GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Pop Up from ATT #656658
09/24/10 10:42 PM
09/24/10 10:42 PM
Houston TX
Mome Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Mome  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Houston TX
I have ATT as my internet prover with Yahoo as my web browser. I am getting a pop up mesage from ATT that I need to delete my Yahoo & get another web browser. I called them but don't understand anythinbg they are telling me & am terrified to delete ANYTHING!!!

I'm not sure that this would be a problem that GB could advise me on??

Many thanks

Mome

Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: Mome] #656662
09/24/10 10:57 PM
09/24/10 10:57 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
AT&T uses Yahoo for webmail, which is accessed using a web browser like IE or Firefox or Chrome or Netscape. As far as I know, Yahoo doesn't have its own web browser.

I don't see why AT&T would tell you you had to delete your web browser and I wonder if your computer is infected with some sort of adware. Do you have an anti-adware/anti-spyware program that you use? Like Spybot or Lavasoft's AdAware or HijackThis?

Yahoo has two modes of webmail -- a "classic" style which is low on requirements, and a newer style that uses scripting and "looks" prettier but is unnecessary. Is it possible that this "popup" you see is something from Yahoo that is trying to get you to use the newer type of webmail?

Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: Jenny100] #656664
09/24/10 11:07 PM
09/24/10 11:07 PM
Houston TX
Mome Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Mome  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Houston TX
Thank you Jenny100, I'm not sure but ATT&T seemed to know what I was talking about & said something about discontinuing their "use" of Yahoo. They awsured myu that I was not going to lose anything but then I got a popup that said IA AM GOING TO etc., the other pop up was "some people that use ATT&T & Yahoo might lose this, etc. I will probably try to get my daughter to call them & see what is going on. I do have Spyware Doctor & Malware.
I thought by posting here that maybe someother GBrs might have ATT&T & had gotten this same popup. The popup is from ATT&T(I see that in the lower left of the page. This is what it says " Some ATT&T internet customers use browsers that appear on their dekstop as SBC Yahoo or AT&T Yahoo to access there internet accounts and email. Effective October 1 this outdated browser software will not be able to be logged in to your AT^T internet service. If you are one of these users or are not sure pleae follow th easy steps shown to the left for more detia, etc. follow these instructions to remove outdated browser software.I don't know if this explains my panic any better!! On my desktop my internet icon is the E with a ciclre thru it. Ihave had Yahoo long before I got ATT&T for a provider.
Anyway, thanks for your help. I depend on GB for everything except carrying out the trash!!!

Last edited by Mome; 09/24/10 11:31 PM.
Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: Mome] #656673
09/25/10 12:36 AM
09/25/10 12:36 AM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Mome,

When I signed up for DSL with AT&T about a year ago, they informed me they had partnered with Yahoo.

Now Yahoo is in the process of turning their email-based, information-heavy Groups into a clone of Facebook for some reason unfathomable to 99% of their users and there seems to be nothing we can do to stop it. At the same time, word is that they are also changing their mail program; you may be able to continue using their 'classic' mail for a while but they intend to get rid of it.

The squawks from moderators on Yahoo Groups who use their webmail have been pretty loud and unhappy about the changes. Perhaps AT&T also objects to all this 'remodeling' and is disentangling itself from Yahoo.

In regard to that pop up message you're getting, though, I can make a guess at what's happening. Yahoo is having trouble with Internet Explorer. IE6 - and below if anyone still has it - will not display Yahoo pages correctly. If you want to continue using Yahoo, and I assume their webmail (which you can surely do without AT&T's blessing), be sure to update your browser to IE8. If you don't already have IE8, that may be what those "get rid of your browser" messages are all about.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: traveler] #656726
09/25/10 10:00 AM
09/25/10 10:00 AM
Kirkwood, MO USA
flutist Offline
Adept Boomer
flutist  Offline
Adept Boomer

Kirkwood, MO USA
I have SBC Yahoo and I don't get any popups like that. But I did upgrade to IE8. Maybe that is why.

Bets

Corgis fill your life with Joy, your heart with Love, and your soul with Sunshine.
Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: flutist] #656734
09/25/10 10:34 AM
09/25/10 10:34 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I have a friend who uses AT&T DSL and he had the same message and had to make the changes you mentioned. They have stopped using this Yahoo branded browser. He was even more nervous that you are, but he muddled through it and it worked out fine for him. I also told him to go ahead and upgrade Internet Explorer to IE8 and things are working just fine. You can continue to use your Yahoo email, just not the Yahoo browser AT&T was using.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: Mome] #656753
09/25/10 12:29 PM
09/25/10 12:29 PM
Indiana
Demosthenes Offline
Addicted Boomer
Demosthenes  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
There is a branded browser which used to be distributed by Yahoo, alternately called either "SBC Yahoo Browser" or "AT&T Yahoo Browser" depending on when you downloaded and installed it. Apparently Yahoo discontinued the browser early last year because it kept breaking web pages.

So you need to move to another browser. One option, which is probably the easiest, is to move to Internet Explorer 8.

Before you do so, you have some work to do. First, you should install Internet Explorer 8 using Windows Update, if you haven't already done so. It's very important that you use IE8 and not any earlier versions, as IE8 contains many security and stability improvements.

If you're not sure which version of IE you're running, open the program and click on Help--> About Internet Explorer. The version number should be listed in the window that pops up. Note that the Help menu is in different places in different versions of IE: in versions 7 and 8, it's a blue question-mark on the top right side, while in IE 8 it's a text menu on the left.

If you need help running Windows Update, say so and I'll post instructions.

Once you've installed version 8, you should open Internet Explorer and see if it works as you expect it to. If you use bookmarks in the Yahoo browser, you may notice they're missing in IE. You should still be able to access them by logging in at http://bookmarks.yahoo.com/. If you want those bookmarks to show up in the Internet Explorer Favorites menu, however, you'll need to export them from Yahoo and then import them into Internet Explorer. The steps to do so are fairly complicated, so I'll leave them out of this set of instructions and supply them if necessary.

Your homepage will also be different. It will probably default to the Internet Explorer default page on MSN. If you want something else as your homepage, you can change it in IE. The easiest way is to navigate to the page by typing in the url (or searching for it, or accessing it via bookmarks.) Once you're on the page you wish to use, click Tools->Internet Options. Then click the "Use current" button under the "Home Page" heading, and click OK.

Once you've done all that, use IE8 for a few days and make sure it isn't missing anything you really need. Then when you're ready, go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and remove the SBC Yahoo (OR AT&T Yahoo) Browser.

Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: Demosthenes] #656762
09/25/10 12:53 PM
09/25/10 12:53 PM
Kirkwood, MO USA
flutist Offline
Adept Boomer
flutist  Offline
Adept Boomer

Kirkwood, MO USA
I just checked my browser and it says AT&T and then over on the right to, it says powered by Yahoo. I am not having any problems getting my mail or anything. I am on AT&T U-Verse.

Bets

At the top of my screen I have in blue, ths site I am on - Windows Internet Explorer. Underneath that is File, Edit, etc. Under that is Google toolbar. Beneath that is at&t y! toolbar, under that must be Microsoft Favorites, etc.

So, do I still need to get rid of the at& y! toolbar? I guess I am really confused. My home page does not look any different then it has for months.

And, if there is a change, why didn't AT&T notify us about this?

Last edited by flutist; 09/25/10 01:41 PM.

Corgis fill your life with Joy, your heart with Love, and your soul with Sunshine.
Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: flutist] #656785
09/25/10 01:54 PM
09/25/10 01:54 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Flutist,
It sounds like you're using IE and you have toolbars for both Google and AT&T Y! That's not the same as having a custom Yahoo browser. So you don't need to do anything.

Mome,
It sounds like the Yahoo browser has been discontinued. If you can follow Demosthenes' instructions, you should be OK.

Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: Jenny100] #656789
09/25/10 02:07 PM
09/25/10 02:07 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
That's right - two different animals. My friend was still using the old custom Yahoo browser from AT&T.

Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: Draclvr] #656808
09/25/10 03:30 PM
09/25/10 03:30 PM
Houston TX
Mome Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Mome  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Houston TX
Thank you all for all the help. My daughter came over & did something, something,something!!? & I think I may be OK.

Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: Mome] #656829
09/25/10 07:24 PM
09/25/10 07:24 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Daughter to the rescue.

Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: Jenny100] #656831
09/25/10 07:29 PM
09/25/10 07:29 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
My 87 year-old mother's favorite phrase!

Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: Draclvr] #656850
09/25/10 10:15 PM
09/25/10 10:15 PM
Houston TX
Mome Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Mome  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Houston TX
Well, she says she installed IE 8 so we'll see what happens after Oct 1, the deadline. I really only care about not losing my GB connection!!

Re: Pop Up from ATT [Re: Mome] #657344
09/27/10 11:13 PM
09/27/10 11:13 PM
Indiana
Demosthenes Offline
Addicted Boomer
Demosthenes  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
It sounds like you should be fine, Mome. Good luck!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, 1 invisible), 119 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users