GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: retired gamers [Re: bigmamma1] #610194
03/30/10 11:30 PM
03/30/10 11:30 PM
McClure P.A. USA.
ron.etti Offline
Addicted Boomer
ron.etti  Offline
Addicted Boomer

McClure P.A. USA.
If i am not mistaken this site was named after
Babyboomers. So it is no suprize to me that there
are many retired Boomers.
I am 60 and find that the older i get the pickier
i get on games.I know this is said alot but
for me it is true[the older games are better then
the new ones]
I don't know why.The new ones blow the old away
with stunning graphics and sound.
Maybe its all been done before and they have to
try harder.
I to like many of you like the less talk and more
freedom to wonder around on your own.
I find playing with good over the ears head phones
makes the gaming more fun..just saying.Ron...

Re: retired gamers [Re: ron.etti] #610353
03/31/10 01:57 PM
03/31/10 01:57 PM
Kent UK
monbron Offline
Addicted Boomer
monbron  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kent UK
Just been reading through everybody's replies and it is amazing how many of us started with Myst, they have a lot to answer to, and long may it last. Its a shame there is nothing out there to compare - at least not in my estimation - I'm sure someone will disagree :easter:

Re: retired gamers [Re: monbron] #610457
03/31/10 10:14 PM
03/31/10 10:14 PM
Southern Exposure
lexxy Offline
Addicted Boomer
lexxy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Southern Exposure
I too am now retired as of three weeks ago. I have set up my old W98 for my older games and I can finally sit and play a game well into the night and early morning because I don't have to get up early to go to work. My first game was Myst but the game that really got me hooked on adventure gaming was Under A Killing Moon and to date I have not enjoyed a game as much as I do that one. I replay it every year even though I know how it will end. I too feel an attachment to the older games but I realize that time changes and so must we. We Boomers are adapters and can change and appreciate the fact that the newer games may not be Myst or UAKM but they still entertain and challenge us and what more can we ask.

carol
It doesn't cost a dime to be kind
----------------------------
Currently playing The Moment Of Silence
Re: retired gamers [Re: lexxy] #610501
04/01/10 04:57 AM
04/01/10 04:57 AM
Land of Hamlet
misslilo Offline
Addicted Boomer
misslilo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Land of Hamlet
Oh man!
I still have around 15-20 years before I can retire. That's a loong time!

Although I hate every morning, when I have to leave for work, then it's also OK on some level, since that's where my social needs get fed, lol.

But, it's so lovely to read all these post - and I'm happy for you all, that you now have time to do something you love. laugh

Last edited by misslilo; 04/01/10 04:57 AM.

"You can not escape your past, but you can make your future" - Diana Melkumova - @wowdane
Re: retired gamers [Re: misslilo] #610607
04/01/10 11:02 AM
04/01/10 11:02 AM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
I am so glad this this topic was introduced and just awed by all the responses (hope lots more show up!). Agree with Monbron and others about enjoying Myst and Myst-like games, enjoy the exploration and puzzling-however, did not enjoy the difficulty of puzzles in Myst4, or the 'drawing' in #5. The next one that came out Uru is very interesting and has exploration but also more action/timed puzzles that took away a bit of the enjoyment--BUT still when/if you got past them the exploration was great! The online version is one i enjoy because you get to 'talk' with other 'boomers and also you can get help from them within the game! Enjoy the Rhem games for that reason(exploration)--though with #2 most of the puzzles too hard for me(glad of the walkthrough)but the exploration is wonderful, have #3 on shelf ready to get into after 2, and see that #4 is in the works..i hope for more and more from that developer.
I am so glad i now have time to enjoy adventure games - really fond of the spooky ones(and the BigFish casuals too!). I also remember the first thing i did when i retired--took off my watch--and haven't worn it since!

Re: retired gamers [Re: misslilo] #610621
04/01/10 11:29 AM
04/01/10 11:29 AM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
I've been waiting for someone older than I am, but looks like that is so not going to happen. I can't honestly say I'm surprised as I have long suspected I may just be the oldest one here.
I was born in the Roaring Twenties, the boomer gen of World War One! Okay, so I'm 86 and looking forward to whatever is new in adventuring. The same way I enjoyed the start of the PC games in 1980 with our first Radio Shack TRS-80 when I was 56. Those were the days when something new came along almost every other day it seemed like and my husband bought new computers almost as often. I got the "old" computers when I wanted one and the rest he sold or gave away.
April Fool? I'll let y'all be the judge!

Sorry about that April 1 silliness! My inner ten-year-old got carried away, I fear. I really wasn't kidding about the rest of the post.

Last edited by sierramindy; 04/02/10 11:12 AM. Reason: April Two

To love is to be happy with!
Re: retired gamers [Re: sierramindy] #611276
04/03/10 01:05 PM
04/03/10 01:05 PM
Surprise, AZ
Adorable Offline
Settled Boomer
Adorable  Offline
Settled Boomer

Surprise, AZ
Finally found someone in my age group!! I'll be 81 in June and I thought for a long time I was the oldest gamer. After reading through all the responses what more can I add? I got hooked on puters when I "forced" my boss to get a word processor for the office. It wasn't too long after that that the powers that be decided we needed computers. Before that the places I worked we had a closed, locked room with a monster kept under wraps. As for games, my husband is a big fan of Tex Murphy and Myst and he got me interested. Now I play and he's beginning to return interest (especially Big Fish games). So here we are and still going strong!!!

Re: retired gamers [Re: Adorable] #611926
04/05/10 06:22 PM
04/05/10 06:22 PM
New York
Leeana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Leeana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

New York
way to go ... bless you all I will be retireing now now but soon maybe in six months ... Cant wait ... love my games too much

Last edited by LEEANA; 04/05/10 06:23 PM.

'Worry looks around, sorry looks back, Faith looks up.'
Re: retired gamers [Re: Leeana] #612003
04/06/10 01:31 AM
04/06/10 01:31 AM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Sometimes the awful thought strikes me that I never will be able to retire. Sure would love to retire, though, and spend all the time I'm not tracking with my dog adventure gaming. I've only been at it a few years and I can still remember the "hook" when Grim Fandango got me but I look at it this way - I've still got a lot of the classics to experience. Grim sure made me picky though!

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: retired gamers [Re: Adorable] #612288
04/06/10 11:16 PM
04/06/10 11:16 PM
Midwest
gatsbygirl Offline
Addicted Boomer
gatsbygirl  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Midwest
Adorable,

Loved you post! You have a few years on me but I hope that I am still enjoying gaming when I am your age. Great inspiration for all of us. What kind of games do you like to play?

Re: retired gamers [Re: gatsbygirl] #612991
04/09/10 04:06 PM
04/09/10 04:06 PM
Surprise, AZ
Adorable Offline
Settled Boomer
Adorable  Offline
Settled Boomer

Surprise, AZ
I think I like the third person games the best, but first person is fine too. Also like creepies and horror. Guess I'm just a gamer at heart. Don't care for the rpg's which are practically all you can find in the stores nowdays (except for Nancy). But I have enough unplayed games to last me until the Grim Reaper. I also love the casual games (mostly IHOGs). Thanks for asking.

Re: retired gamers [Re: Adorable] #613653
04/12/10 08:35 AM
04/12/10 08:35 AM
Michigan
M
mcc Offline
Addicted Boomer
mcc  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

Michigan
I am retired, I have been playing games since the famous
Quote:
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
, that is - ZORK, no graphics, only text.

When people knew I had bought a PS3 looked at me astonished as if I were from Mars, only my grandson found it great, so when he has vacation here can use it too, of course taking turns with me rotfl

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

From The Matrix
Re: retired gamers [Re: bigmamma1] #613757
04/12/10 03:13 PM
04/12/10 03:13 PM
florida
bigmamma1 Offline OP
Settled Boomer
bigmamma1  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

florida
wave Fellow retired gamers-You all have inspired me not to give up on old games, old computers(or old people)!
I have finally fired up my old WIN 98 and managed to get Lighthouse installed(in DOS)am enjoying it immensely. Now I have a treasure trove of older games to play or replay.

People do not remember how much you know,only how you make them feel
finished Gray Matter, playing Alice Madness returns and Deponia
Re: retired gamers [Re: bigmamma1] #614114
04/14/10 12:19 AM
04/14/10 12:19 AM
rural Oregon, USA
BeaSong Offline
Addicted Boomer
BeaSong  Offline
Addicted Boomer

rural Oregon, USA
Didja notice when this thread started and is still going with over 2,000 views? Surely that must tell developers something about us!
We aren't just tired again. We are retired, playing GAMES! rotfl broccoli yay

"Come Watson, the Game is afoot!"
www.ransomofatawallpa.com
Re: retired gamers [Re: bigmamma1] #614332
04/14/10 04:42 PM
04/14/10 04:42 PM
florida
bigmamma1 Offline OP
Settled Boomer
bigmamma1  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

florida
rah bravo Three cheers for retired gamers!And for Gameboomers giving us a voice.

I can't believe the great response to this topic-shows that there is a market for well done and thoughtful games out there(not just war shooters and sports) and the Baby Boomers are just starting to retire smile

Have often wondered-is gaming helping our older brains be more agile and perhaps helping with situations where quick response and thinking is needed?

People do not remember how much you know,only how you make them feel
finished Gray Matter, playing Alice Madness returns and Deponia
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 338 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users