 invisible), 320 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users