GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Echoes of Mora, A First Look by flotsam #1375490
Yesterday at 03:34 PM
Yesterday at 03:34 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,292
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline OP
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline OP
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,292
Near St. Louis, MO
[Linked Image]


I am not terribly far into this, but real life has prevented me getting any further for the moment, so I thought I should share my initial impressions.

To quote the Steam page, "A boy went missing. A village drowned. And somehow you can reach into the past."

It has been a gentle, even peaceful experience so far, all of it occurring under water. As Mora, you are exploring the sunken ruins of her village following the fish you can summon to help guide your endeavours. I confess to having not done terribly much more at this stage than languidly swim about and settle into things, but it is all rather serene. The view of my forearms as they swim me around just adds a little something.

The game says you will "unlock portals to the days before the flood," and I have found a number of these. These are the Echoes, memories if you will, and they will no doubt flesh out what went on and perhaps assist in what is to come. As the game tells you, the lake remembers.

Throughout the game you will gather 'fragments,' whispers of the past which relate to the echoes. How they relate you can find out for yourself.

Activating a portal plays out as a cutscene, one in which you can both see and hear the participants. You might also be present in these scenes. And how the game plays out is apparently in Mora's hands.

The game uses both the keyboard and mouse, and while using the inventory is a little fussy, it's a small thing. There is spoken word, as well as a soundtrack and ambient sound, and a watery, colourful vista. Movement is completely free, and I don't think I have played a game where swimming is the primary means of getting around. It is rather soothing.

You can save whenever you like by exiting the game, and it utilises a single save point. Just hit continue in the start menu to pick up where you left off.

I am currently exploring the family home, trying to find the objects necessary to enter my old bedroom. I can take my time, because as the GB announcement said, there are no timers or dangers waiting around the next corner, just a quiet world full of secret places, lost belongings and stories waiting to be found. Which sounds enticing and is certainly consistent with my experience to date.


When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Re: Echoes of Mora, A First Look by flotsam [Re: Draclvr] #1375493
Yesterday at 03:53 PM
Yesterday at 03:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 85,520
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 85,520
In the Naughty Corner
Thanks for the great first look, flotsam. I've been tempted to try the VR version!

Thank you, Drac!

Ana wave


Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Echoes of Mora, A First Look by flotsam [Re: Draclvr] #1375496
Yesterday at 04:26 PM
Yesterday at 04:26 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 24,599
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
True Blue Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
True Blue Boomer

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 24,599
Chicago
Thanks flotsam (and Drac)!

Didn't know you were a VR person, Ana! Quite sure I would not be able to do VR!

Re: Echoes of Mora, A First Look by flotsam [Re: Draclvr] #1375500
Yesterday at 04:51 PM
Yesterday at 04:51 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53,978
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53,978
near Yosemite
Thank you for the first look, flotsam and Drac. I enjoyed reading your initial impressions. wave

Re: Echoes of Mora, A First Look by flotsam [Re: oldbroad] #1375502
Yesterday at 05:32 PM
Yesterday at 05:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 85,520
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 85,520
In the Naughty Corner
Originally Posted by oldbroad
Thanks flotsam (and Drac)!

Didn't know you were a VR person, Ana! Quite sure I would not be able to do VR!


I've done VR about 6 years since the Quest 2 came out. I can't do it too long or too often because I get seasick, but I absolutely love it and would play lots more if I could!


Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Echoes of Mora, A First Look by flotsam [Re: Draclvr] #1375515
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 17,942
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Space Quest Fan Offline
Graduate Boomer
Space Quest Fan  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 17,942
Upper Arlington, Ohio
thanks Draclvr & flotsam.


It's nice to be important but it is much more important to be nice.
Re: Echoes of Mora, A First Look by flotsam [Re: Space Quest Fan] #1375524
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 37,003
United Kingdom
Mad Online happy
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Online Happy
Sonic Boomer

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 37,003
United Kingdom
Thank you, flotsam. Sounds like a nice experience 👍

(Thanks also Draclvr.)


Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (mabeco, curly), 357 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
mb47, Bleumoooon, Cantillon, Majestic_12, Adverb
9443 Registered Users
Powered by UBB.threads™