GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Video Card in new computer? #725720
05/19/11 11:05 PM
05/19/11 11:05 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Hello,

I ordered a ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 video card in my new computer (Win 7). When I look under devices it just says ATI Radeon 5800 Series. How do I know that they gave me the right card? Is there someplace else in the computer that I can get more specific information on it?

Thanks,

Jackie

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: oldbroad] #725721
05/19/11 11:07 PM
05/19/11 11:07 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I don't know of one. It's up to the drivers how the card is displayed. You might be able to get some idea by running benchmarking software and see how your card compares to the 5870 benchmark.

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Jenny100] #725723
05/19/11 11:26 PM
05/19/11 11:26 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Hi Jenny100,

The tech was out yesterday and put a "new" (refurbished) power supply in. I haven't yet moved it back to where I want it or set up my internet and anti-virus or anything yet so can't do much on it yet. What is benchmarking software? Is it safe,is it a download,is it free, and is it worth worrying about and doing?

Thanks,

Jackie

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: oldbroad] #725731
05/20/11 12:53 AM
05/20/11 12:53 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Benchmarking software is used to measure the speed of different video cards, processors, or your entire system. Some of it is free and some not. Read about 3DMark and PCMark here
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-free-benchmark-programs/

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Jenny100] #725771
05/20/11 06:34 AM
05/20/11 06:34 AM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Wouldn't it show the correct card in DXDIAG under the Display Tab or in Device Manager? Or isn't that available in Windows 7.

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: GreyFuss] #725809
05/20/11 09:46 AM
05/20/11 09:46 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Yes, it's available in Windows 7. I was wondering the same thing, GreyFuss... but maybe if the wrong driver is installed, it wouldn't? Don't know.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Jenny100] #725837
05/20/11 11:30 AM
05/20/11 11:30 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
By all means check DXDIAG. If the card shows up correctly there, that would be the easiest way to tell. For some reason I was thinking oldbroad had already done that.

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Jenny100] #725961
05/20/11 08:02 PM
05/20/11 08:02 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I did not check DXDIAG. I don't know how/where to do that in Windows 7.

Once again I spent 7 hours today hooking the computer up where I'd like to have it set up, playing with the phone lines, trying to install the printer and MSN. Once again, I got nowhere.

The printer won't work because it says there's a problem with the print head. I took it out and put it back in at least ten times. I cleaned it with a cloth as the manual suggested. I turned the printer on and off a few times and unplugged and replugged. I don't know what is wrong with it. If I do anything else with it, it may involve using a large hammer.

I cannot get MSN installed on the computer. First it kept telling me there was no dial tone but I had a dial tone on the phone. I rearranged the wires another 50 times. When I did that the printer was telling me the connection was incorrect. When I got it back right (I guess) I still couldn't get on. The MSN set up server is not available or I lost my connection. (That's what it said.) I don't know if I ever actually had a connection or not. Could not possibly get on the phone for two hours with MSN after all that.

I also tried hooking up the phone lines through my old printer hoping that might work but it did not. And the old printer won't install on the new computer. It doesn't work well anyway.

Now I've unhooked the phone lines from the new computer to put back on the old computer and will probably need two hours again to get them back on the new computer before I call MSN.

I do not much like Windows 7 so far. I don't know how to use it yet and can't get on line to find out. (I tried to look at the "getting started" but it wants me to go on-line. Is that right?) So far I don't like how it installs stuff though.

I'm very sorry this sounds so complainy and whiney. I was home on vacation this week and had hoped to have all this set up done last weekend so I could enjoy the computer all week. Besides the problems with the computer, there were several problems with my mom and it has been a very stressful vacation.

Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thank you!

PS Yesterday I found the set up guide for the computer. In a previous post I stated that I had not received one but the fact is that I did. I just forgot where I had put it.

PS PS Just saw in a different thread how to check the DXDIAG. The video card says the same thing there: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series. No number 5870.

Last edited by oldbroad; 05/20/11 08:34 PM. Reason: ps ps
Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: oldbroad] #725984
05/20/11 10:03 PM
05/20/11 10:03 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Oldbroad, since you are still on dialup, you need to set up your internet access. Is this MSN you refer to your internet service provider?

If you had cable or DSL, you would just have to plug things in.

Click on Start; click on Control Panel; click on Network and Internet and then click on Network and Sharing Center. Find "set up a new connection or network" and click on it. Follow the prompts from there.

As far as the video card, I'm sure you have the right one. Perhaps the drivers need to be updated, but I wouldn't worry about that until you net your dial-up connection set up. After this hassle, maybe you will finally see how much you NEED broadband internet! It's SO much easier.

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Draclvr] #725991
05/20/11 11:24 PM
05/20/11 11:24 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Hi Draclvr,

I did the "set up a new connection". I also have a CD from MSN that I tried to install from. Can't get it working. I'm sure I will need to call. I again moved the computer out of this space I'd like it in and set it up on the kitchen table. I will try from there to see if I can do this with less wires before I call. I think the computer will be staying there for quite some time.

I'm pretty sure with my set up the DSL line will be just as much hassle. It's the plugging things in that really are killing me! But, I did look on-line at the different DSL speeds and prices last week. I just haven't decided anything yet though. I even made notes but I'll be darned if I can find them. I was leaning towards just the lowest speed they have since I don't do much on-line, but maybe I should go up one speed higher?

What kind of plugging things in would I have to do? I have only one phone line (extension) that has the phone and answering machine, all in one printer/fax/copier/scanner, and the computer all on it. That is why I have a million wires going back and forth. Would I still use the external modem I bought? I also have a Dell 1525 WLAN PCIe card with 11 mini-Card and external antenna as well as a M10 Valet Wireless-N 300 Mbps Router with AM10 USB Adapter Bundle. Don't know what either of those do for me, was just pushing buttons!

Also, I would still have to get to my MSN account somehow? This is just way to confusing for me.

Any thoughts on what to do with the printer print head problem?

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: oldbroad] #726005
05/21/11 01:13 AM
05/21/11 01:13 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
With DSL you'll probably use a splitter, so you'll be able to go on the phone and be on the Internet at the same time. A faster speed means you'll be able to download games faster -- assuming you buy any downloadable games. Keep in mind that with DSL the distance from your home to the Central Office will determine the maximum speed you can get.

With DSL you have a DSL modem that plugs into the splitter that plugs into the phone jack. Here's a picture of one example of a splitter
http://www.lmi.net/wp-content/uploads/adsl_filter_and_splitter.jpg

Your DSL modem is likely to have a firewall built into it. If it doesn't, you should buy a router. But you can ask your ISP if their modems include a hardware firewall.

Assuming your modem does have a built-in hardware firewall, you plug the modem into your splitter using a phone cable, and then run a network cable between the modem and the ethernet card on your PC. A new Dell PC will have an ethernet card built into the motherboard. The connector for the ethernet cable is a little wider than the one for the phone jack.

You'll also have to plug your DSL modem into a power outlet.

Here are a couple of how-to's I found
http://unlockforus.blogspot.com/2008/03/help-how-to-setup-dsl-internet.html
http://www.mywindowsclub.com/resources/2642-How-setup-Broadband-connection.aspx

If this sounds like too much to deal with, I'm sure your ISP will be happy to send someone out to take care of it for you. They may even offer free setup.

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Jenny100] #726199
05/21/11 08:20 PM
05/21/11 08:20 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thank you for the links Jenny100. I guess my biggest fear is that for some reason this won't work in my house with all the things I need/want connected to that one wall jack and you have to sign on for a year. They should let you try before you buy for 3 months or so.

In looking at the links and the computer set up guide and the back of my computer, I am starting to wonder if I plugged one of the phone cords into the ethernet connector. Is that possible? I see only one thing that looks like a phone jack, plus the one on the external modem. One for the phone connection and the other a different phone connector to make my circuit through everything. This is how it works on my old computer anyway. I either don't see the ethernet card connection or it is what I think is the phone connection. I did look on Wikipedia at ethernet and RJ45. I don't know.

Last edited by oldbroad; 05/21/11 09:00 PM. Reason: corrected info
Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: oldbroad] #726213
05/21/11 09:49 PM
05/21/11 09:49 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Ethernet - or RJ45 - is a larger connector than the one for your phone. If you try to connect a phone jack into ethernet, you will see that it won't work. It could be that you don't even have a phone connection - I know some of the newer computers don't have them any more unless you add them as very few people use dial-up any more.

EDIT: I looked at the specs for the XPS 9100 and I don't think it has a dial-up modem in it. It lists the Ethernet connection (for cable or DSL), but doesn't list a dial-up modem. It does say it had a "line-in" connection in the back, mentions nothing about a dial-up modem.

Unless Jenny or Inland knows more, I'm thinking that this new computer may finally be the final push to get you to go to DSL! I promise you won't regret it!

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Draclvr] #726215
05/21/11 10:19 PM
05/21/11 10:19 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Okay, so then that is the "line-in" connection and I purchased an external modem with the computer, so I should be good to go as far as that goes from what you're telling me. Thank you Drac for looking that up. And truly, I do think I'm going to try the DSL but I want to know the dial up connection works too. I will keep the dial up service until I'm sure the DSL works for me.

But then, I don't see the ethernet connection. What I'm looking at in the set up guide and on the computer looks like the phone connector. It has a picture of a little square on top of a line (in the middle of the line) and two squares under the line (at the sides of the line). (Like looking at the prongs of a three prong plug.) ???

And, YAY, I tried one more time taking that print head out of the printer and putting it back in to show my sister the problem, and guess what? This time it worked. I didn't do anything any different so I don't know why but I am glad.

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: oldbroad] #726235
05/21/11 11:55 PM
05/21/11 11:55 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: oldbroad
But then, I don't see the ethernet connection. What I'm looking at in the set up guide and on the computer looks like the phone connector. It has a picture of a little square on top of a line (in the middle of the line) and two squares under the line (at the sides of the line). (Like looking at the prongs of a three prong plug.) ???

Yes the ethernet connection looks a lot like the phone connection, but the ethernet connection is wider. Here's a picture
https://www.blinn.edu/acadtech/resnet/rj11-45.gif

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Jenny100] #726320
05/22/11 10:30 AM
05/22/11 10:30 AM
New York
Mary Offline
Addicted Boomer
Mary  Offline
Addicted Boomer

New York
oldbroad,
My brand new Dell all-in-one printer has an ongoing printhead problem that occurs--sporadically. The solution for me is just opening the top for a second, letting the heads reset and then closing it again. Then all is fine. Calling Dell is useless because once they tell me to open the lid and do ANYTHING, the printer will then work and they think the problem is solved. I've learned to live with it, since it sounds like something's not right in the computer programing part of the printer.

The answer is....chocolate! Who cares what the question is.....
Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Mary] #726355
05/22/11 12:29 PM
05/22/11 12:29 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thanks Mary for that input. That was the initial install of the print head. I hope I will not continue to have the problem. It is a Dell V515w.

Jenny, thanks for the picture. I still don't know what I've got though. I only have one connector that looks like a phone connector. I can't tell if it is a phone or ethernet. The phone line does fit in it though. But then, where is the ethernet connector? (I'm not really asking you that, just saying.) I'm sure I will eventually get this sorted out. Hope springs eternal!

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: oldbroad] #726386
05/22/11 02:25 PM
05/22/11 02:25 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
oldbroad, I looked up the detailed specs for the Dell XPS 9100 and it does NOT come with a dial-up modem. The only connector in the back is ethernet.

This from a cnet review.Dell XPS 9100 Specs

As I said before, hardly any new computers ship with dial-up modems in them anymore. I went through the "customize" options for XPS 9100 and the option of a dial-up modem was not even offered. If you want to stay on dial-up, you will have to purchase a dial-up modem, open up the case and install it in one of the PCI slots.

Or, bite the bullet and get that DSL hooked up! I'm sure your ISP would come out and do it for you. All you would have to do then is plug things in and you'd be off and running.

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Draclvr] #726389
05/22/11 02:45 PM
05/22/11 02:45 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Draclvr,

A couple of posts up you said it showed a "line in" connection. I assumed you meant a telephone line in. Also as I stated somewhere above I PURCHASED an external 56K Modem which plugs in with a USB port. I'm not sure why you didn't see it in the cusomize options; it was there when I purchased (2-1/2 months ago). I'll end up getting the DSL soon but first will figure out the dial up connection even though it looks like I will not be able to do the complete circuit set up like I have now. Maybe I will be able to find an easy hook up that I can just get on line without too much plugging and unplugging for the time being. It does not sound as though I will be able to do the complete circuit hook up even with the DSL though but that will have to wait and see.

One further question. Do you have to have the phone connection going through your printer in order to print something that is on-line (such as a walkthrough)?

I am going to look at that review you linked to now.

Thank you.

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: oldbroad] #726400
05/22/11 03:27 PM
05/22/11 03:27 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
You're right - towards the end you can add a dial-up modem. I just didn't go far enough!

I thankfully was able to get rid of all vestiges of a dial-up connection about 4 years ago. I think I would have gone insane if my local ISP hadn't offered broadband out here. I simply have my printer connected to my computer which is always connected to the internet.

Because I live in the country, I am unable to get cable or DSL and satellite is outrageously expensive. So, I have wireless broadband which is transmitted from a tower about 6 miles from me. I have a little dish on my roof which grabs the signal and sends it down an ethernet cable which is then plugged into my wireless router.

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Draclvr] #726437
05/22/11 06:31 PM
05/22/11 06:31 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thanks Draclvr and Jenny100 for always trying to help me out here. I know I can be a pain. I truly do appreciate both of you!!!!

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: oldbroad] #726451
05/22/11 07:22 PM
05/22/11 07:22 PM
Oklahoma, USA
Homer6 Offline
BAAG Specialist
Homer6  Offline
BAAG Specialist

Oklahoma, USA
oldbroad,

If you were a pain do you really think everyone would go to great lengths to help you? wink

If something gets your goat, it just proves you have a goat to get.
Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Homer6] #726471
05/22/11 10:19 PM
05/22/11 10:19 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Yup, what Homer6 said!

Re: Video Card in new computer? [Re: Draclvr] #726493
05/23/11 02:44 AM
05/23/11 02:44 AM
Waimea Big Island of Hawaii
hawkavonpuka Offline
Addicted Boomer
hawkavonpuka  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Waimea Big Island of Hawaii
Oldbroad, if you make the switch the cable or DSL will hook every up for you. Maybe ask them to mark the cables with tape in case you have to take anything apart again. My daughter has DSL and all there is is some sort of filter between the computer and the wall outlet where the telephone cord goes. The do have a router in between now because they have a laptop and a Xbox going online, so the DSL thing goes into the router.

What kind of magic spell to use?
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (LadyKestrel, 1 invisible), 251 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users