GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
A little venting... #639235
07/20/10 07:44 PM
07/20/10 07:44 PM
Sacramento, CA USA
Betty Lou Offline OP
Adept Boomer
Betty Lou  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Sacramento, CA USA
First, trouble on my main WIN XP PC, Runaway 3 ATOF will not run right, crashes after first video in cemetery, phooey. Am currently downloading it onto my Toshiba Laptop w/Vista to see if it will run OK there for me. And I was so looking forward to playing this one. Next, I install and attempt to start Still Life2, on main PC (XP) and this one crashes me to desktop also after Claire finishes first phone conversation, and this game installed on my laptop but will not launch/start at all..Then, install and attempt to start Darkness Within2 Dark Lineage and this one won't even start up on main PC (XP) and on my laptop same thing. Now, I have had the latest Microids Treasure Island game lying around, have tried it on my main PC, it starts OK, and I get to finish the first conversation with the Dr. but when he is done and ready to leave, he just stands there FOR HOURS and HOURS, won't leave and I cannot move Jim until he does. My laptop computer doesn't even start this one up. So, so far I am out the money for 3 of 4 recently released games. And I can make that 4 out of 4 if I cannot get Runaway3ATOF running on my laptop once I finish with the long downloads...I am not a happy gamer! frown And I cannot afford to purchase a different computer for each and every game that comes out, can you?
Thanks for letting me vent here and I hope I was not too harsh
Love, Betty Lou

I am 'the HAT lady"! and "who loves ya BABY?!"
Re: A little venting... [Re: Betty Lou] #639246
07/20/10 08:36 PM
07/20/10 08:36 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Unfortunately Betty Lou, technology is constantly advancing and part of the price of gaming current games involves keeping up with the equipment to play them. You may find that the fix is as simple as a driver update. Do you want me to scootch you to glitches to see if they can help?

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: A little venting... [Re: Betty Lou] #639248
07/20/10 08:47 PM
07/20/10 08:47 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Betty Lou,
That old Geforce FX 5200 video card of yours just can't cut it anymore. I don't remember whether we looked into whether your desktop was upgradable or not. You might need to upgrade the power supply along with the video card. And I don't remember what video your laptop was using. If it has Intel graphics, that could be a problem.

I think you can burn the Runaway files you downloaded before to a DVD. You'll still need to activate the game online. But with my connection it would certainly take less time to burn the files to disc than to redownload a large game like that.

As for Darkness Within 2, don't feel too bad about that. I can't play it either. My video card only goes up to Shader 2.0b and Darkness Within 2 requires a Shader 3 card. Several of us with older video cards ran into that.

Re: A little venting... [Re: Jenny100] #639273
07/20/10 10:03 PM
07/20/10 10:03 PM
D
Doffy90 Offline
Shy Boomer
Doffy90  Offline
Shy Boomer
D

Have you tried manually setting the Nvidia controller to "performance" over "graphics" (It doesn't say "graphics" but another word, but I can't remember what it is atm). You might also want to go into the advance tab and turn off everything that has to do with AA. Also if theres an option saying something about texture, switch it to bilinear. Also make sure you uninstall the Nvidia drive completely, and run a cleaning tool to get ride of the registry leftovers and junk files (I suggest Ace Utilities). Then download the latest driver. If that doesn't work, then there's really nothing more to say then buy a new graphic card razz

Last edited by Doffy90; 07/20/10 10:04 PM.
Re: A little venting... [Re: Doffy90] #639413
07/21/10 11:37 AM
07/21/10 11:37 AM
Sacramento, CA USA
Betty Lou Offline OP
Adept Boomer
Betty Lou  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Sacramento, CA USA
I'm back. I will answer all your questions from here but I will do it in Glitches where it should be done as my 'glitches' seem to all be technical ones. See ya all down there, later.
Love, Betty Lou

Re: A little venting... [Re: Betty Lou] #639531
07/21/10 06:19 PM
07/21/10 06:19 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Online Content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Hi, down here in the Glitches cellar, Betty Lou! Sounds like you need the fine touches of Jenny 100 and InlandAZ...

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: A little venting... [Re: Draclvr] #639559
07/21/10 08:18 PM
07/21/10 08:18 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Betty Lou has been here in Glitches before.
***Runaway thread***
***Still Life 2***

We weren't able to help her get the games going with her current computer hardware and I think the only solution may be a new video card. Unfortunately we may also need to look at a new power supply to support the card.

Re: A little venting... [Re: Jenny100] #639574
07/21/10 09:44 PM
07/21/10 09:44 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Jenny,
Did you actually try Darkness Within 2 or are you just assuming it won't work? I know we have the same computer, so just wondering. I did buy the game but haven't tried it out yet. I know I'm starting to have trouble with the newer games too but still buying in hopes I'll get to play them in the future.
Jackie

Re: A little venting... [Re: oldbroad] #639590
07/21/10 11:00 PM
07/21/10 11:00 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
No I haven't tried to install it yet. The game comes with a key you have to type in, and I'm not sure whether it's a simple unlock code or the type that's going to want to connect to the Internet. If it connects to the Internet and sends information about my computer, I can't be sure the game will activate on a different computer. I've tried searching Google for information on whether the key is multi-use, but so far haven't come up with any information on whether the key can be used with more than one computer.

Re: A little venting... [Re: Jenny100] #639707
07/22/10 09:51 AM
07/22/10 09:51 AM
Sacramento, CA USA
Betty Lou Offline OP
Adept Boomer
Betty Lou  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Sacramento, CA USA
Sorry to be so long in answering, have been cleaning up my laptop and moving the R3ATOF files to it. I will try to answer you all in order and thanks Ana for moving this thread to Glitches with links to my other 2 threads here also - "it works for me!"
Runaway 3 ATOF - happydance I copied the 5 downloaded files from my main PC to the laptop last night by using 2 flash drives to move them - then installed the game & patch on the laptop and started it up - and I am SO HAPPY! It runs on that laptop so all is not lost. I am happily in the crypt and will proceed as long as I don't encounter any more technical problems. Guess I have to upgrade my NVIDIA graphics card -
Darkness Within 2 Dark Lineage - I tried to start this one up after installing it on both my main PC and my laptop and the game just won't even start. And now I have read Becky's review of it and have decided to chalk this one up as a lost cause for me - if I look at it this way = DW #1 was gifted to me by a Gameboomer friend when it was released, and I got #2 discounted (someone had it at a reduced retail price new a month or so ago) so I really am not out so much and I will offer it soon on TP to whoever wants to take a chance on it running on their computer
Treasure Island - I had even forgotten I had bought it, don't remember where I got it, probably paid full price (about $20?) and it just isn't running right on either computer, so too bad - that too I will sell on TP, soon
Still Life 2 - I give up, it's not worth the frustration to get it to run and both computers do the same thing, crash me to desktop right after Clair's first phone conversation cutscene. Someone may want it on TP, soon
AND, we went to supper last night at IHOP (2 4 1 senior night) and stopped at Target across the street on the way home and I BAAGed the latest ND Twister at the EXTENDED discounted price of $16.99! Meant to BAAG it a couple of weeks ago before the sale ran out but it was same day & Saturday I had my back tooth extracted (bad one) and I was in no mood to go 'shopping', not even for ND, slept a lot for 3 or 4 days on Vicadin instead. Thanks for letting me 'vent', and for all your concern and helpful suggestions here. I love you all!
Love, Betty Lou

Re: A little venting... [Re: Betty Lou] #639755
07/22/10 12:57 PM
07/22/10 12:57 PM
Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
Upsydaisy Offline
Addicted Boomer
Upsydaisy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
Hi Jenny
The key is just an unlock one, its inside the DVD cover. The game just asks to type it in when installing.
Good luck, everyone with getting the game to run. Have been playing it for a while, great game just the environments can be a bit depressing-no greenery, flowers, blue sky or the lovely things in life :summer:

Re: A little venting... [Re: Betty Lou] #639758
07/22/10 01:10 PM
07/22/10 01:10 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: BettyLou
DW #1 was gifted to me by a Gameboomer friend when it was released

Did the original Darkness Within not work either? The requirements for the video card were a lot lower for the original than for the sequel.

Do you still want to look for a new video card?
This is the info you've given us:
Quote:
WINXP Home Ed Svc Pk 3 Build 2600
Processor = 2.80 gig Pentium 4,
16 KB pmc, 1024 KB smc.
Drives = 320.05 GB Usable Hard Dr Capacity,
182.41 GB H D Free Space
Display = NVIDIA GeForce FX5200

What we need to know is:
What type of video slot is on the motherboard, AGP or PCI-Express?
Also what is the wattage of your power supply?

It might also help to add memory to the computer if you have less than 2GB. You can find out what type of memory your computer will take by using Crucial's online memory scanner.
http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx

Is your computer a name brand? If it is, let us know the brand and model number and we'll see if we can find the specs on the Internet.

Originally Posted By: Upsydaisy
Hi Jenny
The key is just an unlock one, its inside the DVD cover. The game just asks to type it in when installing.

But does it automatically contact the Internet when you do that? There are some unlock codes that do that, and then lock that number with to that particular computer configuration.

Re: A little venting... [Re: Jenny100] #639786
07/22/10 02:43 PM
07/22/10 02:43 PM
Sacramento, CA USA
Betty Lou Offline OP
Adept Boomer
Betty Lou  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Sacramento, CA USA
I do not remember having any problem playing DW1 at all. As to answering your other questions I need to spend some time gathering the answers - I should know all that off the top of my head, but I do not, any more - I did within the last year upgrade to a lotta more memory - will be back later, soon I hope.
Love, Betty Lou

Re: A little venting... [Re: Betty Lou] #640678
07/26/10 09:49 AM
07/26/10 09:49 AM
Hiding Under a Rock
gamenut Offline
Addicted Boomer
gamenut  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hiding Under a Rock
OH...& Ouch, & Groan!! BettyLou! I feel your pain. I also have older XP-w Nvidia FX 5200 and was/am having trouble with newer games. Just got it back from 'shop' where had a Gig of ram put in(now a whopping 1.5G--hahaha)and a 'newer' video card(i decided not to change the 'power' gizmo..was getting a bit over the pc budget). It just came back the other day and have not been able to get it hooked back up(bad back...have to lift on a 'good' day). I doubt it will play the newest games (like Darkness Within 2..which i also got thinking it might play on this newer laptop but, nope..)but if am lucky might be able to play some or at least play some others better. Have been putting off getting a 'new' system since seems as if right after you get one after a year it seems to need 'upgrades'..pffuii. So--have put DW2 in my lower drawer(games not yet played)and when get new system that along with a couple others will be waiting for it. Darn! was SO looking forward to #2 dw.

Re: A little venting... [Re: gamenut] #640718
07/26/10 11:54 AM
07/26/10 11:54 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Gamenut,
What "new" video card did you get? As long as you got a Geforce 7600 or better or a Radeon X1600 or better it should be capable of Shader 3 and playing Darkness Within 2.

Betty Lou,
The first Darkness Within was node-based, used pre-rendered graphics and had very low requirements for the video card. Darkness Within 2 is a 3D game.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, Draclvr), 466 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users