GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring - won't start - Application error #1178807
02/27/19 12:17 AM
02/27/19 12:17 AM
Yreka, California
Adam Beals Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Adam Beals  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Yreka, California
Hello Boomers,

I have the digital copy of this game from GOG.com and cannot get it to run at all.
I get an error that pops up:

'The instruction at 0x0054cec4 referenced memory at 0x0054cec4.
The memory could not be written.'

The computer I'm using is running Windows 8.1 and it ran fine before not too long ago,
so I'm not sure what is the issue.

I tried playing with the compatibility settings and the DEP settings which worked before,
but no joy on either this time.

I also realized that I have the game on Steam too, but encounter the same issue.

Does anyone have an idea at what to do?

Thanks,
-Adam

Last edited by Adam Beals; 02/27/19 12:18 AM.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind."

Mohandas Gandhi
Re: Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring - won't start - Application error [Re: Adam Beals] #1178810
02/27/19 01:42 AM
02/27/19 01:42 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Did you try running the game as an administrator (right-click the shortcut, choose Run As Administrator). That often helps me with memory access violation errors.

Re: Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring - won't start - Application error [Re: Jenny100] #1178820
02/27/19 03:59 AM
02/27/19 03:59 AM
Yreka, California
Adam Beals Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Adam Beals  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Yreka, California

I think I did but will check again and see what happens.

Mohandas Gandhi
Re: Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring - won't start - Application error [Re: Adam Beals] #1178844
02/27/19 11:13 AM
02/27/19 11:13 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I looked at the GOG forums and see you have already posted there. I found a post asking the same question from someone else about a year or so ago, but no answers. You can always send a trouble ticket to GOG. It will probably take several days for them to answer you though.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring - won't start - Application error [Re: Draclvr] #1178912
02/28/19 02:11 AM
02/28/19 02:11 AM
Yreka, California
Adam Beals Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Adam Beals  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Yreka, California
I'll try that, thanks Draclvr smile

Mohandas Gandhi
Re: Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring - won't start - Application error [Re: Adam Beals] #1179063
03/01/19 09:00 PM
03/01/19 09:00 PM
Yreka, California
Adam Beals Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Adam Beals  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Yreka, California
So far no luck. I have a support ticket with GOG open and they are trying their best to help. I wonder if it's my virus scanner. It called Intrusta and it works really well, but I wonder if it's finding a game file that it doesn't like. Unlike my old virus scanner, it doesn't have a place to add trusted files.

Mohandas Gandhi
Re: Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring - won't start - Application error [Re: Adam Beals] #1179107
03/02/19 10:36 AM
03/02/19 10:36 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Usually an AV will pop up something that tells you it has flagged a file as dangerous. But I don't know anything about Intrusta.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring - won't start - Application error [Re: Adam Beals] #1179115
03/02/19 12:27 PM
03/02/19 12:27 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA

There could be a problem with Intrusta's firewall feature blocking Galaxy hooks.
GOG decided to start integrating Galaxy hooks into their game executables maybe 3 years ago.
So when the game is started, one of the first things that happen is the Galaxy hooks that GOG embedded in the game executable try to reach out to the Internet. That can cause problems with some firewalls, which block the Galaxy hooks. Most consumer firewalls will by default allow game-related things, like Galaxy hooks, to pass information through to or from the Internet without notifying the user. But there have been exceptions, and Intrusta does have a firewall.

There was brief discussion of the problem in ***this thread***. Especially see oldmariner's posts in that thread. He'd configured his Zone Alarm firewall not to allow any information to pass through to the Internet without notifying him and giving him the option to either block or allow it. The game wouldn't start if his firewall blocked traffic and he found a Galaxy-related .dll file in the game folder, even though he'd downloaded through his web browser and not Galaxy. However if he disconnected his computer from the Internet and told Zone Alarm to allow traffic to the Internet, the game would start (even though nothing was going out with no Internet connection -- the game only had to be allowed to "try" to send information).

I don't know if GOG ever fixed the problem. There's been very little discussion of problems with Galaxy hooks and firewalls in GOG games online -- at least not where search engines can find discussions.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (flotsam, 1 invisible), 261 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users