GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? #426382
11/22/08 08:55 AM
11/22/08 08:55 AM
Bonney Lake, Washington
sarahandus Offline OP
Settled Boomer
sarahandus  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Bonney Lake, Washington
I just finished this nice game, loving it to the last scene. Now we have said that most of us don't like timed sequences, so why did you do that Mikael? If that last visit to Iris' apartment isn't a timed sequence, I'd like to know what you call it. Other than that I thought the hint system was a nice touch and a great help.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: sarahandus] #426494
11/22/08 11:50 AM
11/22/08 11:50 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Sarahandus -- many games have a tough final puzzle in them, and sometimes these are timed, so if the last sequence in Colour is timed, it wouldn't be unusual.

I think the idea is to increase the tension before the end, but that's just a guess. wave It would be interesting to see how many gamers enjoy a tough final challenge, and how many prefer the toughest challenges to be mid-game, leaving easier challenges near the end when the gamer is dying to know who-done-it, etc.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Becky] #426554
11/22/08 12:43 PM
11/22/08 12:43 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I didn't mind the 'timed' part at all - but I did strike lucky & clicked on the right place first time. I did think it added to the tension of the story at that point. smile

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: chrissie] #426568
11/22/08 01:01 PM
11/22/08 01:01 PM
G.H. WA
zookeeper Offline
Addicted Boomer
zookeeper  Offline
Addicted Boomer

G.H. WA
While exploring
Click to reveal..
Iris's apartment, I had already gone out the back door by mistake a bunch of times. Then I'd be locked out and have to use the code to get through the front door again. Such a bother. smile I'd kick myself everytime I made that mistake, but in the end I knew exactly where the exit was when I needed it! lol

I thought that timed sequence was pretty minor as far as timed sequences go.

I child-proofed my home... but they're still getting in!
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Becky] #426701
11/22/08 04:44 PM
11/22/08 04:44 PM
San Francisco area, Calif.
Carrie Offline
Settled Boomer
Carrie  Offline
Settled Boomer

San Francisco area, Calif.
Originally Posted By: Becky
.....It would be interesting to see how many gamers enjoy a tough final challenge, and how many prefer the toughest challenges to be mid-game, leaving easier challenges near the end when the gamer is dying to know who-done-it, etc.

Generally, I could do without any kind of challenge, anywhere in a game. I like the pace to remain the same in the 'solution' part as in the 'sleuthing' parts. pacify Nancy Drew had endgame (speed) challenges that were a little stressful, but overall, fairly gentle. Even so, I didn't care for them (ditto for those in-game).

Right now I'm savoring "The Colour of Murder" (read: playing slowly). Don't know how near I am to the end, but am probably close, since my map is well-filled. I can't remember if there were 'act-quick' challenges at the end of Carol Reed's other adventures. If so, I don't recall feeling stressed at the ends of them.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Carrie] #426732
11/22/08 05:49 PM
11/22/08 05:49 PM
Sweden
Mikael Offline
Addicted Boomer
Mikael  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sweden
Sarahandus,

To begin with answering your question in the subject line: Yes, I am listening. All the way from Israel right now, actually.

I know that lots of adventure gamers don't like timed puzzles. I seldom like them myself since I don't like to get stressed while playing games.

The time limit in the final part of the last interactive scene in The Colour of Murder is not really supposed to impose a challenge on the player. It's only there because the scene wouldn't make any real sense if the it didn't have any time limit at all.

I can also tell you that it wasn't in my first version of the game, and it was the only scene in the game that was suggested by other people. And it was subject for a lots of discussion that I won't bore anyone with here. But I DO like the way it turned out in the game.

I certainly hope that no one has any problem with it due to the time limit, since it certainly wasn't my intention.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Mikael] #427477
11/24/08 08:26 AM
11/24/08 08:26 AM
Bonney Lake, Washington
sarahandus Offline OP
Settled Boomer
sarahandus  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Bonney Lake, Washington
Mikael,

How nice to hear from you. As to the time limit on Iris' apartment, it was the shock of it that stalled me. Of course the second time through was no problem. The epilogue was wonderful, especially the punishments. And that picnic had me drooling all over the key board, nearly shorted it out.

I enjoy the leisurely pace of sleuthing through the city as seen through your eyes instead of a visitors center. I am absolutely facinated by your city.

Last edited by sarahandus; 11/24/08 08:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: sarahandus] #427486
11/24/08 08:51 AM
11/24/08 08:51 AM
New Jersey
Joan Offline
Settled Boomer
Joan  Offline
Settled Boomer

New Jersey
Just want to say how much I love ALL of the Carol Reed games. I was not at all put out by the ending of Colour of Murder. And I can't wait for more!

PC Games. Cats. Life is good.
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Joan] #427550
11/24/08 11:28 AM
11/24/08 11:28 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
How about adding a "puzzle skip" for the timed sequence?
Or allow people to choose "non-timed" as an option in the game menu or during the install?

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Jenny100] #427885
11/25/08 05:01 AM
11/25/08 05:01 AM
Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
Upsydaisy Offline
Addicted Boomer
Upsydaisy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
I've also recently finished this great game, and found the timed sequence wasn't a problem at all. (Some people have very messy storage cupboards!)
Slightly off topic here, but does anyone know the significance of the clocks with no hands. I assumed it was a humourous reference to a previous game-Time stands still?? lol

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Upsydaisy] #427916
11/25/08 08:34 AM
11/25/08 08:34 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Whether some people have trouble getting through a timed sequence isn't really the point. Timed sequences can change a game from a relaxing experience to a stressful one, even if they're relatively easy for most gamers. I don't see why a few beta testers (who thought there should be one at the end) get to choose how the game will be played for everyone else. Better to make it optional and let the gamer choose.

Just remember that some adventure game players have limited vision and mobility and what is easy for most may be impossible for them. Remember ***this thread*** that we had not so long ago.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Jenny100] #427939
11/25/08 09:27 AM
11/25/08 09:27 AM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Texas
I didn't even notice it was timed until it was pointed out to me, but as Jenny100 says, that isn't the point. If it spoils the gentle experience that people are enjoying, then it might not be desirable.

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: nickie] #427972
11/25/08 10:10 AM
11/25/08 10:10 AM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

I'd like to present my own (and totally subjective) point of view.

There are IMO two things to note.

1, I think that making those events optional in the menu would solve this problem once for all (and wouldn't be hard to make too) so for the sake of visually or motorically impaired gamers it would serve the purpose.

2, I disagree that it's senseless. Tension can be quite nice to have in the game providing you don't have to backtrack (as IMO you don't need to in CoM). I always find strange for example in The Longest Journey the infamous scene with The Gribbler.

You're attacked by a vicious creature which is obviously going to eat you and so the "run-around-the-table" begins. You watch it for a while, then go, make yourself a coffee, come back the gribbler still runs around with April (she's in quite good shape if you ask me to run for such a long time). Then someone calls you, you speak for 40 minutes on phone, then get to the screen and they still run around. smile So the tension is automatically gone.

So the timed sequence (if done right) would present the tension and feeling of urgency which (in case of this Iris' return) is really there. (it could have been done by not using real time per se, but for example action counter like it was done in different games, but the principle of punishment should be there).

Another interesting shift I've noticed in the adventure game development is that if you play any game (chess, football, hide and seek) someone wins while someone else loses. Here the game can never win over you, because we don't allow it to win (even if it would have been fair and logical in the context). So in my opinion adventure games turned away from "games" to pure "interactive novels". I myself confess that it's very convenient that I can't lose and it perfectly fits the mood of Myst for example, but in the case of a detective novel, where you really go to dangerous places, I still think it had its point to bring actually at least some danger in.

In closing I don't (and will never) argue with people who are impaired, they should have this option present in "accessibility" tab for sure. But if you take the danger out of the developer's hand entirely, all games will turn into "relaxing" experience which in my opinion (at least in case of this last scene) wasn't. laugh

Just my 2 cents. wave

Developing: ...

www.cbe-software.com

Created J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: metamorphium] #428060
11/25/08 01:58 PM
11/25/08 01:58 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: metamorphium
2, I disagree that it's senseless. Tension can be quite nice to have in the game providing you don't have to backtrack (as IMO you don't need to in CoM).

I disagree that everyone considers tension desirable.

Quote:
I always find strange for example in The Longest Journey the infamous scene with The Gribbler.

You're attacked by a vicious creature which is obviously going to eat you and so the "run-around-the-table" begins. You watch it for a while, then go, make yourself a coffee, come back the gribbler still runs around with April (she's in quite good shape if you ask me to run for such a long time). Then someone calls you, you speak for 40 minutes on phone, then get to the screen and they still run around. smile So the tension is automatically gone.

My experience was the complete opposite. It was at least two minutes before I realized the Gribbler couldn't kill April, so I was playing the game as if it could. It wasn't until I inevitably messed up and it caught up to April (without throwing me out of the game with a "game over" or "try again, loser") that I realized it couldn't actually hurt April... and I was delightfully surprised. I continued trying to avoid the Gribbler for the rest of the sequence, but it was nice to know that if the phone rang or someone came to the door, that I could leave the game without fumbling around looking for a pause button or something (not that every game even has a pause button during chase sequences).

Quote:
In closing I don't (and will never) argue with people who are impaired, they should have this option present in "accessibility" tab for sure.

I hope you won't argue with people who complain that such things destroy the mood of the game for them either.

Quote:
But if you take the danger out of the developer's hand entirely, all games will turn into "relaxing" experience which in my opinion (at least in case of this last scene) wasn't.

The Carol Reed games aren't "all games." No one plays something like Bioshock in order to be relaxed. And someone who wants excitement probably won't be playing Carol Reed (except possibly as a break from more stressful games).

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Jenny100] #428084
11/25/08 03:02 PM
11/25/08 03:02 PM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

I of course don't disagree with the fact that for some it can break the mood. That's why I'd too opt for possibility to turn this off in game options or add some cheat-skip.

Click to reveal..
But being in a flat of a murderer who returns home
isn't my idea of the relaxing weekend at all. laugh

Anyway, in East Side Story, there was a timed sequence (if I recall it right) as well. I died there myself too. laugh Was anyone bothered by that one as well?

www.cbe-software.com

Created J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Jenny100] #428100
11/25/08 03:57 PM
11/25/08 03:57 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I personally think this game has come in for far too much flak for a very mild 'timed' sequence which can be overcome by knowing exactly where to click - okay you may need guidance to do that or possibly a saved game in extreme cases.

I personally think that game developers should make the games that they want & include what they want. I do not think it is their job to cater for disabilites but perhaps ideally there should be methods in place from other agencies to overcome difficulties as there are with other forms of media e.g. books in large print, audio tape etc

Before you think of me as a cruel heartless woman, I devote my working life (& many hours of unpaid overtime)helping people with a multitude of disabilites, mainly intellectual but include sight, hearing & mobility problems to access normal activities & places of interest. I would prefer to find ways of access for the more disabled, however difficult, to open up more interesting and/or exciting opportunities for them rather than 'dumbing down' the activities to the easy & repetitive.

I read with interest the other thread about accessibility of games - I would like to see more gadgets available & perhaps some kind of 'universal' programme that can slow games down.

What I don't want to see is games being produced 'to order'. I've played a few games which have a hint of that & I far prefer a game where it is obvious the developer has gone his own way! smile

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: chrissie] #428113
11/25/08 04:58 PM
11/25/08 04:58 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Since when does providing the option to exclude timed sequences during installation (or eliminating them entirely) have anything to do with "dumbing anything down?" Doesn't the game already have a hint system for those who can't manage the "intellectual" side? Why would adding the option to avoid timed sequences for those who can't manage the "physical" side (or think timed sequences spoil the mood) make it "dumber?"

You say you don't want games being produced "to order," but look at all the complaints when a game isn't point-and-click. Look at the complaints action-oriented games get when they don't allow the gamer to remap the keyboard. There's a difference between allowing customizations that enhance the individual gamer's experience and dictating every aspect of the game.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: Jenny100] #428118
11/25/08 05:13 PM
11/25/08 05:13 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi Jenny100, I was referring to games in general rather than specifically about Colour of Murder which in my mind has been unfairly 'picked on', despite the inclusion of a hint system, because of a simple 'timed' feature the developer chose to include. No!, I don't regard the inclusion of a hint system or a bypass feature for timed puzzles as 'dumbing down', but even the inclusion of both these features would not make the game accessible to people I deal with. That is more what I'm trying to get across probably quite badly - it's nice if developers think about accessibility when creating their games but it is impossible to cater for everyone & I don't think that responsibility should be either expected or foisted upon them! There has to be other ways!

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: chrissie] #428124
11/25/08 05:22 PM
11/25/08 05:22 PM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Any adventure games that have been released have received comments that are not favorable.

Please correct me, isn't this the only thread here about the timed sequence?
And how many of the comments stated are unfavorable?

I don't think that it has been "picked on".

Commentaries about games are normal.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: MaG] #428190
11/25/08 07:22 PM
11/25/08 07:22 PM
california
catsmom Offline
Addicted Boomer
catsmom  Offline
Addicted Boomer

california
I really enjoyed playing the game Mikael. I didnt realize the ending was timed til I read this thread. Thank you for a beautiful and fun game to play. I hope you will make some more. I think this game is the best one so far of the series.
smile smile

smile
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: catsmom] #428366
11/26/08 06:56 AM
11/26/08 06:56 AM
L
LindaMarion Offline
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline
Settled Boomer
L

Isnt this bit like making the mountain out of the mole hil ?

yes there are some very hard action puzzls at the end of some games.I remeber several including sanatorium.and for those a skip over shuold have been included.

But the one in tcom is so easy its not realy a timed puzzle atall.It is *so* easy that many players didnt even realise that it a timed puzzle at all.

Click to reveal..
all you have to do is 2 cliks to the left and a forward and click on a door handle.
and reely *tons* of time to do those very littl actions.thee only people who cant do that very easily with plenty time to spare are them with very severe handicaps like mentioned above, but you cant make universal games just for them even if thts cruel sounding.

Also if you fail 2 or 3 time just to work out hat to do, so what?
you get taken back strait to the very beinning of the puzzle again,not like several games were you have to go thruogh a whole very long rimaroll every time you must start again before you get to the actual puzzle again -like in broken sword 3

Last edited by Becky; 11/26/08 08:34 AM.
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: LindaMarion] #428372
11/26/08 07:35 AM
11/26/08 07:35 AM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

I agree with Marita on this one - those comments (even if unfavorable) are vital as a feedback for independent developers. The idea of making some elements turnable on/off in game options is really good and this should be a bottom line of this thread. smile While people who don't mind a tiny bit of action will leave this option turned off, there is a choice for those who do mind.

We independent developers struggle for every non-pirated copy of our games and this really means making the best service for the players who choose us instead of the big boys. While I would never sacrifice the artistic / story vision, the controls and such are entirely different story. And I think that the feedback is extremely valuable (at least for me).

www.cbe-software.com

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: metamorphium] #428382
11/26/08 07:54 AM
11/26/08 07:54 AM
West London, UK
JennyP Offline
Adept Boomer
JennyP  Offline
Adept Boomer

West London, UK
I did the timed ending 2nd go, no probs. Got into a panic the first time.
Loved the game, thanks Mikael.

When in doubt, cuddle a catcatrub
Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: JennyP] #428401
11/26/08 08:35 AM
11/26/08 08:35 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Lindamarion -- just in case, I've put the description of how to do the timed puzzle in a spoiler tag.

Re: Colour of Murder - Mikael are you listening? [Re: MaG] #428632
11/26/08 03:38 PM
11/26/08 03:38 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Originally Posted By: MaG
Any adventure games that have been released have received comments that are not favorable.
I agree that is very true MaG & as a result, as I understand, we will never see a follow up to Keepsake - I think the developers have gone on to make action games? I think we have got to look after our AG developers & make sure that our 'moans' aren't seen to dominate our views on a game that many of us have overall enjoyed.

Quote:
Please correct me, isn't this the only thread here about the timed sequence?
And how many of the comments stated are unfavorable?

It does seem, MaG, to be the only thread here about the timed sequence & on balance most of the posts have been favorable although it's just an unfortunate human thing that the unfavourable ones always stand out! smile

Quote:
I don't think that it has been "picked on".

oops I find this difficult for two reasons although the majority of comments aren't negative - the first one is that there are a lot of posts about a minor timed sequence & yes! I'm just as guilty as anyone else for 'inflating' it! The second reason is that there are other games out there that have timed sequences not made by Indies where maybe comments made on this site will surely be missed by the developers. HER INTERACTIVE springs to mind & incorporating the subject of disability - many people who subscribe to Gameboomers are of a more mature age range than e.g. the Nancy Drew games are aimed at. They are full of challenging puzzles to the normal player let alone anyone disabled. The sad fact is that there are many 'children' in the target age range with the intellectual skills but with a variety of disabilites that would make playing most of the 19? games produced impossible! HER INTERACTIVE are a far bigger concern than MDNA Games but they have not come up with any bypass features yet! No-one seems to be mentioning that so yes, I still do feel that Mikaels game has been 'picked on'. Having said that & after reading Metamorphiums's posts & others maybe for the better!

Quote:
Commentaries about games are normal.

I think a lot of interesting things have come out of the whole thread.

Metamorphium, it's nice that you pay attention to comments & glad to hear that you wouldn't compromise your ideas. Can you tell me: how easy is it to incorporate bypass features for a timed puzzle if you are on a limited budget? Also, if you wanted to include say a sound/musical or colour matching etc puzzle - how easy would it be to incorporate in the start menu an alternative 'clue' for them? smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Redz, Pandora), 507 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users