GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
GB Walkthroughs #1194786
08/26/19 11:41 AM
08/26/19 11:41 AM
Florida
B
bootskitty Offline OP
Settled Boomer
bootskitty  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
B

Florida
I've been using GameBoomers walkthroughs for many, many years. I've always counted on them to be the best and most accurate. All of a sudden, I see that they have not been updated since November of 2018. I am wondering what is going on with WRITTEN walkthroughs on GameBoomers. Now I have to search the internet for written walkthroughs, and I find that they are few and far between; and when I find them, they are written by people whose ENGLISH is not their first language. There are many new adventure games out there with no GameBoomers walkthroughs.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1194789
08/26/19 11:54 AM
08/26/19 11:54 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
GameBoomers' primary walkthrough writer was MaG, our former administrator, and she retired around the end of June 2017; she is still helping out GameBoomers a great deal behind the scenes but also is not physically able to keep up with writing walkthroughs anymore, which is an extremely demanding task. I doubt that anyone who has never tried to write a walkthrough has the faintest idea of how much time and effort is involved, but it is huge.

And this is why you don't see someone else stepping up and volunteering to do what MaG did for many, many years. We have received a few walkthroughs from a few other people since, for which we are grateful, but most people don't have the talent, the inclination, or the time.

People here seem to prefer written walkthroughs, but with the advent of video walkthroughs on YouTube, we are seeing less and less of the former. Folks would rather do a video walkthrough on YouTube with the possibility that they might earn some money doing so by receiving a lot of views of their video, whereas a lot of written walkthroughs are done with no monetary compensation.

MaG was a phenomenon when it comes to writing walkthroughs for games, and I feel quite confident in saying that we will never see anyone like her again. Fortunately her enormous output is available for everyone to use in the walkthrough section of GameBoomers.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1194839
08/27/19 04:24 AM
08/27/19 04:24 AM
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Lion_1251 Offline
Settled Boomer
Lion_1251  Offline
Settled Boomer

bootskitty, why don't you try to write a text walkthrough?
I am writing walkthroughs about 3 to 4 years and I started because I couldn't find anything about Montague's Mount, not even an English one.

For a text walkthrough I play the game 3 times:
1: I play the game to find all the solutions
2: I write the walkthrough while I am playing the game( I have a pc and a laptop)
3: I play the game by the text walkthrough and make the screenshots for the walkthrough.

And after that the biggest job: edit the screenshots, not only putting signs and text on them but also resize them otherwise they take to much space on the website.

Writing the text is the smallest task: the text for the walkthrough for The five Cores Remastered is finished in Dutch.
I have taken the screenshots about 850, I don't use them all. I guess there will be about 300 screenshots in the walkthrough.

And the last proces is to translate the text, yes English is not my first languace.
I do that the best I can, I use Google translate but I read and correct every line after the translation.
And that can sometimes difficult, I think and write in Dutch and use the Dutch sayings and these translate not so good.

Then I send the walkthrough to Louis Koot and he places them on his website.

Louis is writing walkthrough for more than 25 years and made about 500 walkthroughs in Dutch, the last couple of years also in English.

We make only walkthroughs for the games we like, we don't like horror.
A little bit creepy and suspence is allright like the games of The Initiate.

We are both from an older generation and we are not used to speak and write in English.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1194857
08/27/19 08:49 AM
08/27/19 08:49 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
bootskitty, try the walkthroughs that Lion and Louis Koot are writing. English may not be their first language, but they are just excellent text walkthroughs complete with my favorite, screenshots!

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: Draclvr] #1194903
08/27/19 08:33 PM
08/27/19 08:33 PM
Florida
B
bootskitty Offline OP
Settled Boomer
bootskitty  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
B

Florida
Thank you ... now how do I find their walkthroughs?

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: Marian] #1194904
08/27/19 08:37 PM
08/27/19 08:37 PM
Florida
B
bootskitty Offline OP
Settled Boomer
bootskitty  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
B

Florida
Oh my goodness, I've been using her walkthroughs since I discovered GameBoomers years and years ago. I guess all good things must come to an end; but I am heartbroken. My filing cabinet is FILLED with MaG walkthroughs. In fact, before I buy a game, I always checked to see if she had posted a walkthrough. I began playing adventure games in 1986, and I am playing them to this day although I am 33 years older. I've written one walkthrough that GB posted; and I do know how difficult it is; but mine was a very simple one without screenshots. MaG was amazing. She will be GREATLY missed.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1194905
08/27/19 08:56 PM
08/27/19 08:56 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Originally Posted by bootskitty
Thank you ... now how do I find their walkthroughs?

Click on the yellow link Lion provided in his post above.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1194908
08/27/19 09:38 PM
08/27/19 09:38 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Lion posted a link in his post. Oops! I see you beat me to it, oldbroad!

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1194909
08/27/19 10:08 PM
08/27/19 10:08 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I am glad you asked about this, bootskitty. MaG is greatly missed, for sure - and not just because of her walkthroughs but because she is a lovely person and helpful to all of us. She will always be much appreciated. smile

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195047
08/29/19 08:01 AM
08/29/19 08:01 AM
Lion_1251 Offline
Settled Boomer
Lion_1251  Offline
Settled Boomer

I don't want this discussion on this forum but I get no answer on my PM to bootskitty so I will ask the question here.

The first post in this thread: the part about MaG nothing wrong with that but that part about walkthrough writers whose English is not their first languace.
When I read that part my first reaction was that I will stop making English walkthroughs because that part sounded like that these walkthroughs are inferior and not accurate.

I was not the only one, you can read the reaction of Louis on his website.

I don't know yet what we are gonna do but I was certainly not amused when I read the second part of that post.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195049
08/29/19 08:25 AM
08/29/19 08:25 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Lion, clearly you want the discussion here or you wouldn't be posting it. If it's private between you and bootskitty than you simply wait for a response or let it go. No offense, but you are constantly saying you won't write anymore or that you are shutting your website down or killing access to your links because someone posting a direct link to your walkthroughs like they do on 100% of all WT's on the internet including GB's. Either you write them and keep the website alive because it keeps you happy and it's what you want to do, or close it and just play for fun. To try and place blame and threaten to shut down and act hurt by the words of one of my member who never knew you even existed and wasn't talking about you before posting is really over the top and not appreciated in the least.

EDIT: I also DO NOT appreciate you linking to my website in a derogatory fashion. I just saw Louis's post on his website. You are publicly shaming someone who did not know you or your website and using it to gather sympathy and compliments. This is my home. Do not trash it. I will not tolerate it.

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 08/29/19 09:14 AM.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195078
08/29/19 12:47 PM
08/29/19 12:47 PM
Lion_1251 Offline
Settled Boomer
Lion_1251  Offline
Settled Boomer

I will end this discussio right here and right now, you confuse me with Louis.
I never myself have threatened to close the website, the website is owned by Louis and I have no saying over the website.

Clearly people may offend us but if we say something about then we are the bad guys, and we will be removed from the site.
You don't have to remove me from the site, I will remove myself from gameboomers.
I will not make any English text walkthroughs anymore and probally Louis will remove all English walkthroughs from his website.

Are you happy now, lesser English text walkthroughs online?

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: Lion_1251] #1195088
08/29/19 02:07 PM
08/29/19 02:07 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted by Lion_1251
Are you happy now, lesser English text walkthroughs online?

If it means no longer having to tolerate such adolescent outbursts from Louis in regards to this website, then my answer to your question is a resounding yes. I graduated from high school a long time ago and have no desire to relive the experience.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195089
08/29/19 02:15 PM
08/29/19 02:15 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Lion, you miss the distinct difference between Louis saying that Gameboomers allows disrespect to English as second language speakers - which is not true - and bootskitty indicating she has problems understanding ESL speakers.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195093
08/29/19 04:48 PM
08/29/19 04:48 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I do not remove posts unless they are offensive. While you may have taken offense, she did not mean any.

You are free to do what you like with your walkthroughs. It's your website. It will not evoke any emotion in me, happy or sad because I've never used it. Do what makes you happy.

Have a great day!

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1195162
08/30/19 11:33 AM
08/30/19 11:33 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Dear me .... What a very silly "lose, lose" affair rolleyes

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195243
08/31/19 07:58 AM
08/31/19 07:58 AM
Roswell, GA,USA
Murphy Offline
Settled Boomer
Murphy  Offline
Settled Boomer

Roswell, GA,USA
Seems to me a few apologies are needed here.....
I'm just a typical 'lurker', and a board member for quite a while (meaning I'm older than dirt). But bootskitty made some unfortunate choices of words in bemoaning what any of us who've been gaming a while have noticed: the lack of text-based walkthroughs. Yes, Mags was great, but Louis & Dick are still doing it, doing it well, and giving it their best effort. To denigrate that isn't necessary.
browneyedtigre, I know it's not easy being a Board moderator. Mostly a thankless job. But...it also calls for an evenhandedness and an ability to show restraint on things.

This escalated to the detriment of all concerned. And we're the poorer for it. We should be supporting one another-that's part of this site's long-standing credo, and what drew us to it. Just one guy's opinion, but it would be nice if a few words of kindness/apology"/gee, I wish I could've said that better" could be made.....In private, or as needs be. Because this little spat has resulted in a loss for all, and no one looking the better for it.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195251
08/31/19 09:09 AM
08/31/19 09:09 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Murphy, while I respect your sentiments, things aren't always what they appear to be on the surface. It's been an ongoing on/off the board affair since 2017. I remained silent because our members used the WT's. I will not air our dirty laundry and I will not apologize. I have nothing to apologize for. Neither does bootskitty. Her comment was not in any way shape or form criticizing their WT's. I perfectly understood her comment. Have you ever googled a walkthrough and found a "google translated" English walkthrough? They make zero sense at times. It is not a critique of the writer, their WT's are likely awesome in their first language, but if not translated by an English speaking translator they are very hard to follow. That is a fact, not a criticism of the author. And she wasn't talking about Louis's website. She never knew it existed.

Also, don't know if you missed the statement regarding GameBoomers publicly posted on their main page. It has since been removed. I am not a moderator here, I am the admin. It is my home. If you trash it, I take it very personally. I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears in keeping the website running the best I can.

We live in a society where someone takes offense at literally everything. I cannot, nor will I stress over pleasing all. It is impossible task. To those that may think I was harsh or unprofessional, I apologize, but as I said originally, things aren't always as they seem. I stand by comments.
Have a great day.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195253
08/31/19 09:36 AM
08/31/19 09:36 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
As someone who has been privy to the "ongoing on/off the board affair since 2017," I will only add that Ana's post above says it all, while being accurate and fair but also discreet. We are fortunate to have her as the administrator of GameBoomers.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: Murphy] #1195255
08/31/19 09:53 AM
08/31/19 09:53 AM
Canal Fulton, OH
Sparkle Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sparkle  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Canal Fulton, OH
Murphy: The statement that was posted on the referenced website re: GB that Ana spoke of was indeed highly critical and unfair. .I saw it before it was removed. It showed all I needed to know to agree that Ana has nothing for which to apologize. Otherwise the author would not have chosen to remove it so as to give the impression that Ana is the one who was out of line. Removing a statement when called on it is unfair and dishonest.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195262
08/31/19 10:43 AM
08/31/19 10:43 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I also saw the statement about Gameboomers on the referenced website. My first reaction was, "... how whiny and immature." And I want to thank Ana for the way this was handled... fact based, fair and professional. The "behind the scenes" issues that Marian and Ana have faced would have caused most of us to react in a much less positive manner.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: Sparkle] #1195264
08/31/19 11:08 AM
08/31/19 11:08 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I wish to say that in my opinion both BrownEyedTigre and Marian have acted commendably - and totally in the interests of Gameboomers - during this issue AND from well before it.
Because the very childish behaviour of Louis and Lion has been noticeable from the time they first registered with GB.

Yes. The walkthroughs they provide between them are exceptional. But the world won't end if they decide not to offer English versions !! Good grief !!

And for Louis to try and discredit Gameboomer staff and members via a public website statement was just plain shocking.

So, as far as I'M concerned, thank you and well done, BrownEyedTigre and Marian kissy kissy kissy

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195273
08/31/19 01:01 PM
08/31/19 01:01 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Thank you so very much Marian, Sparkle, Draclvr and Mad for your support. It truly means the world to me. hearts

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195275
08/31/19 01:14 PM
08/31/19 01:14 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Louis has now posted this on his website (and when he says "follow the discussion here," there is a link to this thread on GameBoomers:

If you wander why I have removed all English walkthroughs, and never will do English walkthroughs again, then follow the discussion here. In my humble opinion they are selfrighteus and a bunch of hypocritical people who don't deserve my walkthroughs. I shall keep this link up for another few days but remove this link and this text because I'm going all Dutch again. Not because I'm impressed by all the nonsense they are talking about over there. As I said before, YOU do not get to tell me what I can or can't do on my own site.

To not let anyone suffer, who hasn't been involved in that discusting and very offensive discussion I have given Dick Leeuw permission to sent any of my and his English walkthroughs to you if you contact him. It's up to Dick to do so or not. Do not contact me if you're not master the Dutch Language. All email that's not in Dutch will be rejected by me.

Again, when he refers to the "discussion," he is talking about this thread, and has provided a link to it.

Re: GB Walkthroughs [Re: bootskitty] #1195276
08/31/19 01:42 PM
08/31/19 01:42 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Thanks Marian! Sounds like standard operating procedure from them. I expect no less and not surprised. It's fascinating to know how much power has been given to us to shut down an entire half of their website without trying. I was not aware we had that kind of pull! grin

Don't feed the Trolls
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Urban Worrier, FlyingDutchman42), 254 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users